Gluten-free diet could damage health of people study shows

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Gluten-free diet could damage health of people study shows

Post by jamesbond »

Gluten-free diets could be damaging to the health of people who do not have coeliac disease, raising the risk of obesity, diabetes and malnutrition, an expert has warned.

The diet, which excludes all food containing grains like wheat, barley and rye, such as bread and pasta, have been popularised by celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow who claims cutting out gluten boosts health and aids weight loss.

But writing in the Journal of Pediatrics, Dr Norelle Reilly, of Columbia University Medical Centre, in New York, warned that gluten-free alternatives were often loaded with fat and sugar and lacked nutrients.

“There is no evidence that processed gluten free foods are healthier nor have there been proven health or nutritional benefits of a gluten free diet. Gluten free packaged foods frequently contain a greater density of fat and sugar than their gluten-containing counterparts."

"Obesity, overweight and new-onset insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome have been identified after initiation of a gluten-free diet."

“It also may lead to deficiencies in B vitamins, folate, and iron, given a lack of nutrient fortification of many gluten-free products.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016 ... coeliac-d/
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Gluten-free diet could damage health of people study shows

Post by Winston »

What should you believe? Establishment sites claim gluten is good for you, while independent rebel anti-convention sites say it's bad for you. Who should you believe? Any of you have experiences?

Isn't vegetarian mock meat, like garden burgers and mock meat, composed of gluten too? Is that what's making me fat even when I don't eat much? Or is something messing up my metabolism? Or is the universe doing this to me to keep girls away as part of my curse and victimization? lol

Sites that are pro gluten:

https://www.thisisinsider.com/what-is-g ... bad-2018-3

https://gluten.org/resources/getting-st ... and-myths/ (seems biased lol)

https://gluten.org/resources/getting-st ... -problems/

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/gluten-my ... d=23645211

However, I'm not sure how much you should trust these establishment sources. They cannot even explain the cause of rising obesity in America or rising cancer rates, or why people before modern society didn't need to go to the gym or exercise, etc. So their credibility isn't very good at all. Yet they expect us to listen to them? Wtf? Only establishment worshippers like @momopi and @HouseMD worship the establishment and kiss their butt. Not freethinkers or critical thinkers.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I don’t have Celiac disease so gluten is non-factor to me. However I do have Hyperglycemia and use glucose meter daily. It’s not hard, I just poke myself before and after eating certain foods and check the results. I tolerate chocolate fairly well, but not those so called zero net carbs bars, and grapes will send my blood sugar level up like a rocket.

Whatever anyone else says or claims is simply not as accurate as me eating it and measuring the results. I don't bother worrying about the "why" -- it's out of scope. My only objective is to compile a list of foods and impact to my blood sugar level for dietary reference. Once this has been accomplished I move on to the next objective. This way I don't over-think or end up getting sidetracked and spend days, weeks, months, or years on it.
Last edited by momopi on October 24th, 2018, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Winston wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 7:02 pm
What should you believe? Establishment sites claim gluten is good for you, while independent rebel anti-convention sites say it's bad for you. Who should you believe? Any of you have experiences?

Isn't vegetarian mock meat, like garden burgers and mock meat, composed of gluten too? Is that what's making me fat even when I don't eat much? Or is something messing up my metabolism? Or is the universe doing this to me to keep girls away as part of my curse and victimization? lol

Sites that are pro gluten:

https://www.thisisinsider.com/what-is-g ... bad-2018-3

https://gluten.org/resources/getting-st ... and-myths/ (seems biased lol)

https://gluten.org/resources/getting-st ... -problems/

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/gluten-my ... d=23645211

However, I'm not sure how much you should trust these establishment sources. They cannot even explain the cause of rising obesity in America or rising cancer rates, or why people before modern society didn't need to go to the gym or exercise, etc. So their credibility isn't very good at all. Yet they expect us to listen to them? Wtf? Only establishment worshippers like @momopi and @HouseMD worship the establishment and kiss their butt. Not freethinkers or critical thinkers.
The cause of rising obesity is processed food and added sugar, plain and simple. Gluten isn't a problem for most people, though it is a problem for some. It all depends on your immune system and the way your body recognizes gluten. The same goes for everything from fruits to milk, however, and you don't see people saying no one should eat apples because of people with IgA reactions to fruit or that everyone should avoid milk entirely because a small number of people happen to be allergic.

People before modern times didn't need to exercise because their jobs were far more physical on average, their food was less calorie dense, and they had lower food consumption overall.

I hardly worship the establishment. I draw my own conclusions based upon analysis of all available data. You aren't a "free-thinker," you're a reactionary that takes the default position that all accepted data is wrong until proven otherwise. That isn't being a free thinker, that is taking a position without evidence and then failing to accept any evidence that agrees with your ignorant original stance. You don't do any of your own research, you don't conduct your own studies, you don't do anything but pull things out of your *** and listen to snake oil salesmen that are out to sell you the "one product that THEY don't want you to know about." You're not a free-thinker, you're gullible as all hell and the sort of guy that is ripe for exploitation by any and everyone claiming they know some "ancient secret" or "natural cure." There's plenty of mainstream medicine and science that I'm very, very skeptical of. Chemical and agriculture companies are generally the ones that draw the most of my ire, as I actually understand organic chemistry and medicine and knowing the chemical structure and property of various "safe" chemicals that have never been tested (as chemicals DO NOT REQUIRE TESTING BEFORE USE IN THE UNITED STATES) can tell you that a whole hell of a lot of them are dangerous.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

HouseMD wrote:
October 23rd, 2018, 6:41 pm

I hardly worship the establishment. I draw my own conclusions based upon analysis of all available data. You aren't a "free-thinker," you're a reactionary that takes the default position that all accepted data is wrong until proven otherwise. That isn't being a free thinker, that is taking a position without evidence and then failing to accept any evidence that agrees with your ignorant original stance. You don't do any of your own research, you don't conduct your own studies, you don't do anything but pull things out of your *** and listen to snake oil salesmen that are out to sell you the "one product that THEY don't want you to know about." You're not a free-thinker, you're gullible as all hell and the sort of guy that is ripe for exploitation by any and everyone claiming they know some "ancient secret" or "natural cure." There's plenty of mainstream medicine and science that I'm very, very skeptical of. Chemical and agriculture companies are generally the ones that draw the most of my ire, as I actually understand organic chemistry and medicine and knowing the chemical structure and property of various "safe" chemicals that have never been tested (as chemicals DO NOT REQUIRE TESTING BEFORE USE IN THE UNITED STATES) can tell you that a whole hell of a lot of them are dangerous.
The issue is not him parroting whatever he reads on alt sites. It’s that he’s all over the map. For example:

viewtopic.php?p=317341#p317341

When we reply to posts on gluten, microwaves, elephants/squirrels and cancer, we are contributing to sidetracking him costing days, weeks, months, years of his time.