What exactly is ruining romance in the world?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What exactly is ruining romance in the world?

Post by Cornfed »

Something akin to the idea of romance seems to crop up from time to time in history. Hence the term "romance", presumably a reference to Latin poets.
Mew6ix
Freshman Poster

Post by Mew6ix »

Arranged marriages these days tend to be 12-year-old girls in a Middle Eastern country being married off to a wealthy Saudi millionaire. Feminists dare not protest against that though, because the CIA and America are supporting Saudi Arabia.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Mew6ix wrote:
June 18th, 2022, 7:09 pm
Arranged marriages these days tend to be 12-year-old girls in a Middle Eastern country being married off to a wealthy Saudi millionaire. Feminists dare not protest against that though, because the CIA and America are supporting Saudi Arabia.
Most arranged marriages I'm familiar with are from India. They're usually adults at the time of marriage but are promised to each other by families when they are both children, or they are individuals that failed to find a partner by 22 or so and their family sets them up with someone. I know plenty of happy Indian couples from arranged marriages
Mew6ix
Freshman Poster

Post by Mew6ix »

India is becoming Westernized that there are millions of single men who are flooding Toronto in search of a Canadian wife. Good luck to them.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

HouseMD wrote:
June 18th, 2022, 4:33 pm
Romance is a nonsense idea that started a few hundred years ago but which only became a big force in the last 200 years. Romance is the root of many problems in modern society, as is clearly demonstrated by the fact that arranged marriages are happier than Western ones. Chasing the right one when such a thing often doesn't exist is what leads people to stray and sleep around.

I agree, the obsession of romantic love in western countries is ridiculous and explains why so many marriages fail in western societies. There are people who firmly believe in 'soul mates' which is another western society myth. Arranged marriages don't sound so bad after all.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

HouseMD wrote:
rudder wrote:
June 10th, 2013, 10:21 pm
I've heard plenty of theories about feminism, the media, etc. etc.

But what's really going on? What's at the core of the matter? Or is it a combination of different things?

Is it something in the water? Are women being chemically targeted through food to have their pussies dry up? A Peruvian penpal girl asked me, "es verdad que alla las mujeres son secas?" I told her yes, and she said women are not like that at all in Peru.

Is it the media? Who's behind this assault on romance, who stands to gain? Why? How?
Romance is a nonsense idea that started a few hundred years ago but which only became a big force in the last 200 years. Romance is the root of many problems in modern society, as is clearly demonstrated by the fact that arranged marriages are happier than Western ones. Chasing the right one when such a thing often doesn't exist is what leads people to stray and sleep around
I was wondering what happened to the great Doc. Remember what you said about your head stone or in your case your Mausoleum dedicated just to you for all your splendid royality and achievements.

I won't be remembered by anybody but the good doctor.
Time to Hide!
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

jamesbond wrote:
June 19th, 2022, 12:23 am
HouseMD wrote:
Romance is a nonsense idea that started a few hundred years ago but which only became a big force in the last 200 years. Romance is the root of many problems in modern society, as is clearly demonstrated by the fact that arranged marriages are happier than Western ones. Chasing the right one when such a thing often doesn't exist is what leads people to stray and sleep around.

I agree, the obsession of romantic love in western countries is ridiculous and explains why so many marriages fail in western societies. There are people who firmly believe in 'soul mates' which is another western society myth. Arranged marriages don't sound so bad after all.
I agree with this 100% romanticism has become so exaggerated that it just becomes cringe as f**k. I blame things like Disney and romantic chick flicks or whatever they're called which always portray the guy as some "romantic" simp who bends over backwards to make the woman of his dreams happy. These kind of movies with the "Prince Charming" narrative sets an unrealistic precedent for men to live up to. And ultimately most never do. What happens afterwards? The women become discontented and seek their fairytale romance somewhere else.

What happened to just appreciating each others company and everything feeling more..... natural? Instead we have to put up with the idea of marriage "her special day" when it is supposed to be a union between two people. (Its actually a union between 3 parties, the couple and then the state!)

I also think this concept of "Soul Mates" is cometely whimsical and has no basis in reality at all. Everyone who has ever been in a long term relationship has found their soul mate, until it all goes Pete Tong. Pmsl. I think this idea of having a soul mate is the biggest load of Disney inspired bollocks out of the lot of it. People don't have soul mates. They just meet someone they get along with and they either stay with them or they don't. It's that simple.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
June 19th, 2022, 12:31 pm
jamesbond wrote:
June 19th, 2022, 12:23 am
HouseMD wrote:

I agree with this 100% romanticism has become so exaggerated that it just becomes cringe as f**k. I blame things like Disney and romantic chick flicks or whatever they're called which always portray the guy as some "romantic" simp who bends over backwards to make the woman of his dreams happy. These kind of movies with the "Prince Charming" narrative sets an unrealistic precedent for men to live up to. And ultimately most never do. What happens afterwards? The women become discontented and seek their fairytale romance somewhere else.

What happened to just appreciating each others company and everything feeling more..... natural? Instead we have to put up with the idea of marriage "her special day" when it is supposed to be a union between two people. (Its actually a union between 3 parties, the couple and then the state!)

I also think this concept of "Soul Mates" is completely whimsical and has no basis in reality at all. Everyone who has ever been in a long term relationship has found their soul mate, until it all goes Pete Tong. Pmsl. I think this idea of having a soul mate is the biggest load of Disney inspired bollocks out of the lot of it. People don't have soul mates. They just meet someone they get along with and they either stay with them or they don't. It's that simple.

I agree, I think Disney and romantic movies are to blame for a lot of the ideas of soul mates and romantic love and has no basis in reality at all. Women in western countries are obsessed with romantic love and finding "The One" (her soul mate). I think a lot of these women have daddy issues and didn't get enough love from their fathers growing up.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Moretorque wrote:
June 19th, 2022, 7:12 am
HouseMD wrote:
rudder wrote:
June 10th, 2013, 10:21 pm
I've heard plenty of theories about feminism, the media, etc. etc.

But what's really going on? What's at the core of the matter? Or is it a combination of different things?

Is it something in the water? Are women being chemically targeted through food to have their pussies dry up? A Peruvian penpal girl asked me, "es verdad que alla las mujeres son secas?" I told her yes, and she said women are not like that at all in Peru.

Is it the media? Who's behind this assault on romance, who stands to gain? Why? How?
Romance is a nonsense idea that started a few hundred years ago but which only became a big force in the last 200 years. Romance is the root of many problems in modern society, as is clearly demonstrated by the fact that arranged marriages are happier than Western ones. Chasing the right one when such a thing often doesn't exist is what leads people to stray and sleep around
I was wondering what happened to the great Doc. Remember what you said about your head stone or in your case your Mausoleum dedicated just to you for all your splendid royality and achievements.

I won't be remembered by anybody but the good doctor.
I was busy playing with my new M440i, makes my Hemi feel like a joke, but I still love that V8 American sound. I'll probably be around for a while yet, just busy with life and work. If I even exist, that is- perhaps I'm just an AI program created to disrupt the sites of conspiracy theorists and the like. The world may never know.
calmlife
Freshman Poster

Post by calmlife »

Mostly, social media and there expectations.