Expatriation Apocalypse - My New Guide

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Expatriation Apocalypse - My New Guide

Post by Jester »

Ghost wrote:
Sometimes you will hear murmurs of the phrase “stay and fight.” Such a notion is absurd. What exactly would one fight? An entire shitty culture? A totalitarian government? How would one fight? Blogging is better than doing nothing, but it is not fighting. This is an absurd idea. Of all who mention doing this, none actually do it.
Some will say that Americans (substitute Western people of your choice) will stand and fight when the time comes. But is that not a tacit acknowledgement that it is already too late? The time for that has come and gone. And you can't win domestically, so I see expatriation as the only sensible option. Don’t you think out of all the empires from the past, someone would have successfully done it if it was possible? Wouldn't some culture have stood up and said 'enough is enough' and stopped the totalitarian government? Let the more reasonable man depart from such ideas and focus on himself and escaping the West to build his life.

It’s a big world out there. There are about 200 countries in the world. All you need is one of them. One safe haven. One place to make a life, raise a family, have a home. Granted, many of these countries would not be good choices. But still...there are about 200 and you only need one. Even if you could whittle it down to choosing among 5 countries, that's still more than you need.

I expect more totalitarian laws and policies - and even travel restrictions - from the daddygov in the years to come. 'Staying and fighting' is impossible and just waiting and hoping for some windfall is a bad idea. Virtually anyone could follow my advice and find some avenue of escape. I can't promise great success, riches, or the hottest women. I can only say that your chances would go from 0% to more than 0%, but some plans will be more successful than others.
+10

Gold.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:
Good on you for writing this, but we realize it will not sell well, yes? In a low trust society, people don't trust sincere publications telling them how to make rational steps that will require hard work to proceed to an eventual future goal, because, you know, they don't trust people. And who can blame them? However, if you promise them things that will instantly result in huge rewards with minimal effort then SOME people will buy it, because that is what they WANT to hear, and it will be so much what they want to hear that it will override their instinctive mistrust. Hence paradoxically they are so afraid of being scammed that they end up being scammed. In this market, blowing smoke up people's asses will always win.
Oh, horseshit.

We have the internet now, and we can tell shit from shinola.

It's going to sell a LOT and I am only jealous that I didn't do it first.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

I agree with the post at the top, but would like to add that "fighting" frequently translates into willing something to go differently- to basically emote in a different direction. This is not what someone sits down & thinks in an articulated way, it's just functionally what the term amounts to. When this isn't true, the idea of fighting tends to be asking the exact source of the problem to counteract its own actions. This is like thinking that someone else is going to use their gun to protect your life from their bullets. Who knows? Maybe a serial killer will grow a conscience at the last second & cut their own throat instead of your daughter's... or maybe not.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Jester wrote:
Cornfed wrote: Good on you for writing this, but we realize it will not sell well, yes? In a low trust society, people don't trust sincere publications telling them how to make rational steps that will require hard work to proceed to an eventual future goal, because, you know, they don't trust people. And who can blame them? However, if you promise them things that will instantly result in huge rewards with minimal effort then SOME people will buy it, because that is what they WANT to hear, and it will be so much what they want to hear that it will override their instinctive mistrust. Hence paradoxically they are so afraid of being scammed that they end up being scammed. In this market, blowing smoke up people's asses will always win.
Oh, horseshit.

We have the internet now, and we can tell shit from shinola.
Cornfed is exactly right. In fact I have a successful business based on the fact that internet users can't tell shit from shinola. Whenever I try to sell something of real value, that inevitably fails.

Of course I am glad Ghost wrote the book. It's still worth producing things of value for the benefit of the tiny remaining population of decent people, just don't expect it to make money.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 21st, 2020, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

So Ghost, any news on whether it'll be out in book form? Interested in buying it, as I have very low funds & an interest in where some things come from anthropologically (if that's the right word).
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

All right, very cool. Check back in a week?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Leaving for good? Can't say I blame you, if so. Well, keep us posted. That is something I'm definitely interested in.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stag
Freshman Poster

Post by Stag »

Looks good.

Is the info in the book ideal for those in the UK?