I need to find a country to emigrate to

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I need to find a country to emigrate to

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

yick wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 10:41 pm
Good write up about living in Asuncion in 2020. I don't think I would bother with Paraguay but then I have never been... the author below makes it sound wonderful!

https://www.mylatinlife.com/blog/2020/3 ... guide-2020
This thread is turning into a goldmine. Thanks for the wonderful link. The other city write ups are useful too.

I am thinking of doing winters in South America and summers in Eastern Europe from now on. Paraguay and Argentina would be great places to up my Spanish competency.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 1:34 am
yick wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 10:41 pm
Good write up about living in Asuncion in 2020. I don't think I would bother with Paraguay but then I have never been... the author below makes it sound wonderful!

https://www.mylatinlife.com/blog/2020/3 ... guide-2020
This thread is turning into a goldmine. Thanks for the wonderful link. The other city write ups are useful too.

I am thinking of doing winters in South America and summers in Eastern Europe from now on. Paraguay and Argentina would be great places to up my Spanish competency.
That sounds like a wonderful life plan @Contrarian Expatriate How many men would love to live a life like that! Good site that though for all things South America...

I like this one too...

https://expat-chronicles.com/
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

One thing you need to understand about these citizenship programs is that you are dealing with bureaucrats who have the right to interpret the law. So even if the law says you can get citizenship bu marriage or residency or investment, and you pay all the fees and fill out the application correctly and hire a local law firm, a bureaucrat can still reject the application just because he feels like it.

Consider how @Winston's application for a visa for Dianne was summarily rejected by the USA consulate after he paid $160 and despite the low risk she posed, at least according to how Winston told the story: viewtopic.php?style=21&p=326953#p326953. If the USA is this arbitrary over a mere tourist visa, just imagine how a place like Paraguay could reject citizenship applications. Or maybe they don't permanently reject but you have to pay another $5000 to the lawyer and then $5000 more after that and on and on until you're so deep in you don't dare to back out and lose what you've "invested" so far.

In Ukraine, it is well known that the government often rejects citizenship and permanent residency applications for men who marry Ukrainian women (and I'm talking legitimate marriages, not fake ones) just because the bureaucrat doesn't like the look of the man. That's why I would only go the temporary residency route, where the upfront investment is very small and Ukrainian bureaucrats are known to be much more tolerant about giving foreigners 1-3 year temporary residence versus permanent residence and/or citizenship.

Government can also retroactively reject citizenship if it decides the previous ruling party was corrupt in selling citizenship by investment. Or they can demand all citizens by investment have to pay another $100K because the citizenship was sold too cheaply the first time around and thus "cheated" the native born citizens. A populist stunt like that sounds very typical of Latin America, especially a place like Paraguay. Needless to say, if you buy real estate in Paraguay, you will eventually be robbed of your ownership by corrupt legal methods. Brazilians and other fellow Latin Americans who are used to corruption might be able to hire local muscle to fight back against such theft (by bombing the thieving lawyer's car, for example), but ordinary North Americans will be helpless.

There's an incredible number of borderline scam artists pushing the idea of multiple citizenships because they can earn such high fees from these citizenship programs, same as all these borderline scan artists pushing the idea of buying foreign real estate, which is another source of high fees, or scam artists encouraging marrying foreign women versus paying foreign women to be your girlfriend. Temporary rental is always lower risk and usually lower cost. Leave the permanent options for guys from China who actually need another citizenship to escape the totalitarian CCP regime. As an American, Canadian, Brit or other European, be content with your existing citizenship and then figure out how to get temporary residence, temporary work permit, temporary housing, temporary girlfriend.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

The European Hispanics seem better than the mestizo ones (the contravariant of countries which aren't part of the RPI (Argentina, Para-, Uruguay, and Chile). Less corruption, less colourism, less stubby-stout builds, more meat/amino acid diets.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 8:20 am
The European Hispanics seem better than the mestizo ones (the contravariant of countries which aren't part of the RPI (Argentina, Para-, Uruguay, and Chile). Less corruption, less colourism, less stubby-stout builds, more meat/amino acid diets.
There might be something to that, but Costa Rica, Chile and Paraguay are very mestizo also. Argentina is also mostly mestizo outside of Buenos Aires.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

May 5th, 2020, 1:11 pm
There might be something to that, but Costa Rica, Chile and Paraguay are very mestizo also. Argentina is also mostly mestizo outside of Buenos Aires.
Aja I see what you mean now. It's all about the culture more so than the people entirely.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

May 5th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Absolutely, and the people who most gringoes will be dealing will be mestizo - cops, waiters, shop assistants etc.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

You absolutely must be kidding. The 'European' (or who can pass as...) 'Hispanics' are more class conscious, are definitely more race and colour conscious but the facts are - wherever you go in Latin America - it is all more or less very similar. The upper-middle class/upper class 'white' latin is the biggest wanker you will ever meet 9 times out of ten.

An upper middle class Argentinian woman told me when she went to places like Mexico, Peru and Colombia, it only too much reminded her of home which brought her down to earth a bit - Argentina have a few more white people - big deal!
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Shemp wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 6:26 am
One thing you need to understand about these citizenship programs is that you are dealing with bureaucrats who have the right to interpret the law. So even if the law says you can get citizenship bu marriage or residency or investment, and you pay all the fees and fill out the application correctly and hire a local law firm, a bureaucrat can still reject the application just because he feels like it.

Consider how @Winston's application for a visa for Dianne was summarily rejected by the USA consulate after he paid $160 and despite the low risk she posed, at least according to how Winston told the story: viewtopic.php?style=21&p=326953#p326953. If the USA is this arbitrary over a mere tourist visa, just imagine how a place like Paraguay could reject citizenship applications. Or maybe they don't permanently reject but you have to pay another $5000 to the lawyer and then $5000 more after that and on and on until you're so deep in you don't dare to back out and lose what you've "invested" so far.

In Ukraine, it is well known that the government often rejects citizenship and permanent residency applications for men who marry Ukrainian women (and I'm talking legitimate marriages, not fake ones) just because the bureaucrat doesn't like the look of the man. That's why I would only go the temporary residency route, where the upfront investment is very small and Ukrainian bureaucrats are known to be much more tolerant about giving foreigners 1-3 year temporary residence versus permanent residence and/or citizenship.

Government can also retroactively reject citizenship if it decides the previous ruling party was corrupt in selling citizenship by investment. Or they can demand all citizens by investment have to pay another $100K because the citizenship was sold too cheaply the first time around and thus "cheated" the native born citizens. A populist stunt like that sounds very typical of Latin America, especially a place like Paraguay. Needless to say, if you buy real estate in Paraguay, you will eventually be robbed of your ownership by corrupt legal methods. Brazilians and other fellow Latin Americans who are used to corruption might be able to hire local muscle to fight back against such theft (by bombing the thieving lawyer's car, for example), but ordinary North Americans will be helpless.

There's an incredible number of borderline scam artists pushing the idea of multiple citizenships because they can earn such high fees from these citizenship programs, same as all these borderline scan artists pushing the idea of buying foreign real estate, which is another source of high fees, or scam artists encouraging marrying foreign women versus paying foreign women to be your girlfriend. Temporary rental is always lower risk and usually lower cost. Leave the permanent options for guys from China who actually need another citizenship to escape the totalitarian CCP regime. As an American, Canadian, Brit or other European, be content with your existing citizenship and then figure out how to get temporary residence, temporary work permit, temporary housing, temporary girlfriend.
They can take away any 'naturalised' citizenship, the British took it off the hook hand Al Qaeda guy - he had UK citizenship for years and they took it off him and deported him. You are stating absolute 'whataboutism' - the difference between most Latin American countries citizenship is that it is geared towards immigration from Europe and other parts of the Americas - Ukraine isn't - they might get some lunatic taking over and then they start taking it off people but that probably won't happen - it might happen with Donald Trump if he gets another term. :roll:
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

yick wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 7:40 pm
Shemp wrote:

You are stating absolute 'whataboutism...'
Yick, that guy is a senile ignoramus who often loves to be the buzzkill when guys have great ideas to put into action. I'm not sure what that's about, but it tends to show me he just hates seeing guys doing things that he is either too lazy or too old to do himself. I placed him on ignore a while back and I only wish I had done it sooner.

You and I both know that Latin countries are not like Ukraine and on the oft chance some bureaucrat did try to arbitrarily deny a visa to someone qualified by local law, that is what you pay the attorney to prevent and/or resolve. A simple phone call to a Deputy Minister or an MP smooths the way or, in the worst case scenario, a small bribe breaks that impasse. Problem solved!

But his trying to take the wind out of people's expat plans is just pathetic. I wish he would just stick to his rental wife (a street prostitute in Ukraine) and just leave the big boy matters to those of us who have more world traveling experience than he.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

May 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm
yick wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 7:40 pm
Shemp wrote:

You are stating absolute 'whataboutism...'
Yick, that guy is a senile ignoramus who often loves to be the buzzkill when guys have great ideas to put into action. I'm not sure what that's about, but it tends to show me he just hates seeing guys doing things that he is either too lazy or too old to do himself. I placed him on ignore a while back and I only wish I had done it sooner.

You and I both know that Latin countries are not like Ukraine and on the oft chance some bureaucrat did try to arbitrarily deny a visa to someone qualified by local law, that is what you pay the attorney to prevent and/or resolve. A simple phone call to a Deputy Minister or an MP smooths the way or, in the worst case scenario, a small bribe breaks that impasse. Problem solved!

But his trying to take the wind out of people's expat plans is just pathetic. I wish he would just stick to his rental wife (a street prostitute in Ukraine) and just leave the big boy matters to those of us who have more world traveling experience than he.
Exactly, it has never happened in history - an overall stripping of citizenship - in any Latin American country, I thought it was a bit strange why he is pissing on a bonfire and why compare ex-Soviet satellite state and their citizenship requirements to anywhere in Latin America - very strange...
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Yick, that guy is a senile ignoramus who often loves to be the buzzkill when guys have great ideas to put into action.
I ripped you a new asshole long ago when you gave misleading info about residency in Ukraine. It's true I'm no expert on Paraguay, but given how you f***ed up so badly with Ukraine, about which I do know quite a bit, I wouldn't trust your ideas here either.

If someone wants to truly emigrate to Latin America, to the point of being willing to give up USA citizenship if forced in the future to choose (because dual citizenship non longer permitted), then probably no risk of having citizenship by residency revoked. But these scammy multiple citizenship by investment schemes are another story.

(And yes, @yick, Latin America has a long history of populism targeting foreigners. Taking away sole citizenship from a full-time resident, indeed that's unlikely. But taking away dual citizenship from a foreigner who hardly spends time on the country, another story. And don't tell me that would make no economic sense, since Latin America needs foreign investment. Economically stupid is never an obstacle to populists. See Venezuela and Argentina currently, and just about every LA country at some point in the last 70 years.)

You mentioned Paraguay passport giving access to Russia. It's easy to get into Russia as an American, though getting the 3 year muti-entry visa does require some minor expense and delay up front. If Russia ever imposes a block on American citizens, dual citizenship with Paraguay will not help, since Russia will ask about dual citizenship, since such a situation would presumably be tantamount to a new cold war. God help you if you lie in such a situation. So what's the point of that Paraguay citizenship, versus just getting a Russian visa as an American? As usual, your thinking is half-baked.
I wish he would just stick to his rental wife (a street prostitute in Ukraine) and just leave the big boy matters to those of us who have more world traveling experience than he.
Sad that you have to misrepresent facts about me to distract from getting your ass whupped in a debate. I suggest you keep me on ignore, so your don't have to be humiliated by seeing me pick apart your often poorly thought out ideas. My girlfriend is not a street prostitute, but given that you boast that you pay American sugar babies $100/month. I hate to think what those skanks look like.

I've traveling most of the year for almost 20 years, so hardly lack of travel experience. Like all the smart long term travelers, I've come to realize that tourists usually get treated much better than citizens: no taxes, almost no dealings with bureaucracy, can leave anytime I want if the situation gets bad (unless I get arrested, but then I avoid trouble). You have to be a pretty special type of moron to want citizenship in Paraguay, with all the expense and hassles that entails, when you can just fly in for 90 days as a tourist without any long term commitments, unless you actually want to live most of the year in Paraguay.

Sure I could trade my USA citizenship for one with less tax burden, but then USA taxes are not that bad, including for the wealthy (15% on qualified dividends and long term gains, nothing on Roth IRA income, etc). Maybe you don't know that because you aren't wealthy yourself. I do notice you give lots of misleading advice about money, same as you give misleading advice about Ukraine visas and sugar babies in the USA. I'm been traveling for 20 years myself precisely because I early retired 20 years ago when I became wealthy running my own business. Since then, I've lived off my investments. You've only been retired a few years and your income is mostly a government pension, your reward for sucking up for 30 years, if I'm not mistaken.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Oh look! I see ridiculously old man @Shemp finally chimed in again. I won't even bother to click the "unignore" link because I am sure he is just playing his miserable killjoy role, YET AGAIN. :lol:

Makes me wonder if he has decided to keep his distance from his seasonal wife ( a dirty street prostitute) in Ukraine. I can't imagine he would actually permit her to live with him during this pandemic. A crusty old crank like him would be very vulnerable to catch any number of things from a streetwalker. But then again, he likely does not care at this point since there is so little tread left on his tires. :lol:

Somebody wish him luck for me because cranks his age mucking around with older, dirty street prostitutes at home are playing Russian Roulette.

By the way, sudden irritability is a telltale sign of dementia for old creakers of Shemp's age. I should feel for the old geezer actually. But then again, NAH! 8)
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

May 6th, 2020, 12:36 am
By the way, sudden irritability is a telltale sign of dementia for old creakers of Shemp's age. I should feel for the old geezer actually. But then again, NAH! 8)
CE is approximately the same age as me (I'm 59, he's in his mid 50's), so absurd for him to call me an old geezer. Does anyone here notice more irritability in my posts than those of CE? Unlike CE, I keep myself naturally lean and muscular and don't need to pump myself full of hormones like him. Maybe he's once again pumped himself with excess hormones ("roid rage") and that's why he is reacting so strongly to my post.

As for killjoy, I'm sorry if my cold logic deprived CE of the "joyful" dream of spending time, money and effort to get a miserable Paraguay passport instead of simply using his American passport to get tourist visas to visit Paraguay, Argentina, Russia, etc. Probably best CE keeps me on ignore, so he won't have to see me destroy his other illusions and/or delusions of grandeur.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Oh I see he responded again. More killjoy, elderly butthurt I presume :lol: Someone please wish him good health in Ukraine during this pandemic. He's going to need it!