Freedom to Colombia

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Re: Freedom to Colombia

Post by kangarunner »

WilliamSmith wrote:
February 11th, 2023, 2:31 am
@kangarunner
Great videos so far. :)
Which do you like better, Colombia or Vietnam? (Or others if you liked Thailand or wherever better?)

What about Panama vs Colombia, or vs any of the above?
(I was interested in Panama too because it's pretty cool and also a lot of times a haven vs hurricanes, but damn... Colón on the Caribbean side, LOL... Well, nevermind my impression on that place. :mrgreen: You tell us if you had any impressions. :lol: )

I personally love Japan, but I love Vietnam the most as a nation, but also the Cantonese I know in Caribbean islands even more.

I would like to do something like this sometime too (making videos of the places I've been, and will go to again in future once I'm done helping out half my f-ing family who are all dying, sigh).

Any videos will be on the "conservative" side in my case. (Even if I'm a womanizer with a drinking problem, I don't want to do anything that would mislead anyone into thinking I was trying to lure "sexpats" into the nations I love the most)...

But I liked watching those street scenes and getting a sense of the vibe there.
I also hope I'll be able to make videos like these while cruising (though I'd guess there's probably tons of other people who probably already have done that... )
Can't compare South America with Asia at all. They're too different. As far as which is better IMO, I would probably choose SE Asia because I'm a true island explorer. There's a shit ton of islands to check out in SE Asia.

Yeah Japan is awesome and is a must see simply because that culture is unlike any other in the world.

When I was in Panama the humidity was unbearable to the point I said I never wanted to go back, but I did talk to an American guy down there that said he knows retirees in the city of David.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

@Lucas88 @WilliamSmith

This video was filmed in El Centro yesterday Saturday. This is the downtown area where it's very busy during the daytime and tons of markets.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

kangarunner wrote:
February 12th, 2023, 6:43 pm
@Lucas88 @WilliamSmith

This video was filmed in El Centro yesterday Saturday. This is the downtown area where it's very busy during the daytime and tons of markets.

@kangarunner
I like this stuff you've been posting. I'd really like to do this kind of thing (i.e. post videos showing off cool places I've been / will go to) too for some of the countries I love the most at some point. :)
Not to mention sailing between multiple islands!
That I could get away with easier next time I get to do it, because it won't be obvious exactly which country I actually live in.
(My contributions would be on the conservative side and I'm never going to post anything that'd attract 'sexpats', but you're not doing that either with these awesome street scenes. Thanks for posting them!)
Last edited by WilliamSmith on February 13th, 2023, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

kangarunner wrote:
February 12th, 2023, 6:36 pm
Can't compare South America with Asia at all. They're too different. As far as which is better IMO, I would probably choose SE Asia because I'm a true island explorer. There's a shit ton of islands to check out in SE Asia.
Damn true! Thailand and the Philippines look like a paradise of amazing islands! I haven't had the pleasure of actually sailing there yet (maybe someday if I get good enough at fixing and flipping boats that I can literally do ocean-crossing voyages), but noticed that. DK Eyewitness even published a whole volume on "Thailand's Beaches and Islands," in addition to their other on the country of Thailand itself. :)
(There's more pirates to watch out for in Indonesia and some other waters in SEA, though they too have beautiful remote islands and anchorages, but I understand a lot of sailors have been attracted around the Thai and Philippines areas in particular.)

Personally, because it's gotten sadly problematic to go to HK or Macau because of modern day geopolitics (not to mention high costs), I like Vietnam the best: If I was going to choose just one country and it had to be in SEA, that'd be it! I've heard they're expanding options for sailing there too. Have to repost my pic of beautiful 下龍灣 Vịnh Hạ Long "Descending Dragon Bay":

kangarunner wrote:
Yeah Japan is awesome and is a must see simply because that culture is unlike any other in the world.
I agree: I love Japan and think it's awesome. It truly is a unique nation. Only a "small" island nation in a sense, yet is also spans majestic breathtaking icecapped peaks and northern rugged mountain lands in Hokkaido, down through every other climate with deciduous and evergreen forests and pastoral scenes, all the way down to tropical island paradise at the southernmost points. I want to go walk that hiking circuit on Shikoku Island at some point. :)
kangarunner wrote:
When I was in Panama the humidity was unbearable to the point I said I never wanted to go back, but I did talk to an American guy down there that said he knows retirees in the city of David.
Interesting, hahah, I've heard the same about retirees in Panama and also Costa Rica. Sailors warned me heavily off Colon (Caribbean side of the Panama canal), saying it was a rathole where you'd better have at least a few robust friends by your side if you want to walk around downtown there, but I can't say. I looked a bit at it as a bolthole for hurricanes, but have heard in recent years that hurricanes have made landfall even down there.

Personally I'd rather get my boat stored on land and hide on one of the islands even during hurricane season, but at least I'm getting to enjoy all the sights and sounds of Latin America from distance, thanks to your videos.
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

The locals come out and do this every Sunday. A lot of fun and nice, sunny weather. This is in the El Poblado area.

Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

kangarunner wrote:
February 12th, 2023, 6:43 pm
@Lucas88 @WilliamSmith

Medellín looks amazing. The buildings charm the soul with their bright colors, the streets seem clean and well-organized, and the people look so soulful and vivacious. And I bet the climate is just perfect too!

Itagüí looked quieter and more relaxed than downtown Medellín. Is that the kind of vibe that you get from it too? Also, do you think that Itagüí would be a good place to live?

What kind of accommodation are you staying in? Did you just rent an apartment for a few months?

I read that you intend to explore some smaller towns and also Isla de Providencia. To be honest, I didn't even known that Colombia had its own islands off the coast of Nicaragua (I had always assumed that those islands belonged to some Central American country). Colombia truly is an amazing land with its sophisticated highland cities like Medellín, its Caribbean and Pacific coastlines, its tropical rainforests, and its enchanting islands. What smaller towns do you want to visit? Be sure to tell us all about your experiences!

By the way, I recently made my own thread titled: "Profiles of Colombian highland cities" (it includes map locations, basic information, photos and video footage of various cities and towns that I've researched): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47198

Your videos are really neat. They seem natural and authentic and never forced.

I too want to explore Medellín and a few other Colombian cities. Colombia is now number one on my HA list.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

This is where I work from during the day here in Medellin.

Last edited by kangarunner on February 18th, 2023, 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Lucas88 wrote:
February 14th, 2023, 3:25 pm
Itagüí looked quieter and more relaxed than downtown Medellín. Is that the kind of vibe that you get from it too? Also, do you think that Itagüí would be a good place to live?
The whole city is sprawling and spread out. Many foreigners here are in Poblado or Laureles.
Lucas88 wrote:
What kind of accommodation are you staying in? Did you just rent an apartment for a few months?
I'm in a cheap hotel.
Lucas88 wrote:
I read that you intend to explore some smaller towns and also Isla de Providencia. To be honest, I didn't even known that Colombia had its own islands off the coast of Nicaragua (I had always assumed that those islands belonged to some Central American country). Colombia truly is an amazing land with its sophisticated highland cities like Medellín, its Caribbean and Pacific coastlines, its tropical rainforests, and its enchanting islands. What smaller towns do you want to visit? Be sure to tell us all about your experiences!
A lot of landscape in Colombia. Andes Mountains. Los Nevados National Park.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

I went to La Setenta street (La 70). The locals go there and dance and have a good time.

rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Good for you. I wish I were a trust fund baby too. :P
Seriously how can you afford all this travel?

Your videos do make me happy. I like how you sound like you've found your freedom.

Did you ever feel like you'd never be able to travel to these places again without a vax passport? I reflect on some of my writing from one year ago, and I was very worried about that. Hopefully the world stays relatively normal for a long time.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

rudder wrote:
February 27th, 2023, 5:41 pm
Seriously how can you afford all this travel?
Money laundering. Racketeering. Strong-arm robbery. Extortion. Gambling. Managing Prostitution Rings.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

I'm here in Santa Marta which is the Caribbean area of Colombia. Mestizo blood. Just today it's a hot, sunny Caribbean day. I was standing in a long line at an ATM and some young dude (30s) holding a baby comes up to me and speaks in Spanish about that he needs money. motherf***er I'm literally minding my own business not bothering anyone and I'm standing here peacefully. And now you are harassing me. So then I get money from the ATM. I've been pissed off from all the locals here coming up to me (the white guy) begging for money. Then I go to a outdoor restaurant to f***ing relax. I walk to wash my hands and that same guy walks by on the street and looks at me and says "Hola amigo" and smiles. I didn't smile back. motherf***er I've lived long enough to know that you may be smiling on the outside but you're a snake on the inside.

Smiles on the outside. Snake on the inside.

I'm writing this to that asshole who came up to me at the ATM and then saw me at the restaurant later and said "Hola amigo". motherf***er, I'm on a f***ing vacation. I don't want to be harassed by you while I'm enjoying my f***ing time here.

I'M NOT THE ONE WHO HAD A BABY AND NOW AM BEGGING WHITE FOREIGNERS COLOMBIA FOR MONEY.

DO YOU EXPECT ME TO GIVE YOU MONEY???? THAT WOULD MAKE ME A BITCH AND YOU MY DADDY.
DO YOU EXPECT ME TO GIVE YOU MONEY???? THAT WOULD MAKE ME A BITCH AND YOU MY DADDY.

I know the reason why you came up to me.

Let me say that again. I know the reason WHY you came up to me.

Listen closely....

YOU CAME UP TO ME BECAUSE YOU SEE MY WHITE SKIN AND YOU THINK I'M WEAK.

YOU THINK I'M A LITTLE WEAK WHITE BITCH...

TO THAT LOCAL GUY HOLDING THE BABY: YOU LOOKED AT ME AND IN YOUR MIND YOU SAW A LITTLE, WEAK, WHITE p***y BOY.

...WHO SHOULD GIVE YOU MONEY.

f**k YOU.

f**k YOU.

f**k ALL OF YOU.

Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Hey @kangarunner, just out of curiosity, did you encounter many beggars in Medellín? Or does Medellín have less beggars due to its higher level of economic development?

Naturally, I'd rather stay in a place where there are not that many beggars and hustlers. Being constantly approached by people begging for money or trying to sell me stuff quickly overwhelms me due to my social anxiety. I remember that it was like that in certain parts of Lima. But in smaller cities I barely encountered beggars at all. Likewise, I don't think that I ever encountered a single beggar in Montemorelos, MX or Monterrey, MX barring one seriously handicapped gentleman who begged in the street not so far from where I was living. Monterrey is the richest and most economically developed city in Mexico.

I'm a compassionate person. I often give a few euros or dollars to those who are destitute. I don't mind helping those who are in need. However, I hate that "fake smile" thing that you described. That is because I prefer people to be sincere rather than feigning friendliness. I remember when I was getting some Chinese food with my girlfriend at the Sun Mall in Guadalupe, Monterrey when two guys approached us. They weren't beggars; they worked for some charity organization and were asking for donations. One of the guys had a strong air of fake friendliness about him. He was pretending to be interested in us and giving us all kinds of compliments. It really pissed my girlfriend off and she refused to donate any money. She even told me that she would have given them something if the guy hadn't acted fake and insincere.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Lucas88 wrote:
February 28th, 2023, 8:49 pm
Hey @kangarunner, just out of curiosity, did you encounter many beggars in Medellín? Or does Medellín have less beggars due to its higher level of economic development?
No, I encountered no beggars in Medellin. The aggressiveness and boldness of the beggars in the Caribbean area where I am now is due to the history of this area. They look at white foreigners as ATMs.