Poll: Majority of Americans Are Racist

Discuss news and current events around the world.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Poll: Majority of Americans Are Racist

Post by zboy1 »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... lacks.html
In the four years since the United States elected the country’s first black president, a majority of Americans express outright prejudice toward blacks. Perhaps even more surprising though is that the numbers have slightly increased since 2008. A full 51 percent of Americans explicitly express anti-black prejudice, up from 48 percent in 2008, according to the Associated Press. When an implicit racial attitudes test is used the number increases to 56 percent, compared to 49 percent four years ago. The AP surveys, which were carried out by university researchers, ultimately found that President Obama could lose a net 2 percentage points of the popular vote due to anti-black attitudes.

Republicans are far more likely than Democrats to express outright racial prejudice, 79 percent to 32 percent. But the implicit test found that the two are far closer in attitudes, with 55 percent of Democrats and 64 percent of Republicans having anti-black feelings. Experts aren't really surprised by the findings. "As much as we'd hope the impact of race would decline over time ... it appears the impact of anti-black sentiment on voting is about the same as it was four years ago," said a Stanford University professor who helped develop the survey.

American racism 'on the rise'

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCKrC_0J ... ture=g-u-u[/youtube]

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Nothing new- 51 % is actually pretty good for a country like the US and white people in it. That means that a hundred million whites are not prejudiced. How about measuring other races' racial prejudice?- again conspiciously missing. As usual.
It will take a century or more maybe even a couple of centuries for Americans to become one people and mingle.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

ladislav wrote:Nothing new- 51 % is actually pretty good for a country like the US and white people in it. That means that a hundred million whites are not prejudiced. How about measuring other races' racial prejudice?- again conspiciously missing. As usual.
It will take a century or more maybe even a couple of centuries for Americans to become one people and mingle.
I don't think this study was focusing just on 'White people.' Americans come in all shapes and sizes. There's a fairly large percentage of minority races like Jews, Asians, and Hispanics that don't like Black people. In the video, the guy also talked about the rise in prejudice towards Hispanic people in the same study. My point is the U.S. is still a toxic place in terms of race relations and goes against the myth that the U.S. is a multicultural paradise that it likes to portray to the rest of the world. At least other xenophobic and racist countries in the world don't tout their superiority because of their so called 'diversity' and shove multiculturalism to the rest of the world like the hypocritical United States.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

zboy1 wrote:
ladislav wrote:Nothing new- 51 % is actually pretty good for a country like the US and white people in it. That means that a hundred million whites are not prejudiced. How about measuring other races' racial prejudice?- again conspiciously missing. As usual.
I don't think this study was focusing just on 'White people.' Americans come in all shapes and sizes. There's a fairly large percentage of minority races like Jews, Asians, and Hispanics that don't like Black people. In the video, the guy also talked about the rise in prejudice towards Hispanic people in the same study. My point is the U.S. is still a toxic place in terms of race relations and goes against the myth that the U.S. is a multicultural paradise that it likes to portray to the rest of the world. At least other xenophobic and racist countries in the world don't tout their superiority because of their so called 'diversity' and shove multiculturalism to the rest of the world like the hypocritical United States.
In recent years, I have begun to question America's duplicity about race relations. After living abroad as a black man, I have found the US to be the most race-baggage place I have visited. At the same time, America tries to put forth the image that it is harmonious and diverse.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:After living abroad as a black man, I have found the US to be the most race-baggage place I have visited. At the same time, America tries to put forth the image that it is harmonious and diverse.
OK, so Whites in Europe or Latin America are in your experience less distrusting of Blacks. OK, I believe you.

What about Blacks abroad? My experience - very limited - is that Blacks in some countries are less hostile to Whites than Blacks here. Less anger, even if they are poorer and less upwardly mobile. I.e., my theory is that race relations - both directions - here in the U.S. are particularly poisoned, and that folks overseas are of course racist and tribalist, out for themselves, but somewhat less doctrinaire, less about the "story", good or bad.

What is your experience?

PS FYI, the only Black-majority place I've been is Bermuda, but I'm very curious about Belize. That's why I'm asking.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Surely living in America without being racist against black people would be like standing around with your hair on fire claiming you can't smell smoke.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

My only reply is so what? If someone wants to be a racist let them.

I don't care if someone hates me for my race.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

More likely never. Can you name a single society on the planet where the people are one people and mingle? I can't. Even in Latin America there is a strong racial divide between the different races, it's just not as overt as in the United States, but it's still there. Here in Mexico for example you rarely ever will see an indigenous person on TV unless it's to make fun of how badly they speak Spanish or how ugly they are. While the United States goes out of its way to include every race in everything, in Mexico TV is about 90% white despite the country being only 15% white.

Racism is a fact of life and always will be and the sooner we stop trying to outright ELIMINATE it but rather simply REDUCE it, the happier we will be.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Take a look at how deeply ingrained societal racism is in Latin America, even with many Mexican children. The children are asked which dolls are better-looking, and they say that the whiter ones are. However, I believe these may have been cherry-picked, as I'm sure not all Mexican children would do so.

Many Latin Americans aren't afraid to explicitly state their racial prejudices. In the U.S., middle-class Americans often go way out of their way to avoid race-related issues, but the U.S. is much more racially segregated than Latin America. The U.S. separates people according to strictly defined categories (same with Malaysia and many other former British colonies), whereas Latin American societies are based on fluid pyramid hierarchies with general characteristics that aren't strictly defined.

One way to respond to mild racism on the street is to respond in clever ways that make everyone laugh.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Yes, I wonder how many blacks in america hate white people? Probably just as many as whites who hate blacks in the US. Why doesn't zboy1 ever come up with some videos on the racism that blacks have towards whites?

Apparently he thinks only whites can be racists. Zboy1 did you know that if a black person hates white people it is ALSO called racism?
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

jamesbond wrote:
Yes, I wonder how many blacks in america hate white people? Probably just as many as whites who hate blacks in the US. Why doesn't zboy1 ever come up with some videos on the racism that blacks have towards whites?

Apparently he thinks only whites can be racists. Zboy1 did you know that if a black person hates white people it is ALSO called racism?
Why am I being attacked for giving links to a news story? And btw, I've shown videos and news-links of racial incidents towards White's by minorities many times in the past. Just do a search for yourself and see....
Anti-American
Freshman Poster

Post by Anti-American »

zboy1 wrote:
jamesbond wrote:

Why am I being attacked for giving links to a news story? And btw, I've shown videos and news-links of racial incidents towards White's by minorities many times in the past. Just do a search for yourself and see....
What are some keywords to search with?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Many Latin Americans aren't afraid to explicitly state their racial prejudices. In the U.S., middle-class Americans often go way out of their way to avoid race-related issues, but the U.S. is much more racially segregated than Latin America. The U.S. separates people according to strictly defined categories (same with Malaysia and many other former British colonies), whereas Latin American societies are based on fluid pyramid hierarchies with general characteristics that aren't strictly defined.
Latin America- unhidden weaker prejudice
Anglo America- hidden stronger prejudice

The US ( and Anglo world)- We don't care how high you get as long as you don't get too close. So you have all these multicultural professionals and politicians and a melting pot ( sort of) at work, in college- in anything official. But when it comes to social mingling, here you have walls and unspoken barriers that are very powerful. Total apartheid. Somewhat overcomeable with a lot of money if you spend a huge chunk of your life studying to be a doctor, a lawyer,etc.

Latin America and the Arab world ( and maybe E. Europe) We don't care how close you get as long as you don't get too high. Socially people mingle freely, make friends, laugh and live more or less together. Professionally there is a problem- undesirables are kept down- the darker, the harder to get into the gov't, as a head of big corporations, etc. Also overcomeable with a lot of money but the trick is how can you make money?

The Old World- Indigenous population discriminates against immigrants and their descendants and they are never considered part of the main stream even if lip service is done to the effect. Born there or not. Look at Turks, Arabs, Jews in Europe, Koreans in Japan, Chinese in Korea, etc.

The New World- immigrants and their descendants discriminate against the indigenous population ( the nerve!) ( and newly arrived immigrants) so, a Carlos Slim, a Lebanese can rise in business or a Vincente Fox ( a descendant of an Irish immigrant) can become president of Mexico. But Indians are kept down and treated like it is not even their country. Nasty shyt.

I remember talking to one Southerner and he told me that he did not want to mingle with blacks because : it was another culture. Now, in the US blacks have been turned into a virtual nationality with its culture and an ethnicity. In Latin America, it is just a color, and you are the same Honduran, Panamanian as anyone else. People will not say that you belong to a "different culture" . Same in Egypt. But they will discriminate against a darker person the same way they would discriminate against a shorter person.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Anti-American wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
jamesbond wrote:

What are some keywords to search with?

--Is America coming apart--Pat Buchanan
viewtopic.php?p=16857&highlight=#16857

--Blacks vs Latinos
viewtopic.php?p=55985&highlight=#55985

--Riots in the U.K.
viewtopic.php?t=10997&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

--Suicide of a superpower (Pat Buchanan)
viewtopic.php?p=55981&highlight=#55981

-- 13 American Gangs Keeping The FBI Up at Night-Third World US
viewtopic.php?p=92652&highlight=#92652

--Black Racism on the rise?
viewtopic.php?p=72366&highlight=#72366

--Web video shows brutal assault on homeless man (Black violence)
viewtopic.php?p=58164&highlight=#58164

--Louis Farrakhan speaks at UC Berkeley
viewtopic.php?p=70917&highlight=#70917

--Asian guys middle eastern girls--racism?
viewtopic.php?p=70997&highlight=#70997

--Marion Barry: "They (Asians) ought to go!"
viewtopic.php?p=73349&highlight=#73349

-- Thomas Sowell predicts race riot if Obama loses
viewtopic.php?p=100713&highlight=#100713

--Ain't diversity grand?
viewtopic.php?p=70427&highlight=#70427

--Feminism--a form of Jewish control!
viewtopic.php?p=81401&highlight=#81401

--Opinion on race preferences
viewtopic.php?p=43196&highlight=#43196

--USA/Mexico Border Fence
viewtopic.php?p=53775&highlight=#53775

--Anti-Multiculturalism
viewtopic.php?p=52657&highlight=#52657

--F@#$ Mexicans
viewtopic.php?p=49833&highlight=#49833

--Muhammad Ali's view on race mixing, diversity, integration.
viewtopic.php?p=47440&highlight=#47440

--Question about Puerto Ricans
viewtopic.php?p=53429&highlight=#53429

--Israeli Gov't Says Not to Marry American Jews
viewtopic.php?p=59874&highlight=#59874

-- How Jews destroy nations - Zionism
viewtopic.php?p=96979&highlight=#96979

--proud to be (insert race or nationality here)
viewtopic.php?p=54577&highlight=#54577

-- Is diversity a strength or a hinderance?
viewtopic.php?p=64220&highlight=#64220

--A few thoughts about America's unusual immigrant quotas
viewtopic.php?p=56747&highlight=#56747

--I can't stand philly hood rat niggerish acting girls
viewtopic.php?p=53872&highlight=#53872

-- Stacey Dash gets backlash for being a Black Romney supporter
viewtopic.php?p=100213&highlight=#100213
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

zboy1 wrote:
jamesbond wrote:

You're not being attacked; you're being criticized. It wasn't like the criticism was trying to paint you into this caricature of a bigot. You have thicker skin than that, friend. And I mean friend in a very genuine way; you're one of my many of favorite posters here.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!