Video: REVERSE Culture Shock as an American

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Video: REVERSE Culture Shock as an American

Post by kangarunner »

Check out David's channel. He's an American guy living in South America. This guy KNOWS....He's Happier Abroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Re: Video: REVERSE Culture Shock as an American

Post by kangarunner »

I love the comment on this video. He says that when he comes back to America he feels uncomfortable and when he leaves America he has more freedom. You know that's another thing about being in America....it makes everyone feel uncomfortable and tense and on edge.
Great video David. I've been living in the DR since 2007 but am moving to Colombia and also Nicaragua within the next 3 months. I love the latin culture and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Don't like the U.S. anymore and feel very uncomfortable everytime I have to go back for business or family events. Can't wait to leave and get back to freedom. Funny to say about the supposed land of the free but it's true. Too much rules, regulations and taxes for me and the liberal path the country is on goes against everything I believe in. Big advantage to Latin America is the women. I'm happily single and latin america is the fountain of youth. I can have any age, type, size of women I want and they have a way better attitude then American women.. That's my story..

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I had reverse culture shock recently after visiting Germany. I am trying to get back to the puritanical culture we have in the US after visiting a sexually liberated country like Germany.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

jamesbond wrote:
May 25th, 2022, 3:58 pm
I had reverse culture shock recently after visiting Germany. I am trying to get back to the puritanical culture we have in the US after visiting a sexually liberated country like Germany.
How is it a puritanical culture? It's not at all. It depends on how you define what a sexually liberated culture is. I would want to read what you have to say about your time in Germany if you have the time to write on that.

By the way, I think once one has adapted to the good life abroad, it is not possible to come back to America and adjust again. I've only been back about 2 months now and I've noticed I have less energy, less optimism, and my way of thinking has changed from being more hopeful and cheerful to being more serious and focused. I just look at everyone and people seem so separated from each other. It's sad.

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Prostitution is illegal in America, it's legal in Germany. In that regard the US is not sexually liberated at all.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Santander
Freshman Poster

Post by Santander »

Reverse culture shock is much more aggravating and stressful than normal culture shock, because when you arrive in a foreign land, you might not belong as a local, but you belong as a foreigner.

When you arrive back in the US after being abroad for a long time, you simply don't belong at all.

I've left the US for Asia and Europe and come back probably 10 times over the last 15 years. Every time I return, I feel like a fish out of water.

I'm always in a terrible mood, I can't relate to anyone, I can't imagine sticking around, and I can't wait to leave again.
Last edited by Santander on June 3rd, 2022, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.