I need to find a country to emigrate to

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
shiro2142
Freshman Poster

I need to find a country to emigrate to

Post by shiro2142 »

Hello,

I have been a member of HA since 2014 when I went to Thailand through CIEE to teach English. Since then I have served in the military as an officer, a second lieutenant/chaplain candidate and decided to discontinue that path as I needed to get out of the stifling American and evangelical circles that put me in, and I studied abroad in Costa Rica for a year from which I learned some almost passable Spanish (I have equivalent of three years of study), after which I earned my post bac BS in Political Science. My first degree was in Philosophy. I come from an originally upper middle class family that includes professionals and military officers in Korea.

I will be taking my first online real estate courses and retaking the third semester Spanish course this next summer online through a local community college. Even though I don´t want to practice real estate anywhere in the states I am still hoping I can use some of the principles including legal stuff abroad and that the laws and regulations won´t be too different.

For reasons that have been covered in depth since this website´s founding I cannot stand to live in America and having nothing but antipathy and quite frankly hate towards the people and institutions herein. There is no way I will start a serious relationship or business in the USA partly because there is too much blowback and regulation but ultimately because you are shooting yourself in the foot too often times if you do.

I have visited 23 countries but I like Latin America the best as a region. I have spent quite a bit of time in Mexico, Costa Rica, and visited Colombia, Nicaragua, Panama in Latin America but I need help to determine which LA country is best suited for me as far as eventually establishing a career or business for an expat turned naturalized citizen. I want to at some point start a family and not just see prostitutes but if I do I want to be able to support them in a middle class lifestyle with good opportunities as well. I don´t want my kids to only speak English like a bunch of ignorant second class citizen imbeciles but at the same time I want them to be able to choose what they want to be.

I am torn between Mexico, Paraguay, and Colombia. I like Mexico but it may sound stupid but I am afraid of a potential North American Union with the US and Canada and I want something more exotic and perhaps more western European like Argentina´s or Chile´s Italian and German influences. Colombia is fantastic in so many ways including year round spring time wheather in cities like Medellin and the incredible beauty of the women but it is dangerous, assaults and thefts are common and the police unfortunately don´t do much of their job. Paraguay has what appears to be a more streamlined and easier immigration process but I hear that the quality of life is not on par with other nations in the region.

Please help me with your input in this discussion drawing from your experiences in different South and Central American nations as to which one is best to commit to. I am well aware that there is not perfect place but I want to find the perfect fit for me entonces gracias por me da su ayuda para eligirla.

Again, thank you in advance for the time and consideration of anyone who replies.

Best,
Shiro2142
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I need to find a country to emigrate to

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

You should visit Paraguay, Uruguay, and Argentina on a single trip then decide which suits you best. I am not sure about Uruguay, but the other two have simple residency programs.

You might also consider Japan which is dying to attract people like yourself. There are Koreans and Westerners there aplenty and it is just a great place to live and raise a family (if you are into that sort of thing.)

Real estate transactions and sales can be very different abroad. If you want to be in the real estate game on a multinational level, consider being an investor who buys and rents out properties using a property manager. That way, you can let local experts do all the dirty work while you collect the rent monies. You just have to develop the relationships and understand the nuances of local rental markets.
shiro2142
Freshman Poster

Post by shiro2142 »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 6:34 pm
You should visit Paraguay, Uruguay, and Argentina on a single trip then decide which suits you best. I am not sure about Uruguay, but the other two have simple residency programs.

You might also consider Japan which is dying to attract people like yourself. There are Koreans and Westerners there aplenty and it is just a great place to live and raise a family (if you are into that sort of thing.)

Real estate transactions and sales can be very different abroad. If you want to be in the real estate game on a multinational level, consider being an investor who buys and rents out properties using a property manager. That way, you can let local experts do all the dirty work while you collect the rent monies. You just have to develop the relationships and understand the nuances of local rental markets.
Thank you so much for this erudite and well though out answer. I apprecite it alot! I am not drawn to either South Korea or Japan because of the workaholic culture and high prices, even though rent in Korea can be cheap.

Out of the three South American countries you mentioned which in your experience had the best quality of life overall? Aun no he visitado ninguno de estos paises lamentablmente.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

shiro2142 wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 7:26 pm
Out of the three South American countries you mentioned which in your experience had the best quality of life overall?
That is quite difficult to answer because each of us has different personal criteria so it is subjective. Also, I have only visited Argentina and Uruguay personally, but from what I gather from research and insight from people, I would opt for Argentina.

Argentina:
Pros - Very cheap to live like a king since the dollar goes far, they have the most beautiful women of the three (mostly Italian-Spaniard mix in Buenos Aires), very European cultural milieu, world class cuisine and wine, very proud and sophisticated people, best place for a single man due to nightlife and quality of women.
Cons - Crime is the biggest concern there, banking there involves some minor capital controls on funds, permanent residency takes 36 months and you must be there 6 months out of each of those years. Lot's of expat Westerners have discovered B.A. and the scarcity factor is lost there.

Uruguay:
Pros - Women are similar-looking to beautiful Argentines, Relatively low crime, Montevideo is on the coastline, very few expats even know about it, also very proud people who are only slightly less sophisticated than Argentines, but often just as attractive.
Cons - Women have a tendency to be fatter than Argentines.

Paraguay:
Pros - Easy residency process that takes about 60 days and permanent residency is easy also, best health care of the three (so I am told), crime is relatively low. This is said to be the most family-friendly of the three.
Cons - Women tend to be less attractive than the other two, relatively boring and sleepy environment with little nightlife, very few expats even know about it.

My favorite of the three is Argentina. I have been there 3 times and liked it very much. Violent crime does not tend to affect me anywhere because of my imposing size, but I did get ripped of by taxi cab driver who claimed I gave him counterfeit bills (after he switched them with slight of hand). That is common scam there.

Latin America is not my region of preference in the world, but since my European summer is ruined because of the lockdown, I might plan to resume my travels to those there (along with Southern Brazil which has the most gorgeous European women on the planet.)
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Doug Casey is an American expat that helps people move to Argentina. There's lots of info on his website...

International Man
https://internationalman.com/
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

May 3rd, 2020, 8:26 pm
Uruguay:
Pros - Women are similar-looking to beautiful Argentines, Relatively low crime, Montevideo is on the coastline, very few expats even know about it, also very proud people who are only slightly less sophisticated than Argentines, but often just as attractive.
Ooooooo weeeeeeee
Contrarian Expatriate wrote: .... Violent crime does not tend to affect me anywhere because of my imposing size, but I did get ripped of by taxi cab driver who claimed I gave him counterfeit bills (after he switched them with slight of hand). That is common scam there.
So that's why you always give them the bills at once and ask him to count the money before you get out of the taxi. If there's no light in the cab, pidelelo para encender/prender la luz (ask 'em to put on the light) and put the RIGHT AMOUNT into his hand the FIRST TIME because the moment you look down to get the rest of money to cancel the bill (no pun intended), he'll switch 'em.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 3:31 am
Uruguay:
Ooooooo weeeeeeee
Contrarian Expatriate wrote: .... Violent crime does not tend to affect me anywhere because of my imposing size, but I did get ripped of by taxi cab driver who claimed I gave him counterfeit bills (after he switched them with slight of hand). That is common scam there.
So that's why you always give them the bills at once and ask him to count the money before you get out of the taxi. If there's no light in the cab, pidelelo para encender/prender la luz (ask 'em to put on the light) and put the RIGHT AMOUNT into his hand the FIRST TIME because the moment you look down to get the rest of money to cancel the bill (no pun intended), he'll switch 'em.
That was over a decade ago well before Uber and Bolt. And that scam only works one time because I know it now.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

The great thing about a lot of Latin America is that you can gain citizenship easily enough - they are former European colonies that are still open to migration from Europe/The Americas just like Australia, New Zealand and Canada. I think getting Colombian citizenship takes five years.

Well... I like Argentina a lot but it gets cold down there in winter and if you are earning a local salary - you have to put up with wild inflation which is happening now - I couldn't deal with that but Argentina would be a good choice if you are earning dollars and are able to keep out of the madcap economic bullshite that plagues that country every so often.

Colombia is my favourite country in world - it's dangerous if you are f***ing whores and taking drugs - if you're not doing that and keep wits about you then it isn't - with a lot of South America - you can't just wander where you want - you have to have you bearings about you all the time which a lot of people - especially noobs - don't f***ing get - I was in Lima and I was in centro and over the bridge were all these beautiful yellow colonial buildings which was a place called Rimac and I wanted to walk over the bridge and check this place out and my cousin 'you can't do that, you'll get mugged' I mean, if you lived in Medellin then and stuck to Laureles and Envigado then you'll as nice as life as in Europe. It seems you know all this anyway!

For me - Colombia has cheap property prices, better infrastructure, wonderful weather, plenty of nice cities and towns to settle in, reasonably easy residence and citizenship pathway, the people are very nice and polite - compared to the Spanish, they're amazing.

I think with Colombia you need to make your move now, because if Colombia signs an FTA with the Chinese these next few years, property prices are going to the roof like they have done in Lima (and the rest of Peru...) once Chinese investment hits a country - shit gets expensive like it has done in Chile and Costa Rica but then things get better and wages go up.

But I think a golden opportunity exists in Colombia if you want to buy a nice place in a nice city with nice weather and friendly people.

Argentina is good as well but the crazy inflation and cold winters do my head in. People are nice and I like it a lot but Colombia is far better for me but it depends on you.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

May 4th, 2020, 3:52 am
Uruguay:
Ooooooo weeeeeeee
That was over a decade ago well before Uber and Bolt. And that scam only works one time because I know it now.
Uber and Bolt are prepaid, and I understand what you've said entirely now.
shiro2142
Freshman Poster

Post by shiro2142 »

May 4th, 2020, 5:35 pm
May 4th, 2020, 3:52 am
Uruguay:
Ooooooo weeeeeeee
Uber and Bolt are prepaid, and I understand what you've said entirely now.
I though the same about avoiding the scam at the point of payment and alternatives to taxis when I first saw this. In Nicaragua you have no choice but to take traditional taxis.
shiro2142
Freshman Poster

Post by shiro2142 »

Thank you so much for the responses!

I was able to check out the law firm specializing in helping expats apply for permanent residency in Paraguay from Doug Casey´s internationalman website and sent them an email inquiring which documents I need to have translated and notarized in the embassy in Washington. Both the Paraguayan government website and expat relocation sites say that I need to deposit 5000 dollars to a bank which is refundable and pay 900 dollars in fees not counting the US side stuff to apply and then it takes 3 months to process. But if I do get citizenship this second passport is fairly powerful in that I can go to a high number of countries visa free.

¡Vamos a ello!

http://www.embajadadeparaguay.ec/index. ... radicacion

http://www.migraciones.gov.py/index.php ... l-paraguay

https://paraguayresidency.com/paraguay-residency-visa/

https://internationalman.com/articles/o ... ay-part-2/
shiro2142
Freshman Poster

Post by shiro2142 »

Also, there is short video on youtube about approximate monthly costs of living and required documents for different types of residency applications. On youtube you can turn on CC English subtitles in the options.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TYFKavqRcJ8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/TYFKavqRcJ8
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

shiro2142 wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 7:33 pm

I was able to check out the law firm specializing in helping expats apply for permanent residency in Paraguay from Doug Casey´s internationalman website and sent them an email inquiring which documents I need to have translated and notarized in the embassy in Washington. Both the Paraguayan government website and expat relocation sites say that I need to deposit 5000 dollars to a bank which is refundable and pay 900 dollars in fees not counting the US side stuff to apply and then it takes 3 months to process. But if I do get citizenship this second passport is fairly powerful in that I can go to a high number of countries visa free.

¡Vamos a ello!

This is good info. The Paraguayan attorney I contacted tried to charge me $5000 when this guy charges $900 so thanks for that.

I also noticed that Paraguayans can travel to Russia visa free! That is great news!
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

May 4th, 2020, 8:31 pm
shiro2142 wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 7:33 pm

¡Vamos a ello!

This is good info. The Paraguayan attorney I contacted tried to charge me $5000 when this guy charges $900 so thanks for that.

I also noticed that Paraguayans can travel to Russia visa free! That is great news!
I think all Mercosur countries can now travel to Russia visa free - and Iran too! I might do that on my own Peruvian passport and see how it works out!

I was going to comment on being scammed off some puta taxista - happened to me in Lima in the same way as you described it - they only do that shit once and you're onto them - what do they say 'You win or you learn' :D
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Good write up about living in Asuncion in 2020. I don't think I would bother with Paraguay but then I have never been... the author below makes it sound wonderful!

https://www.mylatinlife.com/blog/2020/3 ... guide-2020