Should I start a free dating site?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Should I start a free dating site?

Post by Winston »

After noticing the success of the free dating site dateinasia.com, I was wondering, should I start a free ad sponsored dating site too? Everyone loves something free, and we have a regular visitor/traffic base for this site already, which could be a good launching point toward starting a new dating site. I'd have to invest in some advertising to get new visitors of course. There are people who sell software packages for creating a dating site, even on Ebay there are many. I could just get one of those.

What do you all think?

What would be a good domain name though? How about these?

datingworld.com
datingglobally.com
dateglobal.com
dateglobally.com
date4free.com
free-dating.com
date-international.com
dateacrossborders.com
dateinrussia.com

Any other ideas?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Another possibility is "globaldating.com."
rome86
Freshman Poster

Post by rome86 »

why not ? it should be fun is it gonna be profitable ? let me know when it is ready.
hello
wuxi
Freshman Poster

Post by wuxi »

The guy that started "Plenty of Fish" makes $10,000 a day!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

wuxi wrote:The guy that started "Plenty of Fish" makes $10,000 a day!

That's hard to believe. I don't see how running ads on a free site can make you $10,000. That's insane and way out of proportion. Plus dating ads don't pay that much anyway.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
wuxi
Freshman Poster

Post by wuxi »

His income isn't from dating ads its all from the google hyperlink he has on his website, big corporate sponsorship is where its at. It probably doesn't cost google anything to pay him, they just write it off as a business expense or a "charitable donation" since his website is free(non-profit).
walrusface
Freshman Poster

Post by walrusface »

I think it would be a great idea. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, I'm always a bit dubious about spending money on dating sites. Are there any other free sites other than the dateinasia one?
Politically incorrect comics at www.minds.com/SlapdashComix
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

walrusface wrote:I think it would be a great idea. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, I'm always a bit dubious about spending money on dating sites. Are there any other free sites other than the dateinasia one?
Sure, there's:

http://www.plentyoffish.com
http://www.tagged.com

walrusface
Freshman Poster

Post by walrusface »

Yeah, Winston I've been on Plenty of Fish for years, not that it ever did much good lol.
But I was thinking about a more international based one. One like Date in Asia, but in Eastern Europe etc. But after searching around on google I can't really see much decent free stuff.
Politically incorrect comics at www.minds.com/SlapdashComix
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

walrusface wrote:Yeah, Winston I've been on Plenty of Fish for years, not that it ever did much good lol.
But I was thinking about a more international based one. One like Date in Asia, but in Eastern Europe etc. But after searching around on google I can't really see much decent free stuff.
Per bold, yeah man, PlentyOfShit.com, OKStupid.com, Fagged.com, WackPlanet.com,MiGayne-tay.com, AsianAveOfFools.com are all free sites that harbor basura trash.
But now I'm even hearing that the same people on paid dating sites like eHarmony and Match are transcending their a_rses over to the aforementioned free sites.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

Make sure it is scammer-free, of course.

Moreover, make sure the wrong sorts of people don't post profiles. We have enough free dating sites replete with dysfunctional single mothers.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

walrusface wrote:Yeah, Winston I've been on Plenty of Fish for years, not that it ever did much good lol.
I was just thinking of that too. I was thinking that with DateinAsia's success, I could start something like DateinEurope and model it off the same concept and software template. DIA has so much traffic, that it must be making several thousand dollars a month at least, from Adsense. So I was thinking of starting a DateinEurope.

However, there doesn't seem to be many dating sites focused on Europe. Even Cupid Media, which has a long list of different dating sites, only has dating sites targeting Asia, Russia, and Latin America, but not Europe for some reason. There must be a reason why. Maybe there's no market there because the people there don't like to use dating sites, since they have no trouble finding dates in person?

What do you all think?

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Here's my .5 cents worth. I'm a programmer, so don't think I haven't considered this idea myself!

I talked to an owner of a well know foreign dating site, and they impressed on me the trouble involved in running such a site. Problems include getting people to pay for subscriptions, and keeping the scammers off.

While a free dating site won't have subscription woes, remember that bandwidth for storing profile photos can be quite significant. Yes PlentyOFish man makes a lot of money, but his hosting expenses will be pretty huge.

As to scammers, well if people want to send their life savings to people who they've never met, then that's their problem. But you might find that the quality of member you get is generally rubbish, and building critical mass is hard, hard work. I don't know who the free site would benefit either. Women can sign up to most sites free. And which woman wants to date a man who can't afford $30 a month for a dating site? Besides, men on free dating sites don't get so much interest, because they're swamped amongst the men seeking free webcam shows etc. etc..

DateInAsia gets gigantic traffic, and I wished I'd started it! However, you'll find that 80% of the users are probably Filipinas seeking husbands/men to send them money, and advertisers aren't so interested in this demographic.

Besides, the quality of contact I've had on DateInAsia has been pathetic compared to CLL/CLM.

As to Europe, Plenty of Fish is massive in the UK. I don't know about Eastern Europe, but there's no shortage of places like Elena's, Russian Cupid etc. They're not free but the Russian dating business isn't as large as you might think.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Is that why DIA only lets you post one photo, because of bandwidth costs?

I heard that Bluehost gives you unlimited bandwidth space for $7 a month though? Did I misunderstand something?

Why is DIA so successful? There must be a reason. Yes the difficult part would be getting people to join at first, even if it's free. No one is going to join a free dating site with no members.

Don't you have to create a lot of fake profiles in the beginning? lol Is that the only way?

Then after that, you can use Adwords to promote it of course, which would require an investment. I'm sure all dating sites started out by promoting itself through Adwords.

Btw, why are you so cynical about DIA? I've talked to many Filipinas on there and only one asked me for money. So it's not that common. They have strict policies against that kind of stuff, and the scammers have long since been weeded out.
Last edited by Winston on January 5th, 2012, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dogboy86
Freshman Poster

Post by Dogboy86 »

"Why is DIA so successful?"

Well night or day there are a ton of semi hot skinny little Asian girls that can't wait to talk with the next love of their young life, and its free... :)
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"!!!