Why get married?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
mguy
Junior Poster

Why get married?

Post by mguy »

The older I get, the less marriage becomes an appealing factor for me.

Why would anyone want to get married?

I imagine marriage as this one way ticket to suburbia or mediocrity. I'd rather have gfs than a wife. Why are guys looking to get married? Is it something that is thrown at them? I don't wanna get married nor do I want a family of my own.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

insanity
Freshman Poster

Post by insanity »

Because somebody wants to have a family of his own and thinks marriage is the best way to make it last?

You dont want a family, so you dont want to get married. But that´s not the norm...
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 23rd, 2020, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

Because it's the "right thing to do". It's for the companionship, security, family, continuing your blood line, doing what looks right in the eyes of society, not having to go out and hunt anymore, etc. At least that's how I always saw it growing up and what I wanted it for, though now in my old(er) age, I find myself still single with limited dating experience and thinking that I should just give up on that dying dream already. I think if you're going to get married, find and marry your spouse while you're still young, like during your college education or very shortly thereafter.
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

Monogamous Marriage is simply a creation of Western Civilization.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

fightforlove wrote:I think if you're going to get married, find and marry your spouse while you're still young, like during your college education or very shortly thereafter.
A rule of thumb is that in America, if you didn't meet your future spouse by the age of 24, then it's pretty much curtain call because the skanks from ages 29 to 35, are damaged goods who're only in the game to skin a beta male provider.

Even my lesbian friend has admitted the above, concerning her former AW GFs.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

I got married because ..:

I'm in love & want to spend the rest of my life with him
I want to see what my kids would look like & would like a good father for them to grow with
I took the chance with him because if I live to grow old, it would be great to have him with me when I'm grey
At this moment in time I know I'll be forever happy ...

It's all a big risk really, you have to make the right choices but nothing is cast in stone.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: Why get married?

Post by Teal Lantern »

mguy wrote:The older I get, the less marriage becomes an appealing factor for me.
This is why society used to marry men off early, before he could figure out what a $#!& deal he was getting.

mguy wrote: Why would anyone want to get married?

I imagine marriage as this one way ticket to suburbia or mediocrity. I'd rather have gfs than a wife. Why are guys looking to get married? Is it something that is thrown at them? I don't wanna get married nor do I want a family of my own.
for women:
Ca$h & prizes?
Maximum reward for minimal responsibility?
His money for bills, her money for fun? Whether she keeps him or not.
What works was her idea, what doesn't was his fault.

for men:
To buy a house for a woman he will learn to hate?
So society can pet his head and tell him what a "real man" he is?
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

To find out how much b.s. he can take, and learn how one-sided the laws are?
Because he no longer wants to control his own money, freedom, hobbies, ... life?
A quiet, clean house is just no fun?
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

The only reason to get married is if you plan on having children and want to provide the child(ren) with a traditional nuclear family. Single parent households usually produce kids that are train wrecks. The problem is finding a suitable spouse which is a very difficult and risky proposition in a country like the U.S. It seems like everything about U.S. society is out to sabotage that sort of family unit.

If you don't plan on having children then there's no reason to ever marry.
marklambo
Junior Poster

Post by marklambo »

Many men in the US actually become pressured or tricked into marriage by their so called loving wife. Marriage in the US is basically a financial suicide mission and usually opens the road to depression. The US culture is so f***ed up that it's sometimes better that you don't have kids and don't get married here because you take a risk of having your children being exposed to all the disgust that's out there.

If a man wanted to get married and have children, he's better off going to another country to do it. There's not much benefit for a man to get married here in the US anyway.

Private Investment Club
3%-5% a month average returns. No trading involved, all collateral based with low risk. PM for details.

Private Jet Flights
PM for details.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

marklambo wrote:If a man wanted to get married and have children, he's better off going to another country to do it. There's not much benefit for a man to get married here in the US anyway.
Now that's some great advice.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Probably the best thing to do if you get married abroad is to bounce her to a third country where you both aren't citizens but can live there comfortably. That way if things fall apart you're probably not financially or legally liable in any way.

That's an ultra paranoid route to take though but let's say you marry a FSU lady or something it makes perfect sense to have that extra layer of security. :lol:
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Marriage alternative : A relationship agreement, It doesn't have to be legal, just clear on whatever issues you want to clarify.

Alternative to cohabitation : She moves close enough to you to be within walking distance, but not so close that you'll keep bumping into each other, and her nearest town centre is not your town centre. You spend 1 week at yours, 1 week separate, 1 week at hers, 1 week separate, and so on. Even if you have kids, you carry on like that indefinitely, or until you're much older and then maybe you move in together, but you rent.
marklambo
Junior Poster

Post by marklambo »

S_Parc wrote:
fightforlove wrote:I think if you're going to get married, find and marry your spouse while you're still young, like during your college education or very shortly thereafter.
A rule of thumb is that in America, if you didn't meet your future spouse by the age of 24, then it's pretty much curtain call because the skanks from ages 29 to 35, are damaged goods who're only in the game to skin a beta male provider.

Even my lesbian friend has admitted the above, concerning her former AW GFs.
It's like being a homeless person that digs through the trash for scraps of left over food. Messing around with women in the late 20s to early 30s and beyond is like dealing with left over trash that's been used and abused. It almost becomes like an item that is going through recycling. Damaged goods indeed....especially the single moms...
Private Investment Club
3%-5% a month average returns. No trading involved, all collateral based with low risk. PM for details.

Private Jet Flights
PM for details.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

In America, men are 10x more likely than women to commit suicide following a divorce.

You might want to remember that............
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer