Ladislav in Brazil

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Ladislav in Brazil

Post by ladislav »

I am now in Rio de Janeiro. Funny how airplanes in and to Brazil are filled with many blond people and how on the ground people look way darker.
Anyway, went to the Copacabana beach. Very nice, nice sand, and Rio is much more dynamic than Sao Paulo which looks like a US rustbelt city or worse. A city of faded glory. Very sad. What it used to be and what it is now. Rio is way happier.
With the falling Real, Brazil is now 30% cheaper than the Philippines. Good for us, bad for Brazil. But things are holding up in Rio still.
It is nice to have a dream like this coming true. But as usual, it's tainted with bullcrap. The internet is not working as well at the hotel, onetravel dot com charged my card twice. The cellphone stopped charging.
But the Atlantic smells its old smell.
As far as the babes go. Not that many on the beach as the show in the movie. The same bs as in the movies about California beaches.
Everything the media portrays is bs.
Still kind of happy to be here.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

djeanp7898
Freshman Poster

Post by djeanp7898 »

As far as the babes go. Not that many on the beach as the show in the movie. The same bs as in the movies about California beaches.
Everything the media portrays is bs.
Still kind of happy to be here.
I'm sorry but you are wrong, brother...LOL. You haven't been here long enough to make that assessment.

There's a LOT of sexy women in this city. A LOT. Go to Ipanema or Barra da Tijuca on a weekend.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I am now in Rio and the natural scenery is spectacular. Blood-curdling beautiful! There are all these enormous rocks, as high as skyscrapers and the city is just built with them in it. Buildings and streets are flush with them. Never saw anything like this. The streets are cleaner, the people are way more polite and I even went to the Red Light district. They have go go bars as in pole bars, but the ladies are not so pretty as in the PH. Depends on what you like. If you like big haunches and bubble buts, you'll have a field day.
The food is great, the sidewalk cafes are cozy and now, generally speaking, Brazil is cheaper than the Philippines. Because of the tumbling down local currency.
Went to the beach, strolled along Copacabana. A very happy place and everyone looks prosperous. Very few foreigners here now. I only saw 2-3.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

What is the face mask regime there like? Does it strike you as just another covid concentration camp, or closer to normality?
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

I admit I didn't read. Just looking for the pictures, which Ladislav usually has plenty of. Where are they?
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Observations:

1) One is not a "porener" in Brazil. When one is walking down the street, one is assumed to be a Brazilian. This is such a huge melting pot of races, even more so than the US. So, everybody is a Brazilian unless they dress drastically differently and until they speak. One white guy came with his E. Asian GF to Brazil and both were assumed to be just Brazilian. It feels good not to stick out for a change. But also there is no special smile for you, no gasp, "Oh, Amerikaaaaaano!" and that smile directed at you.
This is not a Hispanic country, but a Luso-country. Lusitania/Portuguese-based. Just like Cambodia was a Franco- colonial sphere, same as VN, with France drenching everything in its cultural influence. Here it's Portugal that is felt in everything. A whole different cultural sphere, and a bit of a fresh air after say, Mexico and other Hispanic places and after the stiff Anglo-sphere.

Less machismo, less "orgullo" and "dignidad", fewer puffed up chests and less macho grandstanding. The people are just relaxed and act normal with no affectations of any kind. No Anglo meanness and/or sarcasm, as well.
3) It's now very cheap with the Real tumbling down below 5 to the dollar. So, you can stay in the glorious, divine, unearthly Rio de Janeiro cheaper than you stay in Manila.
4) The food here is not exotic as in Japan or Korea or Hungary or Thailand, etc. Just basic rice, beans, steaks, pastries, bread, butter, milk, eggs, etc. Very simple. But, everything is simply delicious! You just go "Yumm!" when you drink local milk and eat local bread. Everything is super-tasty and wholesome.
5) At the same time, there is no sweetness of the Philippines here, not the same vibe in the air. Yes, it's OK, but the people are not as happy here as they are in the PH. So, you do feel relaxed and normal here, but you are not steeped in the boiling-over joy that Filipinos exude. It's another experience, not bad, not good, but different. I miss the happy feeling that you get infected with when you just walk out on a Philippine street, though.
6) There is virtually no English here in daily life. Very little to none. They give you menus in Portuguese and sometimes, proudly in Spanish. They hear you have an accent and they switch to Spanish, not English. Basically, it's better to learn Portuguese, as it's not that difficult. Also, the locals don't feel surprised that you speak Portuguese. On the contrary, they are surprised that you are speaking with an accent as they didn't think you were a foreigner.
7) They are not as friendly as Filipinos. Not even close. Even in Manila, the people are very nice. Here, while not too hostile or too mean, they are kind of afraid of strangers. Probably because of the crime rate. Once they hear you have an accent, though, they lighten up a bit. "Oh, he's not dangerous because he's a foreigner actually". And since you look like the locals- which can be anything- you are nothing special.
8) The %% of beautiful women here is way lower than in the Philippines and many seem to have boyfriends. In say, Cebu, you walk out and you see a stream of gorgeous ladies coming at you from everywhere. Without boyfriends. Not here. I see some that are good looking, but most are kind of average. And the pretty ones are in groups with model quality guys. It;s not as bad as in the US, but still not as good as the PH.
I went to their entertainment district and again, the general level of attractiveness was way lower than in the PH, to put it mildly. Entertainment service costs $14 per half hour.
Ukraine is the only country I know which has the same %% of beautiful women per cross section of population as the PH.
9). A foreigner can stay on a tourist visa only 180 days in a year. Three months at a time. Then, you cannot activate your SIM card easily. You need to go to the carrier HQ and then have it activated with your passport.
10) Customer service here is not as efficient as in the US and not as polite as in the PH. They mostly just want to get rid of you asap.
These are some initial impressions based on what I have seen so far.
Last edited by ladislav on January 17th, 2021, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

gsjackson wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 12:56 pm
What is the face mask regime there like? Does it strike you as just another covid concentration camp, or closer to normality?
Required in closed spaces. May be taken off while eating. Not many are wearing them on or near the beach or while walking down the street.
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

Guhji wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 12:17 pm
ladislav wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 2:03 am
I am in Brazil.

Decided to take a cheap overnight redeye from Palm Springs. Only $658 round trip -- to check out the place. Why not? No job, can' t fly to the PH, so why the heck not?

I am now in Sao Paulo. The place looks very sad because of the covid. No tourists. But kind of cheap. This room is in the center and costs only $ 14 58.

First impression: Mexico City appears to be in better shape than Sao Paulo. Here in Sao Paulo, the infrastructure is not as good. Parts of it remind me of the old part of downtown LA. Have not seen it all but looks kind of old- ish.

The immigration was fast. Virtually no foreigners coming in. 90 days on arrival.

In the part of town I am in, there are a lot of poor people, and folks sleeping on the street. Then, you can spot the poor by the way they stoop, the dimness of the stare, the way they just carry themselves. Just resignation basically.

Well, where else can I get a suite for $14 a night? Now is no time for luxury when I have no job and am trying to save. I am lucky I am not one of those people so should be grateful.

These past few months, I've been studying Portuguese by myself, and completed some 60 hours of self-study. It's not easy. Very slurry, and kind of meowing-like. It sounds like Russian or Polish. Sh-zh-r-zh-sh-r. Have been making sentences bit by bit. So weird listening to myself speak it. They speak fast here, and my ears are not used to it yet.

My mother listened to it and said that Portuguese sounds like a Polish person speaking Spanish.

From what I see around, and in Latin America in general, there is no dynamism of Asia here. None of the same economic energy as in say, Cambodia or the Philippines, none of the same enthusiasm. There is this lethargy that Asia doesn't have.

Also, the number of beautiful women in SE Asia is still just staggering compared to L. America. No matter what anybody says.
Ukraine is the only country that I know that can compete with SE Asia in the %% of gorgeous ladies everywhere.

Here, they look OK, but they don't take my breath away.

Uber here is not cheap. A bit lower than the US, but still expensive. From the airport to Sao Paulo center, it cost me $76. About the same as it would in the US. Either that, or the guy goofed up.

Went to the corner store at night to get some groceries, cheese, ham, milk, bread, some snacks and it was less than $5.

Will see what the future days bring.
"Also, the number of beautiful women in SE Asia is still just staggering"

I know a lot of white guys prefer SE Asian women over E Asian women. As a Korean, my impression of Filipinas, Thais etc. has always been that they're small, brown, and stumpy. Whereas a lot of Korean women are tall, leggy, and busty-comparatively speaking, of course. They're just far more attractive, on average. Just my opinion.
In the Philippines you should have little problem finding a Filipina with Korean looks AKA Kopina. Last time I was in Angeles City I went to Club Atlantis with a friend. There was a Kopina working there that snuck up on me and started to massage my shoulders. I wanted to Bar fine her but she discreetly told me she was on her "menstruation". God was she stunning! But if Murphy's Law would have it I was leaving the Philippines much sooner then her menstruation was going to end.
options in the US: maybe have a shot at a angry bluehaired landwhale and then, prison :roll:
options abroad: limitless 8)
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

In Brazil, I notice that women are not friendly to strange men. So, there is some andro-phobia. They avoid talking to you and look at you suspiciously. The same everywhere. Even I went to get a pedicure and the lady was sulking. Later, when they hear I am a foreigner, they relax a bit. Nothing like this in Mexico where they love talking to a guy, and there is no fear. Today I was in an elevator at my hotel going to the same floor as this lady. She got out and started running looking at me probably thinking I was pursuing her, but I was just going to my room.
Some may say, " Oh, maybe the problem is YOU!?"
It is. I am a man. So, I am the problem.
How come I don't experience it in the Philippines? Or in Mexico? Even in the US, they don't have that fear.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

In the Philippines you should have little problem finding a Filipina with Korean looks AKA Kopina. Last time I was in Angeles City I went to Club Atlantis with a friend. There was a Kopina working there that snuck up on me and started to massage my shoulders. I wanted to Bar fine her but she discreetly told me she was on her "menstruation". God was she stunning! But if Murphy's Law would have it I was leaving the Philippines much sooner then her menstruation was going to end.
Used as an excuse meaning I don't like you or I don't want to f---- you. You can still take her out for non traditional activities.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Theres a city in brazil that has 11 women to every man. I can't remember the name of it. You should go there next.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

ladislav wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 9:58 am
Used as an excuse meaning I don't like you or I don't want to f---- you. You can still take her out for non traditional activities.
Yeah there's just one little problem with your theory. She already told me to come back and meet her at a certain time before I told her when I was leaving so whoops there goes your bullshit trolling oh well
options in the US: maybe have a shot at a angry bluehaired landwhale and then, prison :roll:
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

Taco wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 10:47 am
Theres a city in brazil that has 11 women to every man. I can't remember the name of it. You should go there next.
The problem with these trip reports is success or failure in these places is highly variable for an individual. For all we know Ladislav could be 400 lbs and old and bald and have warts all over his face and halitosis and so on. As such only the most hardcore professionals would ever touch him. We just don't know! I'm not saying that's the way it is but it could be.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

fdiv wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 6:37 am
Taco wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 10:47 am
The problem with these trip reports is success or failure in these places is highly variable for an individual. For all we know Ladislav could be 400 lbs and old and bald and have warts all over his face and halitosis and so on. As such only the most hardcore professionals would ever touch him. We just don't know! I'm not saying that's the way it is but it could be.
I've talked to him on Skype. He's in his 50's I think.

In some countries it doesn't matter what you look like because the competition for men is so high. In the Philippines, a 28 yr old Filipina killed a younger Filipina fighting over a 44 year old American guy a few years ago.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs