Any good movies with Happier Abroad themes?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Happier Abroad related movies?

Post by Winston »

Here is a good Happier Abroad movie directed by Woody Allen, though I haven't seen it yet. It's about a guy who is about to be married to a rich materialistic American woman. But when they go to Paris on vacation, he discovers himself there and goes back in time to the Paris of the 1920s and sees how much life was better and more romantic during the golden era of that period.

Midnight in Paris (2011)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1605783/

Storyline

Gil and Inez travel to Paris as a tag-along vacation on her parents' business trip. Gil is a successful Hollywood writer but is struggling on his first novel. He falls in love with the city and thinks they should move there after they get married, but Inez does not share his romantic notions of the city or the idea that the 1920s was the golden age. When Inez goes off dancing with her friends, Gil takes a walk at midnight and discovers what could be the ultimate source of inspiration for writing. Gil's daily walks at midnight in Paris could take him closer to the heart of the city but further from the woman he's about to marry.

Message board comment about the film showing how stupid Americans and their lifestyle are:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1605783/boa ... f_=tt_bd_5
This movie is anti-american ...by ridiculing the contemporary american way of life. Beautiful Paris is shown as antithesis to the ugly americans surrounding gil. They represent total car dependency ("don't walk, you'll get lost!"), empty consumerism (the gardenchair, shopping as end in itself), a very limited ken ("I could never imagine living outside the US") and undisguised materialism ("gil maybe strange, but I've seen what he earns"). Even Inez' supposedly sophisticated friend Paul does nothing but pedantically show off his vast factual knowledge without being able to really understand and thus enjoy Paris, the arts or the spectularly situated wine tasting.

Paris and Gil in contrast are used to demonstrate desirable features most of the US cannot offer. As if the movie said to the american audience: "look at this city and now compare it to the built environment you have to live in! Is walking a joyful pasttime and means of transportation in your place? Do you have streets, which are not merely a corridor for motorized transportation but a vivid public space which is fun to sojourn?"

Gil is living the opposite to what is deemed to be a desirable lifestile in the US. He doesn't care for his career or maximizing his income, he wants to rent an appartment in the city instead of buying a house in the suburbs, he loves walking and does it all the time.

Ironically, although the Paris shown by Woody Allen is completely ill-suited for automobilism (narrow alleys, very high building density, no parking spaces), and although Gil propagates walking, he ends up driving around in a car through nearly all his adventures in the twenties. Ultimately, even for an american like Woody Allen, there is no life without car.
Most of the Americans shown in the movie were portrayed very negatively, acting like uncultured boors. Unfortunately, though, when you travel abroad, you see plenty of Americans like that, everywhere you go.

They think "the locals" should have learned English already, just to accommodate them, when it's their country they're visiting. And if someone doesn't speak English, they think that, if they shout it at him, he will magically begin to understand.

They eat fast food in churches, and they wear shorts and t-shirts into mosques, temples, and holy sites. They barge into shops waving U.S. dollars, and expect to be waited on before all the others who were there waiting first.

They loudly complain that "Nothing here is as good as what we have at home". They really should have just stayed there.
Trailer:

See the full movie on YouTube for a small fee here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NoGpkSTK8k

Or you can look for it on Torrent sites.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's another HA related movie I just saw. This one is very special, magical and meaningful. It's about a young American guy who meets a French girl on a train in Europe and falls in love with her. Together they explore Vienna together. The dialogue, connection and chemistry is very natural and realistic. This movie shows very realistically what it's like to have a soulmate connection with a white female or European girl, and deep meaningful conversations with her, even philosophical ones as well. I know because I've experienced it personally before, and it's the HARDEST and SADDEST thing to let go of. But it's very special and magical while it lasts. It's like for a while, you are both outside of time and space, in another dimension. It's so surreal and makes you feel truly alive. If you've never experienced it, you really don't know what you're missing.

Before Sunrise (1995)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112471/

Trailer

You can see the whole film for $3 on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqX_AZL8Sl0
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Re: Foreign Brides

Post by WorldTraveler »

pandabear wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:The Birthday Girl with Nicole Kidman is a great movie. This movie is a must see for anybody thinking about bringing back a Russian bride.

Closer to Home about the different desires between a Filipina bride and her American husband.
Thanks for the recommendations. I just finished The Birthday Girl, but haven't been able to find Closer to Home.
Closer to Home is on Netflix in DVD disc form. I think you can also buy it used on Amazon. It's a good movie but tragic.
Winston
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Winston »

Winston wrote:Mutiny on the Bounty sounds like an interesting Happier Abroad movie. I'll try to see it. Thanks guys.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056264/
The Bounty leaves Portsmouth in 1787. Its destination: to sail to Tahiti and load bread-fruit. Captain Bligh will do anything to get there as fast as possible, using any means to keep up a strict discipline. When they arrive at Tahiti, it is like a paradise for the crew, something completely different than the living hell aboard the ship. On the way back to England, officer Fletcher Christian becomes the leader of a mutiny.
There's also a 1935 version with Clark Gable, the legendary actor from "Gone With The Wind".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026752/
Fletcher Christian successfully leads a revolt against the ruthless Captain Bligh on the HMS Bounty. However, Bligh returns one year later, hell bent on avenging his captors.
Apparently there's a 1984 film version of this story too, starring Mel Gibson as Fletcher Christian and Anthony Hopkins as Captain Bligh. Any of you seen it?

The Bounty (1984)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086993/

Here is a documentary that examines both sides of the issue about whether Captain Bligh was bad or not, and what Fletcher Christian's motivations were. It features research by the descendants of both Bligh and Christian and what they both think based on the evidence, the trials of both men and the eyewitness testimony of the mutineers aboard the Bounty. It also explores the reasons why the mutineers and eyewitnesses would concoct a conspiracy to destroy Bligh's reputation and what their motives probably were.

The Captain Bligh Conspiracy

Here also is a History Channel documentary about the subject. But it basically just tells the version of events shown in the movies about the mutiny on the Bounty.

IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

Hey Winston I think you would like the movie "KANGAROO JACK" (2003) which is a comedy/adventure starring Jerry O' Connell.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hey check this out. I found the 1984 version of Mutiny on the Bounty, with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkings, on YouTube in full. I saw it the other day and it's pretty good. Well done. The women were beautiful, exotic and sexy, especially the lead that played Fletcher Christian's girlfriend.

The Bounty (1984) Full version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vFg-uKvips

If that ever gets taken down, there is a paid version on YouTube for 3 dollars here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQumBbUacE

Also, here is an audio book of Mutiny on the Bounty, written by Captain Bligh himself, which tells his version of the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIionpoc64

Btw, here's the dance scene on Tahiti from the 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty, where Fletcher Christian sees his love interest for the first time and is smitten by her erotic dancing. lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Heres another happier abroad movie. Its called "Bitter Moon" by roman polanski, the infamous movie director who escaped to Europe to avoid US prosecution for sleeping with a minor.

Its about an older man from new york telling his story about how he went to Paris, met the perfect women on the bus. She was hot, sexy, alluring, sensual, etc. He tells all this to hugh grant, who plays a prim and proper Englishman on a cruise ship.

But after years of f***ing her he got bored and started looking for fresh meat and playing the field. Yet she clung to him like a fatal attraction and begged him not to leave her. Yeah right.

Their relationship was so steamy that it will make you want to move to Paris and pursue French girls. They have such a sexy accent too.

Bitter Moon (1992)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104779/

Signet
Freshman Poster

Post by Signet »

Spring (2014 film)

Guy whose mother dies, and who has nothing meaningful left in his life, heeds advice from a friend and leaves the US to live abroad, hoping to find meaning.

It's also kind of a weird 'horror'/sci-fi movie, but honestly, that whole part felt like it was tacked on to rationalize the rest without just coming out and saying you're making a romance movie.

It's pretty decent. Don't think it was mentioned yet, but there was also a page I missed.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this HA romance film from the 70s called "Yellow Emanuelle". It's about a British pilot in Hong Kong who falls in love with his Chinese nurse who is tall, sexy and gorgeous. He also dates a coworker, who is a hot thin blonde from England who treats him with lots of tender loving care and even lets him borrow her car and pays for his hospital bills on behalf of the company they work for. Gee, what a dream fantasy life for a guy, having the best of both worlds. lol. But he eventually picks the Chinese woman and falls in love and gets engaged with her. Great steamy love story. Man I wish I had a tall sexy Chinese woman like that. Lol

Yellow Emanuelle

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's another HA related film, but with a female protagonist, called "Under the Tuscan Sun". It's similar to "Eat, Pray, Love" with Julia Roberts. An American woman (Diane Lane) leaves a bad marriage and goes to Italy. There she buys a villa and falls in love. Here's the trailer. So does this mean that AW have dreams of being happier abroad too? Lol

Under the Tuscan Sun (2003)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0328589/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Winston wrote:. So does this mean that AW have dreams of being happier abroad too?
I think we should work on stabilizing the monetary system along with property tights and rule by law with a honest jury and court system by piers and in turn this will stabilize most of our other woes including where it all starts in our homes with mother and father........
Time to Hide!
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

Moretorque wrote:....court system by piers........
A court system out on a pier?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Im watching "under the tuscan sun" now. Wow italy looks so fun. Full of romantic freespirits like me. Id fit in there very well. Italy allowd you you to express yourself and act crazy and passionate. USA and Taiwan would never let you do that.

Diane Lane is sweet and down to earth too. Shes likable. Not as conceited as julia roberts is in "eat, pray, love". In the beginning of the movie, her husband leaves her and the lawyers award him the house and alimony payments from her. Wtf? Since when does a man get the house and alimony too?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Heres a modern HA movie that mjay1978 told me about.

EuroTrip (2004)

Dumped by his girlfriend, a high school grad decides to embark on an overseas adventure in Europe with his friends.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356150/

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow folks! I just saw a really good and meaningful happier abroad movie called "Hector and the search for happiness". Its definitely a must see and is an introspective film. Its about a psychiatrist who travels the world trying to find the meaning of happiness. He encounters a variety of experiences and dangers along the way and learns a lot of lessons that he writes down.

The ending is a masterpiece and resonates with me because I've come to similar conclusions about happiness after seeing the big picture, as also revealed at the end of the 1990 movie "grand canyon".

This is a spiritual film too that can cause a shift in your consciousness, which is very rare in today's films. The psychiatrist is funny and looks like my italian friend Alex. Lol. Definitely worth a rewatch.

Also when the protagonist goes abroad he first goes to Shanghai, China. The movie shows how wild, fun, dynamic and vibrant China is. Then he goes to Tibet, Africa, Los Angeles and finally goes home a happier, wiser and more enlightened man.

Here is the imdb page and trailer for the film. This is definitely one of the most meaningful films you'll ever see, and it's a happier abroad film too.

Hector and the Search for Happiness (2014)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1626146/

Here are the reviews by users for the film. As you can see most reviewers gave it 10 stars and found it very meaningful and good for multiple viewings too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1626146/rev ... _=m_tt_urv

An imdb review:

"It's theeeee most meaningful movie i have ever seen

10/10 | Ritwick Mishra | 18 Jan 2015

This is for the first time I am writing a review for a movie despite the fact that i have been a big time movie buff for 20 years. Reason...I was compelled to step out of my own resignation.

Of all the brilliant movies out there, this one, in my humble opinion, has the power to shift something deep inside 'most' people. Most.... but not all,,, for some people are so inured into the vagaries of life that they might lose patience with a somewhat slow pace of the movie. Well, losers....have patience...it will pay. If you are someone who values time....YOUR TIME...ON THIS PLANET...you've gotta watch this. There is no incomprehensible philosophical blabbering in this....just plain and authentic experiential learning of a psychiatrist committed to figuring out the answer of perhaps the oldest question of mankind in a non judgmental objective way. Categorically recommended to everyone with even an ounce of brain."