No longer an "Angry Asian man"

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

No longer an "Angry Asian man"

Post by zboy1 »

I think coming to Asia, and having the opportunity to travel to different countries here, as well as working in China, has really been 'eye-opening,' if you will.

I no longer have anger issues or resentment issues living in this part of the world, and I also rarely care about being an "Asian American," because it's of no concern to me anymore. Why would I care about things happening in the U.S.A, when all I see on the news about America is school shootings, feminist nutcases spouting hateful nonsense, idiot politicians ruining the country, race riots and the general implosion of American society happening before my eyes?

The women have been great in China, and reconnecting with my Asian culture, Korean relatives and traveling, have made me more mature and positive about my life than before. I still don't understand why so many Asians would want to suffer in the hellhole that is the 'Anglo world'? My advice to other Asian Americans and other overseas Asians, move to Asia!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: No longer an "Angry Asian man"

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

zboy1 wrote:I think coming to Asia, and having the opportunity to travel to different countries here, as well as working in China, has really been 'eye-opening,' if you will.

I no longer have anger issues or resentment issues living in this part of the world, and I also rarely care about being an "Asian American," because it's of no concern to me anymore. Why would I care about things happening in the U.S.A, when all I see on the news about America is school shootings, feminist nutcases spouting hateful nonsense, idiot politicians ruining the country, race riots and the general implosion of American society happening before my eyes?

The women have been great in China, and reconnecting with my Asian culture, Korean relatives and traveling, have made me more mature and positive about my life than before. I still don't understand why so many Asians would want to suffer in the hellhole that is the 'Anglo world'? My advice to other Asian Americans and other overseas Asians, move to Asia!
Not everyone can be saved, companyero. Most Asian-Americans unfetteredly have that Stockholm Syndrome. You don't want them to corrupt great segments of China with that unyielding nonsense, right?
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

From what I've observed, Asian Americans often have mixed feelings about their experiences in Asia. One Korean American explains why he moved back to America:

"I came to Seoul 10 months ago... got a job at private hagwon... big and established... got paid about $4500 a month... and hated it...

There's so many reasons why I like Korea, but reasons why I don't like it are more pronounced, and it was enough for me to quit my job and come back to America.

Several reasons why I left and probably never coming back... please don't judge, just my experience....

1. Judgmental/Shallowness

I'm a gyopo, so I kind of got lucky to get a sneak into Korean culture by hanging out with various Korean people and listen to conversations, etc....

And I realize that Korean people in general have materialism and shallowness as their base outlook on life. Yes, I know there aren't people like that but in general, in Seoul, shit is all about how you look, how much money you make, how superior you are (in career, friendship) etc... not to say it isn't in LA or NY, but here in Seoul it takes a more crass and unsophisticated approach to it all... hence why I realize to Koreans commercials featuring celebrity is a big deal...

2. Rudeness/Arrogant

This saddens me. Koreans are rude/arrogant. You can argue with me otherwise but I truly believe the stress of people living in Seoul makes them hollow and isolated... and rude and mean. When people are like this collectively, it stresses you out.

3. People Aren't Happy.

Just ride the subway. I've ridden subways in NY, Spain, Paris, LA, Sacramento... and no where are people more sullen and lifeless than in Seoul. Wifi and cleanliness don't matter when the people, the culture you're within isn't feeling the good feels... Yea, as a tourist, it may be so wonderful and amazing, new experiences,, but as a lifer, grinding and living, you start to see that people are generally... not happy Sad

4. XENOPHOBIA.... racism... I don't even know.

Even as a gyopo, I sensed xenophobia.. not from everyone but let's say about 1/4 of people I met. People are extremely standoffish/rude if your Korean falters... but as soon as you bring out your English they get all giggly kind of nice, intimidated... I hate that... why can't you just be open from the get-go and why the heck are you suddenly nice when I speak English? Just don't understand....

5. Appearances

This is a more personal factor. Appearances are huge in Seoul. People dress too well. I'm not saying I don't care about my look but It stressed me out many times because I always felt I had to look good before I went out. ALL THE TIME.

6. Kids/Parents

Srs... not worth it. No respect to teachers. I realized that there was no way I could stand taking abuse of my integrity and intelligence to placate parents and students. I felt pathetic for being a little bitch for hagwon/parents/students to prevent them from quitting. Many times parents complained that my classes were too hard or students made up bs stories saying I was going to fast, etc. In the end, I was responsible for all these things.... coming from a consulting bg, I realized I didn't need to deal with this...

7. Education system

It's all about memorizing stuff. Not really improving critical thinking in English. I started to go crazy teaching the same crap over and over again. I realized hagwon wanted me to just teach whatever book they had and didn't want me to test students mind and help them think independently.....

I would get odd stares when I tried to have the kids voice out their personal hypothetical solutions to challenges/ideas/etc... they just want the answers and A... only some kids that lived abroad understood what I was saying...

8. Collectivism vs Individualism

This is a land where standing out is a big no no... There is no such thing as rewarding uniqueness or pursuing individuality... People strive to work together here, pursue a solution for the common group... Sacrifice individualism for the group... I realized how this stressed me as I took granted the varying freedom of experiences I had living in other parts of the world..."
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=236047

But I realize that having better dating opportunities can do a lot to make up for the negatives. Men did not evolve to be happy without female companionship.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Bascially I have to add what travelers said hits it on the nail.

I knew a number of Korean american guys that went back to Korea but came back to the USA. Yes, they were dating more and some even found a girl friend but everything else they had a problem with.

It seems like find women is BIG motivation but not the only motivation . I want to write more on this later.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

South Korea is only one part of Asia. I prefer Thailand, China, Philippines and other Asian countries over Korea. I think people on this forum forget just how diverse and 'big' Asia really is.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

No point in being an angry, sad, powerless caricature of your racial group. I am glad you broke out of it, zboy, and found freedom and meaning abroad. I wish more Asian men would stop being angry, focused only on financial gain and desperate to fit into Western society, and instead empower themselves and be proud of their roots and heritage.

The best way of battling negative stereotypes and people's flawed perception of you, is by refusing to be that person. To not be bitter, to not be defeatist, but to simply get the f**k out of the culture that is the primary source of your unhappiness. That's how you break the chains and become a free man.

My own sons will be half-Asian too, growing up in Asia, and I don't want them to look at Hollywood movies and thinking that's the default and that's what they have to live up to, or look up to. I want them to look up to rolemodels from their own country, and in their own community. And not think everything American is the pinnacle of perfection and success purely because it says so on TV.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

MarcosZeitola wrote:No point in being an angry, sad, powerless caricature of your racial group. I am glad you broke out of it, zboy, and found freedom and meaning abroad. I wish more Asian men would stop being angry, focused only on financial gain and desperate to fit into Western society, and instead empower themselves and be proud of their roots and heritage.

The best way of battling negative stereotypes and people's flawed perception of you, is by refusing to be that person. To not be bitter, to not be defeatist, but to simply get the f**k out of the culture that is the primary source of your unhappiness. That's how you break the chains and become a free man.

My own sons will be half-Asian too, growing up in Asia, and I don't want them to look at Hollywood movies and thinking that's the default and that's what they have to live up to, or look up to. I want them to look up to rolemodels from their own country, and in their own community. And not think everything American is the pinnacle of perfection and success purely because it says so on TV.
Preach on, brother. LOL. :D
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The amazing thing about China that blows you away is this:

In China, beautiful feminine women and girls who are sincere and down-to-earth are the NORM and in the MAJORITY, whereas in America they are rarer than a needle in a haystack! Thus coming from the USA, you are amazed because it seems surreal that attractive girls could be so down-to-earth and easy to connect with! Once you come to China and experience this, you will be kicking yourself and wondering "Why didn't I leave the USA sooner?!" and also "Why didn't anyone tell me about this before?!"
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne