Going to Malta. Need an Advice!

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
TBaker
Freshman Poster

Going to Malta. Need an Advice!

Post by TBaker »

Hello,

I am thinking of moving to Malta. Is there any one else around who lives in Malta and could give me an honest opinion as to what it would be like to live there. I have visited the Country on a number of occasions.

I would need a full time job. I work in finance field at the moment and we would also like to buy a property, open bank account, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
Baldpacker
Freshman Poster

Re: Going to Malta. Need an Advice!

Post by Baldpacker »

Every one has its own experience of relocating there. It depends on how well will you integrate there. Here is one sample of relocating:

For a job try to look for fresh vacancies, which are not posted on mass sources. Some sites serve for big companies and have vacancies just in their database without spreading them elsewhere. Try to look at https://www.workingtown.com/job-vacanci ... cies-malta
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Go to NaughtyNomad.com blog. He lives in Malta quite a bit of the time. Ask him.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

I would suggest visiting first if you have not done so already.

I went there several years ago and I was shocked at the prices of everything. The women were not as attractive as I had imagined (think half Arab and half Southern Italian), and there was a bit of island fever there. I also found that the people were xenophobic and suspicious of foreigners to a large degree. Granted the young and parting demographic was very kind and fun, but the older people simply tolerated your presence unless you were buying something from them.

I would go again if the Euro plummets in value, but living there is just too isolating, expensive, and without the type of female talent that I come to expect in a European country.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Malta is too small and less than half million people are living there, all what you need for living has to be brought in by ship and air cargo,
tourism plays a major role of income and everything there is quite expensive. A strongly Catholic corner of this world. If you are not accustomed to such a life style you will get bored soon.

I got the same feeling many years later again in Hawaii. Moving around with a motorcycle and a short time later I was again there where I started.

If you really like islands so much in that region, what about Greece, Crete?

I also heard some good comments about Cyprus, but I cannot confirm anything, I never visited that island.
Franckie77
Freshman Poster

Post by Franckie77 »

Baldpacker wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 10:28 pm
Every one has its own experience of relocating there. It depends on how well will you integrate there. Here is one sample of relocating:

paris taxi Airport

For a job try to look for fresh vacancies, which are not posted on mass sources. Some sites serve for big companies and have vacancies just in their database without spreading them elsewhere. Try to look at https://www.workingtown.com/job-vacanci ... cies-malta
Unbelievable, thank you for sharing link
andako
Freshman Poster

Post by andako »

Malta is a good choice.
Prices are extremely different in summer and winter. your best option is to wait untill winter or begin of spring to rent something. It will save you easily several hundreds/month. If you're going to buy property in Malta, check out their new Immigration Programme
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Sicily is a lot cheaper. I went in December and there wasn't much to do once you'd seen the Godfather Part 3 sights. I almost starved from lack of food.

On the plus side the scenery is spectacular. It would be the ultimate place to explore if you had a car or a motorbike.

I went to the Capuchin catacombs a couple of times to see Rosalia Lombardo. It's a must see for Winston... he'd love debunking her various legends. I think it's the most memorable place I've ever visited.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.