Everdred's "10 Days in Taipei" Trip Report

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Everdred's "10 Days in Taipei" Trip Report

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: Your trip report sounds like a tourist brochure for Taiwan. lol
Because he is a tourist in Taipei.

If he lived in Yilan for the summer and hang out with beach bums like these, he'd be writing something different:

...and if he lived in Tainan for 6 months, he'd writing something very different again.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

zboy1 wrote:Rock is correct when he mentioned personal observations change from person to person. That's just the way life is, I guess...No two people will have exactly the same experiences, so that's why I like when people post trip-reports--because it's such a fascinating thing to read people's accounts of places that I've been to, and can relate to (or not). So, HAer's please post more trip reports as often as possible!

Anyway, the bottom line is that Taiwanese women like foreign men and disparage Taiwanese/Chinese/Asian men. I definitely noticed the euro-centric, self-hating Asian female vibe that I normally get from Asian American women, from women in Taiwan. So, I can see why Rock and Everdred like Taiwan. (More power to them.)

I noticed that many Taiwanese women, moreso than Mainlander's, date White males, so I can see why they would enjoy Taiwan over China. I've even heard several Taiwanese girls dissing Taiwanese/Asian men in front of their White boyfriends--in English! Wow! I never experienced that kind of racism in China. For me, personally, Taiwanese women have the air of Asian American girls that I absolutely, detest.

Now, if it weren't for Taiwanese women, I would definitely live in Taiwan. Taiwan beats China in many ways, except the women, and the friendliness of Chinese people over Taiwanese people. Other than that, I would choose Taiwan. But since the country is not friendly towards Asian men, I prefer China over Taiwan.
I noticed all this too. Taiwanese women are a lot like Asian American women now. So I don't see what Everdred's smoking. His trip report sounds like a travel brochure for Taiwan, paid for by vested interests, like a Janiet Hsieh show. It's not balanced nor does it list any of the many negatives of Taiwan.

Still, the fact is that most women and girls in Taiwan are with Taiwanese guys, not white guys. And many of the Taiwanese guys they are with are ugly and nerdy, though they are thin. So we gotta ask ourselves why they aren't open or engaging toward us? Maybe it's because they are super picky and we aren't in their social clique. Or because they are too snobby and only like guys who are conformist and materialistic and not down to earth. Like attracts like. If they are stuck up and snobby, and you are not, then you are not on their wavelength. Also, if you don't fit into Taiwanese culture, you will be seen as less attractive by the women there, since women represent their culture and your power and energy will be seen as weaker.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw Everdred,
I agree with you that Taiwanese people and culture are like a hybrid of Chinese and Japanese culture. Very true. That is very obvious. However, since we all know that Japanese women are among the most CLOSED in the world and hardest to chat up, this means that Taiwanese women are too. So in a sense, you are agreeing with me, albeit indirectly. haha. Gotcha!
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Winston, I think Everdred's opinion are valid and correct---as a White male. I noticed White men seemed a lot happier in Taiwan than in China, where overseas Chinese Americans, Koreans, and other Asians seem to do really well in China, in comparison to places like Taiwan, where the women are very Westernized.

Everdred is correct also, when he says that Taiwan is a mixture of China and Japan. I said that to my White friend living in Taiwan, and he agreed with my sentiment.

Again, Winston, Everdred's opinions are valid, just not for us Asian men, though.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

zboy1 wrote:Winston, I think Everdred's opinion are valid and correct---as a White male. I noticed White men seemed a lot happier in Taiwan than in China, where overseas Chinese Americans, Koreans, and other Asians seem to do really well in China, in comparison to places like Taiwan, where the women are very Westernized.

Everdred is correct also, when he says that Taiwan is a mixture of China and Japan. I said that to my White friend living in Taiwan, and he agreed with my sentiment.

Again, Winston, Everdred's opinions are valid, just not for us Asian men, though.
Yeah but there are some white males that agree with me that Taiwan is too repressed and lifeless too. Everdred didn't say anything that showed me to be wrong though.

My social and dating life in China definitely flows more smoothly and naturally than in Taiwan. In Taiwan I feel rejected at every corner, like I'm not wanted and not needed.

My parents love Taiwan so much that they are biased too, like Rock. They will never blame Taiwan for my unhappiness. Instead they will always say that I'm not trying hard enough to get dates in Taiwan, kind of like how Americans say you aren't confident enough if you can't get AW. lol

People can be so illogical. I can't believe it.

What I hate is when white visitors to Taiwan rave about how "wonderful Taiwan is and how friendly it's people are" and I feel pressured to agree even though I don't. It's stupid.

Well Japan is a very closed and narrow culture. So the fact that Taiwan is like half Japanese culture speaks volumes attesting to my claims.

I was treated very well in Taiwan back in the 1980's. But the attitude and vibe there isn't the same anymore.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Folks, if Taiwan was an "easy" place to date, Taiwanese men would not have imported over 441,600 foreign brides (2013-2014 estimate).. There are estimated 480,000 foreign spouses in TW, 92% are women. Back in 2002, 1/4 of new marriges in TW was with a foreign spouse, and 1/8 new borns were with foreign spouse.

These figures don't even include all the bigmy mainland spouse (second wives) and concubines that Taiwanese businessmen keep in China.
Last edited by momopi on April 1st, 2015, 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Awesome Everdred, thanks so much for the trip report!

Never mind the comments focusing only on the women, since I know we're in for the cultural experience too. :D
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Taiwan is like a religious cult. Once someone joins it and falls in love with Taiwan, they always defend Taiwan and Taiwan can do no wrong in their eyes. It's very weird, like zombie brainwashing. I've explained to my parents millions of times why I don't fit into Taiwan, yet they never blame Taiwan, instead they always say "You aren't trying hard enough to fit into Taiwan". That's definitely reflective of a big bias, not of any neutrality or objectivity at all. It's irrational and causes cognitive dissonance.

This irrational love of Taiwan reminds me of the classic Star Trek episode "This Side of Paradise" where the Enterprise crew visit this planet with plants that spray spores onto the crew members. Anyone who gets sprayed by the spores immediately falls in love with the planet and wants to live there forever. The spores possess them and make them want to spend their lives there and subdues any clear thinking. Even Spock was convinced to stay there, and began falling in love with a woman, rather than being his logical self. It's the only episode where you get to see Spock express his human emotions. Only Kirk was able to resist the spores in the end.

This "cult of Taiwan" reminds me of that Star Trek episode. It's downright weird and scary how zombified and brainwashed people get about Taiwan, as if they're all worked up over nothing. Even our intelligent down-to-earth advisor here, Rock, seems to be under the influence of the "Taiwan spores". lol

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Seriously, Everdred wrote such a good guide about Taiwan. Let's thank him for this.

I've just transited through Tokyo and noticed that Japan is so much like Taiwan. The infrastructure, store layouts, the way the people act, talk, walk, carry themselves, and so on. The hairstyles, clothing, the way all those young people socialize with each other. I was surprised.
Japan is Taiwan on steroids.

I understand that some of us may have grudges against Taiwan, but seriously, that's not what Everdred's trip report is about.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Falcon wrote:Seriously, Everdred wrote such a good guide about Taiwan. Let's thank him for this.

I've just transited through Tokyo and noticed that Japan is so much like Taiwan. The infrastructure, store layouts, the way the people act, talk, walk, carry themselves, and so on. The hairstyles, clothing, the way all those young people socialize with each other. I was surprised.
Japan is Taiwan on steroids.

I understand that some of us may have grudges against Taiwan, but seriously, that's not what Everdred's trip report is about.
Yes, the Japanese influence in Taiwan is stark and definitely noticeable; for example, you will see many Japanese brands and stores in Taiwan, as well as popular Japanese fast-food chains such as MOS Burger (YUM!). And, Taiwanese definitely act as stoic and rigid as Japanese.

As someone who hasn't visited Japan yet, it was kind of overwhelming and interesting at the same time! Everdred was spot on when he described Taiwan as a mixture of Japan and China.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Winston wrote:Rock, seems to be under the influence of the "Taiwan spores"
Lol!
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Travelin Man
Freshman Poster

Post by Travelin Man »

Everdred wrote:Thanks Rock and any others who gave praise. It definitely encourages me to keep writing these trip reports, even when sometimes I really don't want to be bothered with 'em. It usually takes several hours to get the report written, proofread at least three times, the photos uploaded, and to adjust the format just right. We all need a little encouragement and positive reinforcement sometimes, haha.

Rock, the reason I'm moving to South Korea is mostly for two reasons - I'm actually interested in the country (and Northeast Asia in general), and the second reason is that I want to get some money saved. Taiwan does sound quite enticing, but I prefer to live in a non-Sinosphere country that doesn't speak Mandarin. Sure, Taiwan and mainland China are not the same, but they're still Chinese at their core. And I like to put myself in 100% new environments every few years or so. I'm totally aware of the pitfalls of living in South Korea as a Caucasian male, but they don't scare me away. And I really do need to get some savings in the bank to prepare more for the future, as I spent the last few years paying off my student loans. In the next decade (the 2020s), around the same time I hit my ten years in Asia mark, I'm hoping to live somewhere in Latin America - very possibly Mexico. I don't see myself living in South Korea any longer than two years, and after that I've got my cross-hairs locked on Japan.

As for my Chinese girlfriend's opinion on Taiwan - she was pretty much singing nothing but praise for the country the entire time we were there. She totally agreed that Taiwan is Chinese at it's core, but on the surface Taiwan is quite different from mainland China. One thing she kept going on and on about was how "cute" the way females speak Mandarin in Taiwan. She must have repeated this at least 100 times, haha. I noticed this as well, but I guess it's even more obvious to her as a native Mandarin speaker. She also kept talking about how pretty and fashionable Taiwanese girls are. She also strongly agreed with me that Taiwanese ladies tend to have a more humble expression on their faces than their Thai counterparts. And she also agreed that Taiwanese girls wear way less make-up than Thai girls. And finally, we both thought that the cost of living (Airbnb apartments, transportation, food, etc.) was superb considering how good quality the day-to-day environment of Taipei generally is. In Singapore one also gets a great day-to-day environment, but it comes with a pretty high price tag.

I want to remind everybody that I'm not pretending to be an expert on Taiwan or Taipei. I simply went there as a tourist for ten days, and everything written here is just my first impression. Living there could certainly morph said impression. However, I do like to think that I'm a highly observational person, and I have been around quite a bit of the Asia block, so hopefully my opinions and impressions are at least worth something. I encourage everyone out there reading this to travel, have their own experiences, and form their own impressions. Don't just come to conclusions through second-hand information. A week of traveling somewhere on your own two feet is worth way more than reading 100 books about a place. That kinda sounds like a Chinese proverb, haha. Anyways, I'm writing this from Changsha, which means in a week or so I'll update my China trip report. Thanks for reading, everyone.
Is it easy to get around if you only speak English? What percentage of the population can understand and speak English? What is the job market like for an American citizen?
Begin with the end in mind
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

I enjoyed this report and agree with a lot of what everdred has to say. I first came to Taipei for a 3 day trip in 2013 and loved it. It's everything you want mainland China to be! Clean, polite, healthy food etc etc. The women dress a lot better, people speak much clearer Mandarin etc etc. I think this is a comfortable place to live, although not an easy place to socialize a lot, because people are busy like in the USA etc with work, yoga, music practice etc etc. Taipei is Chiang Kai-Shek's vision of a modern Confucian China and you will miss the madness of the post-communist mainland after a while. In October I'll be heading down the east coast and will hopefully see a different side to Taiwan.
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!