Why are there so many self-hating Asian Americans????

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Why are there so many self-hating Asian Americans????

Post by zboy1 »

I'll give some examples as follows:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ57IMZ4 ... plpp_video[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AhDP97j ... plpp_video[/youtube]

I ask the question because I see self-hatred as an epidemic in the Asian American community. I even know some Asian Americans (men and women) who completely denounce their race and heritage. The lack of pride in ones heritage and culture is very shocking to say the least. Is this common in other races as well? Is this common in Asia as well (I hope not)? Because if I see this same kind of behavior when I move to Asia, I might as well kill myself since there's no point in being an Asian man in this world.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

Definitely no such problems in Asia zboy. Over here Asian men are very proud to be Asian, and definitely do not suffer an identity crisis.

I'm very happy to be Asian in Asia. While in America you see that virtually every Asian girl would be open to dating white guys, it's not actually the same in Asia where a good portion of Asian (and in particular Oriental ones as opposed to Thais/Filipinos) women actually rule out dating out of their race. There is a very small segment that would only date white guys but it's a very small number and nothing like in America.

Over here, the concept of an ideal male is a good looking, well to do, matured Asian male.

Men would rather look like this (see picture below) than look like Tom Cruise.

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Well, that's good to know, ethan. Thank God not all Asians act like this. BTW, do you live in Singapore? Do you like it over there? I would love to live in Singapore one day, but it's very difficult to immigrate over there. I do have a bachelors degree in Business, so that does make it somewhat easier for me to find a job there one day. Do you know anyone hiring Americans in Singapore right now?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

The reason is I guess, because there is no strong Asian "nationality" in the US as there is a Black and Hispanic "nationality". And overall, there is no "American nationality" in social life. Unlike in Brazil for one, where all these people would be Brazilians. Someone I guess wants to keep people divided in the US. Some unseen hand. It is a sick system and one that no one should adjust himself to.

I had a similar experience with my Semitic facial features growing up among Slavs. You can call it "
"Asian"- (technically, it is)- self hate. Used to sit by the mirror straightening my hair and pulling my nose up. There were no nose jobs at that time in that place. But I had no trouble making friends and getting dates,though.

My features came in handy when living in the Middle East- I did not stick out during terrorist attacks and could go outside looking like someone from Syria and Lebanon and not like someone from the Coalition of the Willing.

One thing that I have learned as I got older was to stop worrying about the "why-s" and instead worry about the "what-s". What is the situation like? What can be done to correct it? What is the quickest and most efficient way of dealing with it and getting satisfactory results? Ask yourself those questions and they will lead you down the correct path.

Also, leave the American race structure behind when you go international. In Asia, a person does not wake up and mumble - "I am Asian, I am Asian!" They think of themselves as being Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc. They call white people - foreigners, not "white". In Europe also, they do not wake up and say- "I am white, I am white". They think of themselves as being German or Polish or Serbian, etc. And in Latin America they also just think of themselves as the country they were born in + an adjective suffix. They have discrimination by color, but they do not elevate it to the status of a nationality/ethnicity. All people born there are just called by the name of the country.

The US structure is vicious and divisive and you will need to clear your mind from it as soon as you leave it. Just be aware that it is not the only sick structure out there so don't end up becoming part of some other hateful system. For example, I would not go to Japan if I were you. Find out where people that look like you are not on the local shitlist and make exit/entry plans.
zboy1 wrote:Well, that's good to know, ethan. Thank God not all Asians act like this. BTW, do you live in Singapore? Do you like it over there? I would love to live in Singapore one day, but it's very difficult to immigrate over there. I do have a bachelors degree in Business, so that does make it somewhat easier for me to find a job there one day. Do you know anyone hiring Americans in Singapore right now?
Actually, Singapore is always looking for new citizens as not many people want to live there because of its small size and very strict laws. Plus immigrating vs getting a work visa are two different things. As far as getting jobs there, google is only a click away. And Us citizens can get a 3 month tourist visa on arrival into Singapore. So, spending time there is a cinch.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Intolerant
Freshman Poster

Post by Intolerant »

In general, the average Chinese prefers to marry someone from their own locality. Back in the day, that was the norm for most marriages due to language barriers and cultural similarity within regions.

There isn't any strong 'Asian nationalism' within the US, since they are mainly dominated by Chinese nationalists, Korean nationalists or Vietnamese nationalists. Most Japanese here in the US are either too mellow to express their beliefs or are thoroughly Americanized. Even in the US, Chinese people (most first-generation and some second-generation) call themselves Chinese and call white people 'foreigners' even though they're not living in China.
Terrance Johnson
Freshman Poster

Post by Terrance Johnson »

i think its half and half on this one and it needs to stop cause i see that enough with my own people I love Asian women(foreign women as well) and they should be proud of who they are and where they came from it just goes to show Americas culture being a virus. As a black man in America, love the country HATE the culture and some things that's in it that needs to be destroyed but will only continue to grow and get worse. Maybe in the spiritual world things will be better more wholesome more complete instead of broken and cruel in this existence.
YourHusband
Freshman Poster

Re: Why are there so many self-hating Asian Americans????

Post by YourHusband »

Actually, even in america (and other western nations), most asian girls prefer asian guys; even the ones open to dating white guys would still prefer a top tier asian over just about any white guy. this is especially true for asians that tend to hang out with other asians. the few asian girls who SAY they only date white men tend to be the ones with low self-esteem and may be bitter that asian guys don't find them attractive. this partly explains why the asian girls you see with white men are usually not that good looking. remember that human nature has more to do with what we find attractive, and we're just naturally inclined to like our own race.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

zboy1 wrote: I ask the question because I see self-hatred as an epidemic in the Asian American community. I even know some Asian Americans (men and women) who completely denounce their race and heritage. The lack of pride in ones heritage and culture is very shocking to say the least. Is this common in other races as well?
To call these people who are self-hatred because of their Asian race 'Asian American community' is misleading.
It's not an epidemic, it's a small minority. Many Asians in USA are very successful.

All what I see in these videos are Americans who are of Chinese and Korean origin. These people in those TV-shows mentioned in youtube by the OP are well-known to complain wherever they go. It's about showtime and such performance seems to sell well.

I do not know anything like that about the Japanese-USA community or about the Thai-USA community, despite they are Asian Americans as well.

Asia is not only China mainland and Korea.

I can only say, if you are one of those Chinese/Korean Asian-American self-hatred people, you should not only blame others (the white guy etc.) but check out a little about yourself.
Chrissays
Freshman Poster

Post by Chrissays »

Just in CA and NY, for the most part. That BS doesn't exist in Asia or even in Hawaii.

PS this thread is 2 years old man..