Study Abroad program?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Study Abroad program?

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

I have been trying to apply for a Russian Languages Study Abroad program in Kiev, Ukraine, but... Here is the email that the woman sent me I have been working with from the district office for my College district:
Kameron,

I wanted to let you know that I spoke with Ms. Alexa Boyce this morning from AmeriSpan. I asked her to give me some information on the Kiev Russian Language program you’re interested in. What she explained to me was that that program does not offer academic credit. What that means is that you are not required to register through Alamo Colleges for this specific program. This would be a program that you would do individually. The program is available for a semester or 16 weeks. The only problem with that, is that they don’t provide academic credit for this program.

She did say that they have two other schools that they work with which do give you academic credit. The program fee for that is slightly higher than the Kiev program. The Kiev program would cost you around $5,370 for program fees and housing with host family. The other two program programs fees are the following:

Moscow, Russia would be for a semester with host family around $12,865

St. Petersburg, Russia, would be for a semester with host family around $12,130.

With the Moscow and St. Petersburg programs you would register through Alamo Colleges and also get the academic credits of 15-17 credits in the Russian language. Below is the link to program information on the Moscow and St. Petersburg programs. Please review them and let me know what you would like to do. This will be a decision that you will have to make.

Should I do the program in Moscow, or St. Petersburg?
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
Truthville
Freshman Poster

Post by Truthville »

Hero,

I have quite a bit of a problem with those numbers! I work for a private college. This college is kind of on the high side for tuition. I believe it it currently 33,000 a year IF you live on campus. 12,000+ for one semester/class seems outrageous to me!

That being said, this college offers study aboard programs. They mostly go to South American countries. They have one every other year that goes to Egypt. They even have a teach English type trip to Thailand which I'm thinking about looking into.

The study abroad trips, which count as college credit, are in the 3-5,000 dollar range I believe. 3 months in Russia for 12000? 4000 dollars a month!?

IF it's about putting this class/trip on Federal student loans, I can see why you MIGHT do that. I wouldn't recommend it. IF you are going to be paying your own cash, I would say better to learn some Russian, and take the trip yourself. IF you aren't even thinking of getting a degree pertaining to Russia, Russian language, or culture/literature, then why waste the money?

Also remember that IF you go as a class group, OR stay with a family, your freedom to go where you want to go and do want you want to do WILL be severely limited.

I'm not a Russian expert by any means, BUT I would think St. Petersburg would be better than Moscow.

Just my 2 cents!
"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: "I am a wretchedly longstanding victim;therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition."

"It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised."
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

I second Truthville! Usually those programs are around 3-4,000 per semester. 12,000 seems to be way too high!

St. Petersburg is hands-down better choice! Moscow is too big, too expensive, too dirty, too overcrowded. St. Petersburg is very historic, less expensive and less crowded. Also girls will be a bit more relaxed in St. Petersburg because Moscow is a very tense city.

Otherwise, in my college there were programs for city of Vladimir, just few hours from Moscow. I would totally go for it! In smaller cities you as a foreigner will be treated much better, you will also get more unique perspective on deeper Russian lifestyle, more authentic so to speak. Girls will be less stuck up etc. Just google other universities exchange programs. For example:
http://abroad.ad.uky.edu/index.cfm?Fuse ... =O&sType=O

There are also exchange programs for Kiev, Ukraine and Baltic states - those should be very fun too and far less expensive to live there than Moscow.
abroaduni
Freshman Poster

canadian immigration

Post by abroaduni »

Hi,
I am also looking for studying MBA abroad and searching some good universities for that.As you are going abroad for studying foreign languages.So,Do you have any idea about good universities MBA programs?

I would be very grateful.....

canadian immigration