How to travel Japan on a budget inexpensively (articles)

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: How to travel Japan on a budget inexpensively (articles)

Post by Winston »

OTB wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 5:44 pm
Winston my man! Thanks for posting this. I've been on the fence about Japan due to hearing how expensive it is. It's my goal to get to Asia this year. So I'm between Thailand and Japan. But prefer Japan as my first Asia trip. It's cheap to get there, now that I live in SoCal, but once there lodging is more expensive than Thailand. Even staying in a hostel. Not too expensive; $22+/night compared to $10+/night in Thailand. I checked Airbnb and found a nice hostel in Tokyo for a good price; Nest Inn $16/night as well as a few others.

Also I hear food is really expensive. However, I made a comment on a YouTube vid a couple of weeks ago and one guy replied saying outside of Tokyo rent and food is cheap.

I don't have to stay in all the main tourist areas nor go to all the main attractions. But of course I want to see a few temples/shrines and some of the main attractions. I really want to observe Japanese culture, the GIRLS, the landscapes, etc. I'm looking to go for two weeks in Oct. or Nov. I could stay in Tokyo for 2-3 days then move to another city. Cities that are cheap but interesting.

Would $1500 be enough for two weeks?
I think so. In the articles I posted in the OP, they said that you can get by in Japan on $70 a day if you follow all the budget guidelines listed in the articles. Take a look at them. They have some good advice. I think you can do Japan on a budget without going through too many inconveniences. However, even on a budget, Japan is still not cheap. It's still more expensive than Thailand, no matter how you do it. But there are ways of saving money of course.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Post by MatureDJ »

Are there any brothels where the women are sexy anime cosplay?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

MatureDJ wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 11:34 am
Are there any brothels where the women are sexy anime cosplay?
There are of course, but nightlife of any kind is very expensive in Japan.

This thread is about 'Japan on a budget inexpensively'.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow check this out. Rock showed me this. This rail pass in Japan lets you take the train around Osaka, Kyoto and Nara for around 14 dollars. What a deal! See details and packages here.

https://www.klook.com/en-US/activity/55 ... ass-osaka/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw, Rock gave me a great tip. If you wanna travel Japan inexpensively, avoid Tokyo. Instead go to Osaka and Kyoto. There you can have accommodation and expenses at lower prices, yet experience the wonders that Japan has to offer in terms of museums, palaces, temples, shopping centers, arts and festivities, Japanese gardens, etc.

Thats why backpackers tend to go to Kyoto in fact.

I checked on Agoda.com and apparently Rock is right. The accommodations i saw in Osaka are cheaper than in Tokyo. There are capsule beds for 20 dollars for example, that are super clean and comfortable and convenient, with everything you need. And some futon beds in tatami rooms for 18 dollars too! I never would have thought such bargains existed in Japan! Wow. But they do if you do research and use search engines!

Here's how you find the cheapest accommodations in any given city. Go to www.agoda.com and enter in the city name and any random dates in the near future. Then when the listings come up, filter them and sort them by lowest price first. Then you will see the dirt cheap listings come up first. Usually the cheapest ones will be hostels with dorm rooms.

However sometimes they will be decent hotels with clean basic rooms with all the amenities you need too. Just check the photos, reviews and ratings of each listing that fits your budget. You can often find good value accommodation at bargain prices if you do this. Yes even in Japan! Try it and you will see.

After Thailand and Cambodia, Dianne and I may go to Japan next.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Another article on how to save money and travel cheaper in Japan.

https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-destina ... s-Possible

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Article about common travel mistakes people make in Japan.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/nusrat ... l-mistakes

flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

Regarding point #2 about getting pocket Wi-Fi:

This could make sense if you are travelling with a buddy or in a small group. If you are travelling alone, get a SIM card! It's cheaper than pocket Wi-Fi and less cumbersome, and when you're done with it you can just toss it. Electronics stores like Bic Camera are good places to go to get a SIM card.

Just make sure not to misplace your original SIM card. I have done that before :cry:
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

flowerthief00 wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 12:52 pm
Regarding point #2 about getting pocket Wi-Fi:

This could make sense if you are travelling with a buddy or in a small group. If you are travelling alone, get a SIM card! It's cheaper than pocket Wi-Fi and less cumbersome, and when you're done with it you can just toss it. Electronics stores like Bic Camera are good places to go to get a SIM card.

Just make sure not to misplace your original SIM card. I have done that before :cry:
Does the SIM card come with a package data plan with 3G or 4G? In Thailand and Cambodia you can get a cheap SIM card that comes with enough data to last for weeks. It's very inexpensive and easy to set up and use. However, it's not like that in Philippines. The data plans there are complicated and expensive and not easy to figure out how to use like in other Asian countries. I don't know why. Lots of things in Philippines are dumb. Their data plans are confusing as hell and not straightforward. They keep mixing up data with video and use a lot of words and terms I don't understand. Data plans should not be that complicated. Then you gotta buy load and subscribe to them. Other countries have cheaper simpler plans that last for weeks and are easy to set up. Is Japan like that too?

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 5:06 am
Lots of things in Philippines are dumb. Their data plans are confusing as hell and not straightforward. They keep mixing up data with video and use a lot of words and terms I don't understand. Data plans should not be that complicated. Then you gotta buy load and subscribe to them. Other countries have cheaper simpler plans that last for weeks and are easy to set up. Is Japan like that too?
You can check out the providers what they offer...
In any international airport in Japan - however useful if you reserve in advance before arrival what you need.

For example in English:

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/service/svc_19

and follow their links, for example

https://www.ntt.com/personal/services/m ... or/en.html
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow good news!

Japan Aiming to Pay 50% of Travel Costs For Tourists
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42558

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Nice scenic views of Japan that show the beauty of Japan in a nutshell.