Detroit Homes Avg. $6000

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Detroit Homes Avg. $6000

Post by Taco »

Detroit homes prices(avg. $6000) are just another reminder the US economy is not recovering. With 50% unemployment, a police force that only works from 8am-4pm and bus drivers that are terrified to go to work due to skyrocketing crime, houses in Detroit are selling for nothing. By comparison, a new one bedroom house in Cebu, Philippines is about $12,000.

Detroit Is In Utter Shambleshttp://www.businessinsider.com/detroit- ... ly-2011-12

Here's what you get for $6000
http://hotpads.com/real-estate/Detroit- ... PerQuad=24
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Sorry, here's the link.

Detroit Is In Utter Shambles

http://www.businessinsider.com/detroit- ... ly-2011-12
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Are you sure that new house in Cebu is only $12 000?
odbo
Veteran Poster

homes for $50 in beautiful Detroit

Post by odbo »

It's like peaking into the future of America. :shock:

The elites call this^ "post-industrial zero-growth society."

Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

50 Dollars. This is cheap. Maybe I should go to Detroit. It´s cheaper than 3rd world countries.
navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

Billy wrote:50 Dollars. This is cheap. Maybe I should go to Detroit. It´s cheaper than 3rd world countries.
Don't forget about annual property taxes, back-taxes, other outstanding liens, assorted late fees, accrued interest, unpaid utility bills, repairs, closing costs, etc. Those are the hidden costs. When all is said and done, you can expect to pay tens of thousands of dollars on top of the listed price. All to live in a shack, located in a dangerous city with limited employment opportunities. And good luck trying to resell the home. There's a good reason these homes aren't flying off the market like hotcakes.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: homes for $50 in beautiful Detroit

Post by OutWest »

odbo wrote:It's like peaking into the future of America. :shock:

The elites call this^ "post-industrial zero-growth society."

I was born near Detroit. Its a lot more than the recession that has destroyed Detroit. Detroit was in decline by the 60's, the race riots pretty well sealed
its fate. With white flight from Detroit, the tax base began to vanish, and the usual "black leaders" took over, with predictable results. No city can survive with the kind or rampant murderous criminality that took over Detroit. Right across the river is Windsor, Ontario, which suffered the same economic forces, but since it is a city that is not run by hoodlums, it is still a decent place to live. Ah yes, diversity at work....

Outwest
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

The worst mistake of my life by far was investing $70,000 in Detroit, almost all of which I've lost. It is an utterly lawless environment. Everyone I dealt with -- everyone -- was an unscrupulous predator who stole as much from me as he could. And I'm talking here about white people, some with JD's and such after their names. Do not go anywhere near the city. It is a human cesspool.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Damn, sounds like mad max. Frightening.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Mad Max, but with a veneer of respectability to disguise the fact that everyone you deal with is a ruthless predator.

The recession has brought out the latent predator in Americans who are strapped for money, which is most of them right now. While there are some very attractive real estate investment opportunities in this country right now, don't put up any money that involves having to rely on someone else's honesty and competence. You will regret it.
wardkingg
Freshman Poster

Post by wardkingg »

Don't forget about yearly property taxation, back-taxes, other excellent liens, an assortment of additional fees, acquired interest, overdue bills, fixes, settlement expenditures, etc. Those are the invisible expenditures. When all is said and done, you can expect to pay thousands on top of the listed price. All to live in a shack, located in a risky city with limited job opportunities.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Lake Las Vegas condos:

http://www.redfin.com/NV/Henderson/29-M ... e/29052613

2006: $409,900
2012: $43,500

http://www.redfin.com/NV/Henderson/29-M ... e/28965550

2006: $299,900
2010: $32,000

This is not an endorsement to buy.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Momopi, that´s incredible. What is the problem with these condos?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

There are far better places to invest $40k cash, than one of these 446 sq ft condos in Henderson.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

In munich it would be maybe 100k. Though you can´t compare. We don´t have that weather, pool and lifestyle. With that extra it would be worth north of 200k.