Join John Adams Mon and Wed nights 7:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar!

Share This Page

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       Elegance Theme       Prosilver Theme

Trip report on returning back to the United States.

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Definitely a thread that I can relate to. Regular readers will know that I spent 10 months abroad last year (4 months China, 6 months Thailand, 1 week Malaysia).

I've been back in the UK for almost 6 months.

Good stuff in the UK:

Choice of food, and superior quality of food (especially compared with China). After living in China, I appreciate how important good food is to my life.
The economy is booming here - maybe the strongest economy in the world right now. If you want work, it's here.
After a false start, I have a really fantastic job.
Free healthcare.

Bad stuff:

So many migrants here now. Not so good if you're young and/or need entry level work. Immigration was a huge issue for the many working class Brits I talked to in Bangkok and Pattaya. Of course I was an immigrant in China and Thailand, but I never worked there, and neither was it as easy to find a job there (except for English teaching).
Work wears me down and I don't have much time for stuff like dating.
Our World Cup football team!

Differences I've noticed with myself:

I am definitely more confident.
I no longer care about "first world problems". I still rage sometimes, but mostly I walk away.
I live in a really noisy house, but I've picked up that Asian thing of not noticing/caring.
I'm starting to be able to sleep any time, any place. Also an Asian thing.
I'm better at handling a crisis.
I've bought hardly anything since I've been back, except for a new phone. I'm stockpiling cash for Xiongmao returns to Asia :roll:.
Having the balls to walk out of my last job was really character building. Everyone needs to do this at some point in their lives.
I have so many stories to entertain people with. It's kind of rare to meet somebody who's lived in China. I met some stupid people in Thailand (HA members excepted!) but the foreigners in China were VERY smart indeed.
Most of my friends I talk with most are people I met last year.

I would think that I have now achieved a compromise in life. I did want to go abroad for 5 years or more. Now I plan to work for 2-3 years, then when a job runs it's course, I'll go abroad until it's time to come home. Last year's spell in Thailand when I coded by day and did stupid stuff by night worked very well. Anyway, if anyone else has a career in which you can do this, then give it a go. It could be a better option than going down the English teaching route or trying to save every darned cent.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Winston wrote:Isn't is strange how when you go outside in America, you see so many guys who look depressed and hopeless, like they have nothing to live for and are running on fumes? And you see so many young women with spoiled, rotten, snobby looks on their faces that say "I'm too good to acknowledge your existence. Don't talk to me." and have bitchy antisocial vibes.

Yet you see so many immigrants want to come to America for "a better life" and you wonder WTF?!
Foreigners who wish to emigrate to the US get their perception of American life from Hollywood depictions of America. Hollywood is complete fantasy land, and the friendly, chipper, attractive, and thin Americans in the movies are not what lives here.

I have recently returned to the US myself and it is as sick (emotionally and physically) as ever.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Foreigners who wish to emigrate to the US get their perception of American life from Hollywood depictions of America. Hollywood is complete fantasy land, and the friendly, chipper, attractive, and thin Americans in the movies are not what lives here.

I have recently returned to the US myself and it is as sick (emotionally and physically) as ever.
Your right Contrarian Expatriate, Hollywood's portrayal of how things are in the US is a lie. In American made movies and TV shows, woman are shown to be friendly, flirtatious, easy to meet and date and easy to get into bed. In reality, NOTHING could be further from the truth.

Women in the US are cold, unfriendly, anti social, puritanical and difficult to meet.

In American made movies and TV shows, women are all beautiful and thin. In reality, most women in the US are either overweight or ugly (or both). :P

I wish for once, they would make a movie or a TV show which showed how things really are in the US. The propaganda that Hollywood is putting out is a complete lie. Every man that lives in the US knows that the Hollywood version of America is the exact opposite of how things REALLY are in the USA.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

My observations the first few days back in the USA:

JFK airport looks like a Third World Airport in comparison to modern airports in the Middle East and Asia; however, I do like how JFK has streamlined the immigration process using kiosks (which helps speed-up the line by a lot). But I see that DHS (Department of Homeland Security) fascists have now taken over the immigration personnel, so is that a good or bad thing? I think both the TSA and DHS should be abolished and privatized, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. ...

One thing I notice immediately: angry, smirking and unhappy Black employees. Why are African Americans so angry-looking in the States? I see happy, well-adjusted Blacks in Asia and Latin America, but the complete opposite in America. Hahaha...

I have to admit, I had a good experience at JFK airport, and was impressed at the politeness and the quick service I received from most of the airport employees I encountered there; this was probably the one time I can praise a US airport. (I would never fly an American airline, though).

I did notice how Whites and Blacks coming from Asia--changed their personalities--from being happy to looking stressed-out and bitchy when arriving in the USA.

NYC looks like it's becoming filled with only Third-World people! If I invited Cornfed to visit the city one day, I think he would have a heart-attack seeing all these non-Whites filling-up the city. LOL! I think White nationalists would have a heart-attack flying-in to NYC through JFK. Hahaha....

American's are disgustingly obese: it's a national disgrace. I even like the 'thick' Latina look, but too-much is too-much. Hahaha...I've already gained some pounds coming back from China, so it's gotta be something in the food supply that is making Americans so obese...?

The food in China isn't great either, but for some reason, I do lose weight. The food in China is often dirty and filled with oil and meat, but maybe it's because they don't have so much sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup in the food supply, that causes as much obesity in the United States?

The only women I find attractive in NYC are Latina's and Indian chicks (lots of Latin hotties here); Even though Asian American women are attractive--they make me sick and I will never date one again, and as for White women, I think they are okay. There are some sexy Black women in NY though--as long as their not too ghetto and nasty (which is rare, unfortunately).

One of the immediate things I notice coming back: the racial problems; I notice how racially segregated Americans really are...and how neighborhoods are all separated by race and class; there is no racial unity in the States. Everyone goes their separate ways, and neighbors hardly talk to each other--except by people of your own race or ethnicity.

There is an air of racial competition in the USA--where all the races seem obsessed with outdoing each other. I don't like that feeling...

Asian American women really make me sick--especially after being in contact with the more 'normal' Asian women in Asia. They are so 'white-washed' and desperate to 'fit-in' to White society, I just have to barf. Of course, there are gold-digging, White-washed women in Asia, too, but that kind of behavior is shunned to some extent over there....

Why are Blacks so violent and angry all the time in the States? No offense...but maybe because I'm around normal Blacks in Asia, I'm just so shocked to see such anger and hate from Black people in America.

It's the same with Latinos! My parents are telling me the whole neighborhood is having problems with the increased crime-rate bought upon the illegal aliens and Hispanic gangs causing a lot of problems around town including: gang fights, robberies and thefts.

White people are such racist d*cks in the States; just the other day, some White dude yelled out a racial slur to some Mexicans for some reason...(I didn't want to get involved in that sh*t).

It's also a shock to go from a majority Asian country--to got to a country that is controlled, for the most part, by Whites and Jews. To be honest, I'd rather go to a country that is majority Asian--as I feel more comfortable in my skin, and because White entitlement and privilege makes me uncomfortable here...

Asian men are still incredibly disrespected in the U.S. of Gay!: I see the mocking attitudes some people have towards us. Why would I want to come back to this?

The unemployment problem is really a national disgrace! Friends are telling me they know people who have been out-of-work for months and years now. Church members are telling me their children (recent college graduates) haven't been able to find any kind of employment for a while now, so they now stuck-at-home, with nothing to do and plenty of free-time on their hands....

What's with increased prices of everything? I've been gone for a year now, and I can see prices for goods have gone up noticeably since then...

I can see why short men have so many problems in the States!: Americans and Europeans are very tall, so a Black, Latino or White guy who is below 5'10 would feel inferior or inadequate compared to other men. Even as a tall Asian (5'10), I feel somewhat short here...amazingly.

Why do American men have to act so macho and tough here? it's so fake and stupid, yet...that is what the women want here. That's why America has so much violence and stupidity here...Hispanic cultures also have a problem with "machismo" among their men, so it's no surprise to see that in Latin America and the United States--Hispanics have such high crime rates...

Overall, I'm glad to come back to visit my family, but the more time I spend in the USA and NYC, the more I realize this part-of-the-word just isn't for me.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I already feel lonely and miss the social atmosphere of China and S. Korea. Hahaha...

I don't have too many friends in the States, so I'm stuck staying home...for the most part.

Also, there's too much cliquishness among people here...so it's hard to get involved with other people here.

Americans are so damn judgmental and like to mock other people for all kinds of things, such as the clothes someone is wearing, physical appearances, race, etc.

The news is very distressing: it makes you realize how f**k*d-up things are in the country.

I don't feel very safe walking around at night; in Asia, you can walk around at 4 in the morning--and never feel unsafe.

The positives of USA:

I don't want to completely bash the USA; there are some very positive things about the country.

1--I like how you can date inter-racially in the USA much easier than in Asia (where people are quite against-it and are very racist in general).

2--The wide range of different cuisines you can find in the USA, which easily surpasses that of any country in Asia.

3--Clothes are much cheaper than China (believe or not) and food is also cheaper here.

4--The US government doesn't block Internet sites like YouTube and Facebook, like the stupid Chinese government do.

5--Plenty of cable channels for your enjoyment

6--Many great universities in the USA

7--The USA is a very multicultural country, that allows you to make friends with from all over the world.

8--Lots of great restaurants to eat-in or take out.

9-Having a US passport is probably one of the greatest things in the world, because it allows you to travel to many countries--without a Visa or any kind of restrictions.

10--The Rule of Law is accepted here, unlike in China where corruption and chaos reigns; so if an employer screws with you--you can take them to court. (again, unlike China where your at the mercy of your employer.)

11--The Constitution is one of the greatest documents in human history (although it's been flushed-down the toilet by the idiot politicians in the White House and Congress).

12--The Clean air is definitely a relief, especially for someone coming back from polluted Asia.

13--The right to bear arms. The 2nd Amendment is great!

14--There are some nice Americans admittedly, even though I like to bash my own countrymen. Haha...

15--Asian culture is too restricted, superficial and very materialistic; American's are much free-thinking than Asians.

16--American individualism is a MUCH better system than the collectivist mindset of Asians.

17--The concept of "true-love" is non-existent among Asian females living in Asia; whereas, American women--even though most are horrible--actually believe in the concept.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

@zboy1,

Dude, I think that it's great China blocks YouTube and Facebook. Those are the main portals which spread much of Western dysfunction throughout the world.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Zboy, the inter-racial dating thing is by no means a positive. You yourself said it was a problem that Asian American men get shit on and Asian American women want to be White.

Nor is American individualism a positive either. Most people are just so stupid that promoting individualism just leads to disaster. Basically all the problems that HA complains about.

I'm living with a middle aged couple in Shanghai now and they seem very affectionate. People in general are more physically affectionate here, which is natural and healthy. That's why I speak out on homosexuality; it corrupts that innocence. I mean, I don't see people making out in public like crude Americans, but I've seen a lot more people holding hands, including the couple I'm living with.

I'm starting to suspect some nasty traits about Asian-American immigrants. For example, my uncle warned me before I left that I should watch out for organ harvesters. Actually being in Shanghai that pisses me off. Like you said zboy, I feel safer here than in New York. My mom's the same way. It's like, these are our family, our nation, our ancestors. Yet they just think the worst of them. Fuckin' imperialism man.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:@zboy1,

Dude, I think that it's great China blocks YouTube and Facebook. Those are the main portals which spread much of Western dysfunction throughout the world.
+1

Web restrictions will be damned inconvenient for me if I go there, but at least they retain a shred of sovereignty by keeping out some of the cultural pestilence.

Hard to blame the commissars for that.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Since coming back...I've already gained some weight. LOL! For some reason, the food in the USA is so fatty and unhealthy, that it's hard to keep the weight off. ...

Americans are disgustingly obese...so much so, that one wonders how anyone can stay in shape in the country.

I really want to head back to Asia now; you never realize how effed-up the USA is...until you've been in a part-of-the-world where you really feel alive--like I do in Asia.

The number one thing about USA (and most Western countries) you notice right away: unfriendly neighbors and cliquish social groups. Also, people are incredibly racist with each other: there is no unity in the culture here....Everyone is divided in America: either racially, culturally, politically or socially. It's sad. ...

Also, the environment makes you very racist: I guess I've posted too many racial topics, but that's because of the intense racism in the country.

In the USA, you need a car to get to anywhere; public transportation is complete crap here. ...

The news always pumps out negative and depressing news; plus, the constant propaganda from CNN, MSNBC and Fox News is really ridiculous! The constant pro-Israel and anti-Russian propaganda the mainstream media like to pump-out, is not only cynical but dangerous as well!

Why are American females so unfriendly and give-off such a nasty vibe? It's truly unbelievable. ...

American's are so violent! LOL. Why is it Americans are so brutal with each other? In Asia, violence is so rare but in the USA, it's so commonplace. Why?

Asian Americans are a disgrace! You realize how self-hating there are...after you've been in contact with genuine Asians living in Asia. Also, Asian American females are so loathsome and disgusting in their behavior, that you wonder why people find them so attractive? It's better to get the genuine Asian females in Asia rather than Asian American females, in my opinion.
Amaziah
Freshman Poster

Re: Trip report on returning back to the United States.

Post by Amaziah »

That is a good way to make others aware of the thing which does matter for all at every cost because at the end it can be a lot that is fine enough for me and keeps it all decent in a lot of manners because of many things and surely that is fine enough.
For me the most reasonable source of traveling is kissimmee to boca raton transportation and i find it useful every time.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Re:

Post by Mercury »

MrMark1972 wrote:
June 26th, 2014, 9:37 am
To the OP...I feel for you man.I cant wait to get away from Canada...same shit as the US of Gay...As one BM said in a post "All we do in North America is work,talk about work,sit in traffic or shop at the mall....And as Winston pointed out many times,if you complain of lonliness and sexual unfullfillment then you are seen as a loser.
In a growing number of areas in the United States, if you complain of loneliness, you are now seen as a massacre suspect or a "ticking time bomb," another massacre, homicide, kidnapping, yes, even a terrorist act about to happen. And complain about sexual unfulfillment in America, and you are now seen as even a serial rapist, sex predator, even a registered sex offender and/or pedophile. Today in many areas of America, complaining about sexual unfulfillment in and of itself is now considered felony sexual harassment.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Re:

Post by Mercury »

Winston wrote:
June 25th, 2014, 11:18 pm
Isn't is strange how when you go outside in America, you see so many guys who look depressed and hopeless, like they have nothing to live for and are running on fumes? And you see so many young women with spoiled, rotten, snobby looks on their faces that say "I'm too good to acknowledge your existence. Don't talk to me." and have bitchy antisocial vibes.

Yet you see so many immigrants want to come to America for "a better life" and you wonder WTF?!
The scary thing too is that more and more of those guys are breaking and are committing mass shootings. When you continue to chip away at a structure's foundation, eventually it will collapse. Like cocaine, America's toxic, soulless, anti social culture can turn otherwise nice guys into violent killers. I wonder how long it will be before so many of these mass shootings take place that those young women with spoiled, rotten, and snobby looks on their faces that say "I'm too good to acknowledge your existance. Don't talk to me. Go away before I call the police." discover that they have brought on the mass murders themselves and have made monsters out of the men they coldly rejected. But by then, I can also imagine that American women themselves will be carrying guns and will start shooting and killing every man they don't like and then using "Stand Your Ground" to defend their actions. And then for guys, approaching within the length of a football field of an American woman is like playing with a bomb, and approaching within eyesight of an American woman will get a man shot and killed for sure.
cheesesweat
Freshman Poster

Re: Re:

Post by cheesesweat »

Mercury wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 1:00 pm
Winston wrote:
June 25th, 2014, 11:18 pm
Isn't is strange how when you go outside in America, you see so many guys who look depressed and hopeless, like they have nothing to live for and are running on fumes? And you see so many young women with spoiled, rotten, snobby looks on their faces that say "I'm too good to acknowledge your existence. Don't talk to me." and have bitchy antisocial vibes.

The scary thing too is that more and more of those guys are breaking and are committing mass shootings. When you continue to chip away at a structure's foundation, eventually it will collapse. Like cocaine, America's toxic, soulless, anti social culture can turn otherwise nice guys into violent killers. I wonder how long it will be before so many of these mass shootings take place that those young women with spoiled, rotten, and snobby looks on their faces that say "I'm too good to acknowledge your existance. Don't talk to me. Go away before I call the police." discover that they have brought on the mass murders themselves and have made monsters out of the men they coldly rejected. But by then, I can also imagine that American women themselves will be carrying guns and will start shooting and killing every man they don't like and then using "Stand Your Ground" to defend their actions. And then for guys, approaching within the length of a football field of an American woman is like playing with a bomb, and approaching within eyesight of an American woman will get a man shot and killed for sure.
Funny, I was just going to say that about all the mass shootings. There's some guys in America that are so damn miserable, they are probably just about to snap. Some snap and kill themselves. Others check out and just live on the street homeless, giving up on work and society. And others want to kill a bunch of people before they go down. It's unbelievable how bad things are in America these days. I was reading some Reddit posts to pass time. Twenty to thirty something year old dudes are MISERABLE right now. It's only gonna get worse too.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »

And you people are right about the racism. It's gotten so much worse, it's sick. Americans have become so spoiled and hateful that they call black Americans "apes," "chimpanzees," "feral animals," Americans have literally reduced the black population to something non-human and have been doing so since 2010.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

Mercury wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 11:39 pm
And you people are right about the racism. It's gotten so much worse, it's sick. Americans have become so spoiled and hateful that they call black Americans "apes," "chimpanzees," "feral animals," Americans have literally reduced the black population to something non-human and have been doing so since 2010.
No, that's just Cornfed.