Easiest Country To Make Male Friends?

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
shawnberwick
Freshman Poster

Easiest Country To Make Male Friends?

Post by shawnberwick »

Hi guys,

I'm curious where in your experience are good places to find friends?

From what I've seen Thailand might be the best place for single men, due to influx of them. But I'm not into the pay for play/nightclub lifestyle, which is what a lot of guys who go there seem to be into.

Thoughts?
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Re: Easiest Country To Make Male Friends?

Post by Lucas88 »

shawnberwick wrote:
April 23rd, 2022, 3:03 pm
Hi guys,

From what I've seen Thailand might be the best place for single men, due to influx of them. But I'm not into the pay for play/nightclub lifestyle, which is what a lot of guys who go there seem to be into.

Thoughts?
The best way to make friends in any country is to join clubs based on a particular activity. A club's common interest is effective in binding members together and forging a sense of brotherhood. You could join a club with locals or with expats, although the former option may require some level of language proficiency.

What kind of club you choose to join will obviously depend on your own interests. My main interest is martial arts and so whenever I go to a foreign country I always check out the local MMA/combat sports gyms and join the one that suits me the most. Before long I'm able to make friends with some of the guys who are usually very welcoming since we already have a common interest and a form of mutual respect that exists among martial artists and they start to invite me to places outside of training. This results in the expansion of my social circle. Other possibilities include art classes, dance classes (these usually attract more females), fitness classes, chess club and myriad other things.

If I were in Thailand I'd probably join a Muay Thai gym (one aimed at foreign learners), train during the day, make some guy friends and then go out with them in search of local women at night.

What country is the easiest to make friends depends largely on what race you are, what languages you speak, etc. There's no one size fits all when it comes to this.
shawnberwick
Freshman Poster

Post by shawnberwick »

@Lucas88

Thanks, dude.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

Vietnamese pride themselves on being friendly. They'll tell you over and over how friendly they the Vietnamese people are. And they're pretty much right. It's part of why I went to live there for awhile; one of two reasons I chose it over Thailand. (the other reason being that I prefer the transportation options in Vietnam...which is another way of saying I don't like being ripped off in Thailand's notorious meter-less taxi scene)
shawnberwick
Freshman Poster

Post by shawnberwick »

@flowerthief00

Thanks for sharing.

If only Vietnam made it as easy as Thailand to live off Crypto.
Jamessmith0901
Freshman Poster

Post by Jamessmith0901 »

shawnberwick wrote:
April 23rd, 2022, 3:03 pm
Hi guys,

Thoughts?
Yeah! I totally agree about Thailand. While it does have a reputation for being a popular spot for single men, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Based on my own experience, I would suggest anywhere in Chile. It's a beautiful country with diverse landscapes and a vibrant culture. Plus, the people there are known to be friendly and welcoming. Even this article proves it. https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in ... guide-5558 btw I also met my partner in Santiago, Chile, we are almost 10 years, and he is a good man also his family and friends even though I am a gay, they accept and respect me. :)