Going to Medical School Abroad

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

The Jewish are flocking to Manila bc of this. Their amount is staggering, they have their own Hebrew translators at the immigration office.

Arabs are also well represented.

It is also becoming increasingly popular to Latin America (yey latinas in the Philippines!!).

Koreans are here for English.

Indians are here for MBAs.

It is a legit industry. It is only going to get bigger. Business opportunity anyone?
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

There's also film schools that cater to europeans and rich Asian kids. Set in beaches bro, lol! hipster heaven!
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

HouseMD wrote:
Maverick wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
zboy1 wrote:I'm an x-ray tech with a bachelor of science degree. For a while, I was thinking of going to medical school in the Caribbean, but I decided that I didn't want the lifestyle of working long hours for the rest of my life. It would also mean that I wouldn't have a chance to travel the world, like I'm currently doing right now as an English teacher...
I traveled a bit before school, plus I'll get to do away rotations abroad and I can travel during my vacations every year until I finish residency. Yeah, I won't get to live abroad for an extended period in my youth, but once I finish residency, I can live my life as I see fit. I know a few docs that only work three to six months a year, and travel the rest or just bum around on a beach somewhere. Or you can work part time- i used to work with a lot of docs that only worked 8 12 hour shifts a month for half pay, or 10 shifts for 2/3 pay in the ER. Or you could just work your a** off for 5 years doing a lot of extra hours and retire early (working something like ED, where you are paid hourly, you can easily pull 600k plus a year- save 300 of that and live on the rest, five years later you'll have over 1.5 million in the bank-enough to live off of the capital gains till you die in SEA).

You can live a modest life abroad if you leave now, or you can set yourself and your family up to live like royalty if you put in the hard work now. It is a very personal decision, I actually struggled with it for a while, but ultimately decided my youth was worth sacrificing for prosperity. At Winston's age, I will have saved well over a million if things go as planned. And I'm having a good time anyway, with great friends, a good girlfriend, etc, so med school hasnt been that bad so far. I'm not saying there is a right or wrong to it, just that the younger guys here might want to consider seeing up their long term financial stability while they can.
Not sure where you're getting your info from, but ER docs definitely don't make 600k per year.

You won't see that kind of money unless you are extremely specialized or are in a field like dermatology (extremely competitive) or plastic surgery (which will take a sh*t load of time in school).

Yes, I'm also in the medical field.

Also, as a doc, you can easily get sued and lose everything. I've seen it happen before. In today's medical field, it's CYA (cover your a**) first, patient second. Also, you deal with an insane amount of entitlement from patients and Obamacare just made things a million times worse.

Being a doc isn't what it used to be, I'm afraid. It's still one of the more lucrative professions of course, but I don't know if I would go into it if I had to redo my life choices.
You can make 600k a year, you just need to be willing to work in the middle of nowhere and put in a lot of overtime. Look up rural EM locum tenens positions. Consider that a regular position is 36 hours a week and pays 240k a year, or 125 an hour in a city ED. You can pull $225 an hour in some rural positions (nearly double regular pay) and you are free to work as many hours as you want. And you can be sued for everything, but -not- in a state with decent tort law, such as Texas. Call up a locums agency and tell them you're a board certified EM doc and want to work as many hours as possible and don't give a damn where you have to go. It'll blow your mind how much money there is to be made.

You can also independently contract with some hospitals for locum work- generally The rate agencies contract is double what you are being paid, so if you're willing to do your own licensing and other paperwork, you can pull $350 an hour or more. Plus you can open your own side businesses, such as opening an urgent care center or medical weight loss center, to pull in a solid secondary income stream. Staff them with midlevels and make bank as the medical director, ta da.

I worked with some very brilliant young physicians before I got into school. The wealthy ones shared a lot of good info with me. One guy was making 800k a year from a posh cash only medical weight loss center, while another ran three urgent care clinics that were staffed with two midlevels each, netting him 100-200k per center after expenses. And this was just their side income.

Work hard, and there is plenty of money to be made. Just expect long hours and be willing to work in places where you're the only guy willing to work there and you can bleed them dry.
Interesting.

Personally, I took the midlevel provider route (I'm still not sure if that was the right decision) even though medical school was certainly an option for me at the time.

Time will tell, I suppose.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

If one wants to go to PI for some kind of health related degree, it's better to get nursing, medical technician, pharmacist or dentistry. They are easier to export to other Western countries. Medical doctor training in PI doesn't transfer to other Western countries unless they go back to school in whatever country they want to practice in, and many PI doctors don't want to do that.

I'd rather train as a veterinarian, that's easy to transfer from country to country and nowadays can be quite a lucrative career, minus dealing with annoying humans all the time where half probably don't deserve to live or be saved anyways.

BTW, Iranians are in PI training to become dentists to try immigrating to Canada or work back in Iran. I interview them from time to time.

I've never interviewed or seen latinas in PI going to school, they are rare if they even exist. They generally don't speak English so wouldn't go to school here. The largest foreigner groups are Koreans, (en masse) Indians, Africans from English speaking African countries, Iranians, Papua New Guineans but they are normally nuns or priests doing training here. I've only interviewed one South American woman from Bolivia in my 6+ years here and she was a homely looking nun!

I've seen Latina whores working in Makati pick up bars/clubs before back in the day but that was more an anomaly then the norm. It's too expensive for them to come here and they have the same weather where they are from. If they are working girls they would rather go to Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan where the real money and action is.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Mr S wrote:If one wants to go to PI for some kind of health related degree, it's better to get nursing, medical technician, pharmacist or dentistry. They are easier to export to other Western countries. Medical doctor training in PI doesn't transfer to other Western countries unless they go back to school in whatever country they want to practice in, and many PI doctors don't want to do that.

I'd rather train as a veterinarian, that's easy to transfer from country to country and nowadays can be quite a lucrative career, minus dealing with annoying humans all the time where half probably don't deserve to live or be saved anyways.

BTW, Iranians are in PI training to become dentists to try immigrating to Canada or work back in Iran. I interview them from time to time.

I've never interviewed or seen latinas in PI going to school, they are rare if they even exist. They generally don't speak English so wouldn't go to school here. The largest foreigner groups are Koreans, (en masse) Indians, Africans from English speaking African countries, Iranians, Papua New Guineans but they are normally nuns or priests doing training here. I've only interviewed one South American woman from Bolivia in my 6+ years here and she was a homely looking nun!

I've seen Latina whores working in Makati pick up bars/clubs before back in the day but that was more an anomaly then the norm. It's too expensive for them to come here and they have the same weather where they are from. If they are working girls they would rather go to Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan where the real money and action is.
You will not be able to work in most Western counties (though the US might be an option again if they increase residency positions, which I doubt will happen). Only Filipinos can practice professions (law, medicine, etc) in the PI, per their Constitution. So really that leaves Singapore, the middle east, oil rigs, and cruise ships as easy options. There are other possibilities, but I wouldn't bank on them.

An American doctor, regardless of where they trained, can command good salaries in the UAE and Saudi Arabia, mostly tax free as well.

There are better countries to get a medical degree from if you want to practice in the first world. Polish medical degrees can land you a job anywhere in the EU, for instance. Not saying this is an option for everyone, but for a select few, it might be their ideal ticket out.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

HouseMD wrote:
Mr S wrote:If one wants to go to PI for some kind of health related degree, it's better to get nursing, medical technician, pharmacist or dentistry. They are easier to export to other Western countries. Medical doctor training in PI doesn't transfer to other Western countries unless they go back to school in whatever country they want to practice in, and many PI doctors don't want to do that.

You will not be able to work in most Western counties (though the US might be an option again if they increase residency positions, which I doubt will happen). Only Filipinos can practice professions (law, medicine, etc) in the PI, per their Constitution. So really that leaves Singapore, the middle east, oil rigs, and cruise ships as easy options. There are other possibilities, but I wouldn't bank on them.

An American doctor, regardless of where they trained, can command good salaries in the UAE and Saudi Arabia, mostly tax free as well.

There are better countries to get a medical degree from if you want to practice in the first world. Polish medical degrees can land you a job anywhere in the EU, for instance. Not saying this is an option for everyone, but for a select few, it might be their ideal ticket out.
I was elucidating that if you were to get a medical related degree from one of the top Uni's in PI or a properly recognized Uni (one needs to be careful in PI) you can work relatively easy (as long as you have good English) in one of the English Speaking Western countries as a Dentist, Nurse, Veterinarian, Medical Technician or Pharmacist. Usually these countries either have you take a certification test or some kind of bridging program to make sure your academics are properly aligned with theirs. Medical Doctor degrees from PI are not recognized outright in Western countries unless they want to go back to medical school in whichever Western country they want to live/practice in.

The reason I know this is because I have to interview Filipinos on a regular monthly basis trying to get work visas in relation to their medical degree so I know a Filipino or Foreigner can go to school in PI, save major money in the process and then work professionally in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom, United States or Ireland. They may have to take a certification test or a couple of semesters of additional course work but it's better than having to pay Western prices for 4-6 years for the same degree program, in said Western country.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Mr S wrote:
HouseMD wrote:

I was elucidating that if you were to get a medical related degree from one of the top Uni's in PI or a properly recognized Uni (one needs to be careful in PI) you can work relatively easy (as long as you have good English) in one of the English Speaking Western countries as a Dentist, Nurse, Veterinarian, Medical Technician or Pharmacist. Usually these countries either have you take a certification test or some kind of bridging program to make sure your academics are properly aligned with theirs. Medical Doctor degrees from PI are not recognized outright in Western countries unless they want to go back to medical school in whichever Western country they want to live/practice in.

The reason I know this is because I have to interview Filipinos on a regular monthly basis trying to get work visas in relation to their medical degree so I know a Filipino or Foreigner can go to school in PI, save major money in the process and then work professionally in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom, United States or Ireland. They may have to take a certification test or a couple of semesters of additional course work but it's better than having to pay Western prices for 4-6 years for the same degree program, in said Western country.
The second half of my post was for one of the posters prior to you that had asked about the practice situation in the Philippines. Totally agree with you about the other professions though. Dentistry is a particularly good field if you have the dexterity, and there are few places cheaper to study than the Philippines. Nursing is good as well, so long as you carefully choose your school. I'm not too familiar with pharmacy regulations, but pharmacy is a pretty decent field overall.
TopSpruce
Freshman Poster

Post by TopSpruce »

Yup, MDs certainly make great money.

If you want money, become a USA MD.

If you want is p***y...then its overkill.

Go to Southeast Asia or Eastern Europe and set up a decent career. Learn the language and talk to girls....bam, you land a cute girl.

For those interested in money, yes USA MD is a great path. But do remember you likely give up on girls for most of the journey getting there. Its about delaying reward and getting more later...which works for those who really want that big reward.

Honestly, its a very personal choice. You have to play with the cards your dealt with.

For example, I respond poorly to stress and overworking. If I put full effort into making cash as a USA MD I would likely burn out. I may end up rich, but I would be near death from the stress and wouldn't be able to enjoy my reward.

Life is a balance between work and rest, stress and relaxation, sympatheticc and parasympathetic.
The best tip to success in life that I have heard is "Know thyself". Really, if people take a realistic look at what you want and what they're capable of...its possible to find a nice compromise.
JohnWu
Freshman Poster

Re: Going to Medical School Abroad

Post by JohnWu »

I also want to get a medical education, but somewhere in Europe, perhaps Germany - as far as I know, quotas for foreigners are open there, and you just need to confirm your diploma and pass an essay, confirm the language of course. But I don’t know if I can handle it - because German is hard to learn, and research papers have to be written in German.
Last edited by JohnWu on January 11th, 2021, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey guys! I want to share with you my find term paper help This is a service to help you write written works, do homework, etc. I use it with pleasure, there are real professionals, everything is done on time, without comments, always in touch. Thanks to them, I have good progress and a lot of free time.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

The students that don't get accepted to med school in western countries come to Cebu.

https://cebudoctorsuniversity.edu/
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

JohnWu wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 12:37 pm
I also want to get a medical education, but somewhere in Europe, perhaps Germany - as far as I know, quotas for foreigners are open there, and you just need to confirm your diploma and pass an essay, confirm the language of course. But I don’t know if I can handle it - because German is hard to learn, and research papers have to be written in German.
Look into the various schools that teach in English in Europe. Charles University in Prague and several universities in Poland come to mind, as the EU has regulations that allow you to use medical education earned in any country to work elsewhere so long as you can pass the local boards.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

HouseMD wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 4:57 am
JohnWu wrote:
Look into the various schools that teach in English in Europe. Charles University in Prague and several universities in Poland come to mind, as the EU has regulations that allow you to use medical education earned in any country to work elsewhere so long as you can pass the local boards.
I have thought for a year that I want to go back to university. Maybe I get a medical degree to become some sort of doctor and hopefully find friendships in the class with students 18-23 (and maybe if I am lucky, one has a hot teen sister 14-16 and I get to date her). Don't see too many cons to it except my usual money issue that comes with being poor.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Tsar wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 11:39 am
HouseMD wrote:
JohnWu wrote:
I have thought for a year that I want to go back to university. Maybe I get a medical degree to become some sort of doctor and hopefully find friendships in the class with students 18-23 (and maybe if I am lucky, one has a hot teen sister 14-16 and I get to date her). Don't see too many cons to it except my usual money issue that comes with being poor.
And the legal charges. You wouldn't do well in prison, probably best for you to stay away from young girls for everyone involved's sake
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

HouseMD wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 6:51 pm
Tsar wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
JohnWu wrote:
And the legal charges. You wouldn't do well in prison, probably best for you to stay away from young girls for everyone involved's sake
Teens are legal.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Tsar wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 7:02 am
HouseMD wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 6:51 pm
Tsar wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
JohnWu wrote:
Teens are legal.
14 years old won't fly in most countries unless you're within a certain number of years of them. Basically any country that takes foreigners for teaching medical school in English the age of consent is 18.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... of_consent