Cambodia sucks now

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cambodia sucks now

Post by Cornfed »

10 years ago, I lived for six months in Cambodia. There I made an average of $9.50 per teaching hour, with an expectation that I would do many more hours preparing, marking etc. Now people are doing the same thing, except that they are making the same dollar amount for worse working conditions and for worse pay, since the cost of living is twice what it was when I was there, but to reiterate, they are getting the same pay. If you are broke, then for Christ's sake, don't go to Cambodia.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Appreciated info!

If you were young and broke, with a college degree but no other credentials, where would you go to teach English?
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Jester wrote:Appreciated info!

If you were young and broke, with a college degree but no other credentials, where would you go to teach English?
Well, unless you have got somewhere to go to by your family connections, by default it has to be China.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:

Well, unless you have got somewhere to go to by your family connections, by default it has to be China.
You would pick China over Korea?
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Jester wrote:You would pick China over Korea?
If you are a single, blonde, attractive, tall, young, big titted female, North American and speak with a standard accent then Korea would be good. For most of us, China would be a better deal.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Jester wrote:
Cornfed wrote:

You would pick China over Korea?
If you want to maximize savings, Taipei is probably better than most of China. And it's a lot easier to live in to. Trust me. But you need to have a 4 year university degree in some field to be able to work.

Korea sucks cus of how xenophobic they are, the necessity to sing long term contracts, higher cost of living, and horrible winter weather. And you can save more in Taipei too.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote: If you want to maximize savings, Taipei is probably better than most of China. And it's a lot easier to live in to. Trust me. But you need to have a 4 year university degree in some field to be able to work.
Korea sucks cus of how xenophobic they are, the necessity to sing long term contracts, higher cost of living, and horrible winter weather. And you can save more in Taipei too.
Do you by chance know what the difference in pay (for English teachers) is between Urban vs Rural in TW?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

momopi wrote:
Rock wrote: If you want to maximize savings, Taipei is probably better than most of China. And it's a lot easier to live in to. Trust me. But you need to have a 4 year university degree in some field to be able to work.
Do you by chance know what the difference in pay (for English teachers) is between Urban vs Rural in TW?
No, but I suspect it's not so different. It's just that in rural areas, full-time work at one school might be harder to come by. And if you have to travel around, it might require a lot of transport time. I had 2 tenants last year (white guy and HK Brit girl couple) who came and stayed with me for one month. Within 10 days, both had secured full-time positions at private English schools for children for 5 days a week and NT$70,000 a month plus benefits. We calculated that they could each save NT$40,000 a month just on that and if they got ambitious, could teach on weekends as well and make significantly more. In fact, the guy had great drum skills and was thinking of teaching drumming on the weekends which can pay quite well. They can find a centrally located Taofang to stay in together for about NT$12,000 a month including utilities and food plus transport are very easy and cheap in Taipei. I used to go all the way to Hsinchuang from Taipei on a bus for like NT$30 door to door.

Winston and I did meet some English teachers in Chiayi one time. I think they were making slightly less. But living there would be utter Hell. Rural Taiwan is really so lame and boring. If you like natural wonders, then there is some stuff on east coast. But once you factor everything in, you save more money in Taipei and keep your sanity. One of the teachers there was telling me about how country people in Chiayi area are and that someone like Winston (or the HK British girl) would have a hard time getting hired, especially at similar pay. But in Taipei, most parents realize that an 1 Gen or ABC speaks English just like a white American.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote: Winston and I did meet some English teachers in Chiayi one time. I think they were making slightly less. But living there would be utter Hell. Rural Taiwan is really so lame and boring. If you like natural wonders, then there is some stuff on east coast. But once you factor everything in, you save more money in Taipei and keep your sanity. One of the teachers there was telling me about how country people in Chiayi area are and that someone like Winston (or the HK British girl) would have a hard time getting hired, especially at similar pay. But in Taipei, most parents realize that an 1 Gen or ABC speaks English just like a white American.
I'm from rural Changhua and whenever we wanted to hit the town for shopping or food, we took a ride to Taichung. hehehehe.

If I were to live in Taiwan again, I'd prolly choose Yilan. More open space, less smog, better fishing, cheaper houses w/yard. IMO if someone wanted to teach English in TW and can secure a job in Yilan, the rent and cost of living is far lower than Taipei, and it's close enough for a day trip to Taipei. I think about 1 hour by bus?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

momopi wrote:
Rock wrote: Winston and I did meet some English teachers in Chiayi one time. I think they were making slightly less. But living there would be utter Hell. Rural Taiwan is really so lame and boring. If you like natural wonders, then there is some stuff on east coast. But once you factor everything in, you save more money in Taipei and keep your sanity. One of the teachers there was telling me about how country people in Chiayi area are and that someone like Winston (or the HK British girl) would have a hard time getting hired, especially at similar pay. But in Taipei, most parents realize that an 1 Gen or ABC speaks English just like a white American.
I'm from rural Changhua and whenever we wanted to hit the town for shopping or food, we took a ride to Taichung. hehehehe.

If I were to live in Taiwan again, I'd prolly choose Yilan. More open space, less smog, better fishing, cheaper houses w/yard. IMO if someone wanted to teach English in TW and can secure a job in Yilan, the rent and cost of living is far lower than Taipei, and it's close enough for a day trip to Taipei. I think about 1 hour by bus?
But what besides rent is cheaper? And besides, even rents in Taipei are quite modest if you shop a bit. Girls can get 5,000-8,000 all-in Taofang right in the city. Getting around in rural areas can be challenging. Motorcycles suck when it's rainy and/or cold. If you ever have to take a taxi, it's gonna be a lot more expensive in the countryside. There's less in the way of food choices and things close early. In Taipei, you can find lots of options for cheap eats (exotic local to quasi western) open late. You can go to university areas and get a hair-cut in a modern place for 120. I don't sense that grocery stores are any cheaper in rural areas than the best values in Taipei. And Taipei has Costco and other bulk shopping options near mass transportation if you wanna save more by buying in bulk.

You know I think rural areas being cheaper is partially a myth. Sure, it's a lot cheaper to buy property in the sticks. But if you are just renting, the overall cost of living difference may get offset by advantages of city. It's not just Taiwan either. For example, I found Kingston, the capital of Jamaica had much cheaper and better value for money options for accommodation than about anywhere else on the island. Ditto for better food. I've found this true in a number of countries.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote: But what besides rent is cheaper? And besides, even rents in Taipei are quite modest if you shop a bit. Girls can get 5,000-8,000 all-in Taofang right in the city. Getting around in rural areas can be challenging. Motorcycles suck when it's rainy and/or cold. If you ever have to take a taxi, it's gonna be a lot more expensive in the countryside. There's less in the way of food choices and things close early. In Taipei, you can find lots of options for cheap eats (exotic local to quasi western) open late. You can go to university areas and get a hair-cut in a modern place for 120. I don't sense that grocery stores are any cheaper in rural areas than the best values in Taipei. And Taipei has Costco and other bulk shopping options near mass transportation if you wanna save more by buying in bulk.
You know I think rural areas being cheaper is partially a myth. Sure, it's a lot cheaper to buy property in the sticks. But if you are just renting, the overall cost of living difference may get offset by advantages of city. It's not just Taiwan either. For example, I found Kingston, the capital of Jamaica had much cheaper and better value for money options for accommodation than about anywhere else on the island. Ditto for better food. I've found this true in a number of countries.
Why I wouldn't want to live in Taipei:

Yilan has much cleaner air, and with more affordable homes with yard, I can grow my own vegetables.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

momopi wrote:
Rock wrote: But what besides rent is cheaper? And besides, even rents in Taipei are quite modest if you shop a bit. Girls can get 5,000-8,000 all-in Taofang right in the city. Getting around in rural areas can be challenging. Motorcycles suck when it's rainy and/or cold. If you ever have to take a taxi, it's gonna be a lot more expensive in the countryside. There's less in the way of food choices and things close early. In Taipei, you can find lots of options for cheap eats (exotic local to quasi western) open late. You can go to university areas and get a hair-cut in a modern place for 120. I don't sense that grocery stores are any cheaper in rural areas than the best values in Taipei. And Taipei has Costco and other bulk shopping options near mass transportation if you wanna save more by buying in bulk.
Why I wouldn't want to live in Taipei:

Yilan has much cleaner air, and with more affordable homes with yard, I can grow my own vegetables.
No argument there! But the whole 'rural areas are cheaper' stereoype sometimes turns out to be false depending on the country and circumstances. For my particular lifestyle, costs would go up, not down if I moved from Taipei City to the sticks of rural Taiwan.

Don't ever come to Metro Manila. You won't last a day. Air here seems 10 times worse than anything I've ever seen in clean Taipei.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Cambodia sucks now

Post by Winston »

Cornfed wrote:
April 20th, 2014, 11:10 pm
10 years ago, I lived for six months in Cambodia. There I made an average of $9.50 per teaching hour, with an expectation that I would do many more hours preparing, marking etc. Now people are doing the same thing, except that they are making the same dollar amount for worse working conditions and for worse pay, since the cost of living is twice what it was when I was there, but to reiterate, they are getting the same pay. If you are broke, then for Christ's sake, don't go to Cambodia.
Where were you? In Phnom Penh? I'm here in Siem Reap right now and it's the most INEXPENSIVE place I've ever been to. Much cheaper than Philippines and much higher quality and value in what you get in terms of food and accommodations. Even cheaper than Thailand. You can get a very nice hotel room for 13 dollars here, and even less. It includes breakfast too. I've even seen decent hotel rooms with all amenities for 6 dollars a night. I will post an example below later. Also canteen food can be had for 2 dollars a dish and the food is decent quality like in Thailand. Not unedible like in Philippines. And transportation is only 2 dollars for a tuk tuk ride anywhere in town, or 1 dollar if you use Pass App, which is like Grab except cheaper.

The vibe here is also nice. It feels wholesome and unwesternized, like living in the past, before there was any degenerate libera NWO culture or satanic worship.

So you can conceivably live here for less than 500 dollars a month, if you budget well, even if you stay in hotel rooms all the time. Meals here can be 2 to 4 dollars depending on what you eat. If you like quality seafood then you will pay more. But if you eat only vegetables or fried rice, you can spend very little for meals.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Cambodia sucks now

Post by Winston »

Here's that hotel I was talking about above for 6 dollars a night listed on Agoda. As you can see the room looks nice and clean and the swimming pool looks nice too.

https://www.agoda.com/day-day-inn/hotel ... abbed=true

I know it's too good to be true and you're wondering "What's the catch?" Well I dunno, but the reviews on there are mostly good. I'll try and stay there sometime and see if it's legit. Either way, at these rates, one can live in Cambodia on a small budget. Plus you can extend your visa indefinitely too, for cheap as well.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne