All other languages suck - English should be made the official language

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

All other languages suck - English should be made the official language

Post by TruthSeeker »

All other languages suck - English should be made the official language of the world.

German sucks, French sucks, Italian sucks, Russian sucks, Spanish sucks. God invented English and it should be made the official language of the world and all other languages abolished. You could do this gradually by offering mandatory English courses in schools worldwide then gradually abolish all other languages. There is no point to having other languages. English is used Internationally for business purposes and for communicating between different nationalities. There is no point to these other languages. Chinese is horrible too.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: All other languages suck - English should be made the official language

Post by Cornfed »

To some extent English is the official language of the world.
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

TruthSeeker wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 2:44 pm
All other languages suck - English should be made the official language of the world.

German sucks, French sucks, Italian sucks, Russian sucks, Spanish sucks. God invented English and it should be made the official language of the world and all other languages abolished. You could do this gradually by offering mandatory English courses in schools worldwide then gradually abolish all other languages. There is no point to having other languages. English is used Internationally for business purposes and for communicating between different nationalities. There is no point to these other languages. Chinese is horrible too.
UTF encoding sucks as well. The entire world should be required to only use ASCII.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

TruthSeeker wrote:

I think use of English contributes to the push for gender equality in the Anglosphere. Anyone who speaks Russian, Spanish, French and other gender-based languages, knows that the delineation of male and female in those languages is rigidly maintained. This delineation reinforces the distinct cultural roles of men and women. English obliterates that delineation.

40 years ago English had but a light delineation (hero/heroine, actor/actress, etc) but it has slowly withered away.

There is nothing more satisfying for me than to address a girl as devushka (girl) in Russian and she is delighted to oblige. Try that in English and you'd lambasted at best and beaten up at worst.

English is indeed useful for travel, but I try to speak it as little as possible when abroad to shed the gender equality mentality that it implies.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 4:52 pm
I think use of English contributes to the push for gender equality in the Anglosphere. Anyone who speaks Russian, Spanish, French and other gender-based languages, knows that the delineation of male and female in those languages is rigidly maintained. This delineation reinforces the distinct cultural roles of men and women. English obliterates that delineation.

40 years ago English had but a light delineation (hero/heroine, actor/actress, etc) but it has slowly withered away.

There is nothing more satisfying for me than to address a girl as devushka (girl) in Russian and she is delighted to oblige. Try that in English and you'd lambasted at best and beaten up at worst.

English is indeed useful for travel, but I try to speak it as little as possible when abroad to shed the gender equality mentality that it implies.
That sounds like the Sapir-Wharf hypothesis applied to gender issues. Maybe there is something to it, but I hear there is some feminism among some of the Spanish speakers in Latin America, so feminine gender endings is not strong enough to insulate a culture from feminist thinking. It still 'irks' me that they were able to get academia to accept feminist Newspeak and drop the generic 'he' in formal writing and replace it with the awkward 'he or she', or even worse, just 'she' in some cases.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

What? You can address a girl as 'girl' in English with no problem. "You go girl!", "Girl that outfit looks great on you!" i don't think you'll be lambasted.

My point is it all started with one language till God confounded that one language at Babel (Gen. 11).

So yeah, English is already the world's official language. I am just saying eliminate the other ones because there is no point to them.

As to those terms, actress, waitress, etc. I still use them and refuse to conform to "gender equality" because we are not equal. We are different.
Last edited by TruthSeeker on October 25th, 2018, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

TruthSeeker wrote:

Everyone speaking English is great for us native speakers, and I can understand your frustration if you've been travelling and other people do not speak it. But if you go abroad, and everyone speaks English, that takes away a bit of the danger and the thrill a little, doesn't it? I'd forgotten about that after living in Indonesia and learning the language, then going to Thailand. I remembered what it was like not to be able to communicate.

English is pretty rough to learn. Our spelling system is awful. Look at 'through' and 'rough'-- spelled with the same ending and pronounced differently. Neither of them has a 'g' sound in them. It's really messed up. And some of our sounds are difficult for speakers of other languages, 'th', voiced or unvoiced is difficult for a lot of people. It's not as difficult as Arabic. But there are easier languages.

I could make a good case for Indonesian being an international language. Verbs aren't inflected for verbs. Just add a word in front of it to make it past, another word to make it continuous, and another word ot make it future. The spelling system is almost letter-for-sound, with 'e' serving as both an 'e' sound and a schwa sound. Other than that, it's pretty much phonetic. I can only think of one word that doesn't fit the pattern other than the problem with 'e'. Repeat a word to make it plural. Sounds are pretty easy, pretty much the same as Spanish with a 'sh' sound, spelled 'sy' for some loan words.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

TruthSeeker wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 7:53 pm
What? You can address a girl as 'girl' in English with no problem. "You go girl!", "Girl that outfit looks great on you!" i don't think you'll be lambasted.
Next time you want to get a waitress’s attention, call out “girl!” and see what happens. Next time you walk up to a middle aged cashier, say, “Good morning girl,” and see what happens. Both would be normal common courtesy in Russian, but seen as sexist and condescending in English. If those nuances aren’t clear to you, I see why you are an advocate for English only.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

Look, I'm not going to get into semantics with you. It's quite common in the West for females to call each other 'girl' and guys can call females 'girl' too if it's done in the right way. This is not something special and unique to Russians.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

TruthSeeker wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 12:58 am
Look, I'm not going to get into semantics with you. It's quite common in the West for females to call each other 'girl' and guys can call females 'girl' too if it's done in the right way. This is not something special and unique to Russians.
The fact that you aren't able to glean the contextual nuances between a word used as part of outdated vernacular and the same word used as a form of formal address means that language aptitude might not be your forte.