Myths about diet and exercise

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Winston
Site Admin

Myths about diet and exercise

Post by Winston »

Check this out. This BBC documentary about weight loss and dieting concluded after doing scientific studies that:

- Lean protein makes you less hungry and fills you up longer, whereas fatty foods and carbohydrates keep you hungry more.
- Low fat dairy products make you excrete more fat, and does not make you fatter, contrary to myth.
- Metabolism rate is a myth. People get fat because of what they eat, not because of their metabolism rate.
- Low calorie soups keep you feeling full longer than solid foods do.

What do you think? Is that shocking?

Here are the parts of the BBC documentary that explains this:

Last edited by Winston on October 17th, 2012, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Why Are Thin People Not Fat (Full BBC Documentary)

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Simoun
Freshman Poster

Post by Simoun »

Winston, I'm telling you, if you want to lose weight you have to exercise. Forget the diet equation. A marathoner once said if you run 100 miles a week you can eat whatever the hell you want. Yes, initially your body will hate the pain, but then the endorphins kick in and you'll become addicted. Try some low impact exercises first - that mountain 3-4 miles away, walk to it and then walk home. Your legs will be sore, but your body will be happy. Then mix it up with some biking, some treadmill, some slow jogs.

Yes, I think some of those diet tips are true, but they won't mean anything if you don't include exercise in the mix.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

Winston, I've told you this before, the ONLY way to lose weight is to control insulin levels; end of discussion. Carbohydrates are what make people fat, so by eliminating carbs and eating FAT (yes, your calories must come from fat), you will drop weight quickly.

The quickest weight loss I ever had (but it was a dangerous way to lose) was from eating a diet of 100% fat; nothing but three cups of coffee a day with a third a stick of butter in each. I lost about a pound a day and I know it was fat since I lost one inch off my waist after only five days.

The BBC is wrong on this one, as are all the people who tell you that the key is to "just exercise". What they forget is that fat people already do more exercise than the average person; simply moving around uses more energy when you weigh 250 pounds than if you weigh 150 pounds. All excess exercise does is cause you to become a bag of bones with no muscle mass.

Conclusion: stop eating carbs and get on a high fat/moderate protein diet.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

A high protein, low fat diet is apparently what some countries feed to political prisoners in order to cause them to die while looking superficially healthy. If figures that the Western ZOGs would recommend such a diet. Being healthy and in shape for most people is simple. A paleo diet consisting of mostly animal protein and fat, weight training and some high intensity aerobics such as walking up hills. Easy.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well the BBC documentary made a good point about protein. A Russian girl told me once that all the vegetarians she knew were fat because they were protein deprived, which caused them to eat more, esp carbohydrates. So what she said confirmed what the BBC said about protein keeping you full longer. Isn't that true?

It also said that the "fast metabolism" assumption is a myth and that the truth is the opposite, because fat people actually have a faster metabolism because they have to burn more fat to walk everyday.

Here is a BBC documentary that claims to dispel some myths about exercise. Let me know what you think.

BBC - The Truth About Exercise

AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

Winston wrote:Well the BBC documentary made a good point about protein. A Russian girl told me once that all the vegetarians she knew were fat because they were protein deprived, which caused them to eat more, esp carbohydrates. So what she said confirmed what the BBC said about protein keeping you full longer. Isn't that true?
Protein is overrated in the fat loss equation. The thing about protein is that it also can stall weight loss since protein causes insulin release too. The only macronutrient which does not cause an insulin release is fat. Regarding protein "keeping you full longer", if you stop eating carbs that is a moot point, since you never feel hungry on a high-fat diet.

If you do want to lose fat extremely fast (I'm talking a pound a day) simply eat a diet that is 100% fat. No carbs, no protein. You will lose fat very rapidly since without both carbs and protein, there is no insulin being released. Insulin is not only the fat storage hormone, it's also the fat release hormone; high levels of insulin in the bloodstream will prevent your body from using its stored fat reserves as energy. The only thing about this method is that it should not be done for a very long time since due to its lack of protein it's not healthy.

If you want to lose at a more moderate rate which includes protein, a ratio of about 4 fat grams to every protein gram will help you lose weight at a more moderate rate, but still cruising along (maybe a half a pound of fat a day).
Winston wrote:It also said that the "fast metabolism" assumption is a myth and that the truth is the opposite, because fat people actually have a faster metabolism because they have to burn more fat to walk everyday.
That's exactly what I said in my reply above. The fatter you are the more "exercise" you do just by moving. All these self-righteous marathon runners who tell people to "just exercise" are doing less exercise in 26 miles of running than a morbidly obese person does in a normal day of moving around. Exercise is NOT the answer for fat loss.
Cornfed wrote:A high protein, low fat diet is apparently what some countries feed to political prisoners in order to cause them to die while looking superficially healthy. If figures that the Western ZOGs would recommend such a diet. Being healthy and in shape for most people is simple. A paleo diet consisting of mostly animal protein and fat, weight training and some high intensity aerobics such as walking up hills. Easy.
Cornfed makes a good point about diets being high-protein/low-fat. The end result is known as "rabbit starvation" which is what the fur traders ended up with when they ran out of fatty game and were resorted to eating rabbits, which are very low in fat. The diet MUST be high in fat and MODERATE (not high) in protein in order to lose weight and stay healthy. Once again, protein is overrated in the fat-loss equation; it is important but should not make up the majority of your caloric intake.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this BBC documentary about the Atkins low carb high protein diet. It concluded that it is highly effective and that there is no scientific evidence that it is harmful, like mainstream nutritionists think it is. It also said that the reason it works is because protein keeps you feeling full longer, whereas carbohydrates makes you hungry more often. If that's so, then that might explain why I am fat. Maybe I don't get enough protein so I'm always hungry for carbs? A girl told me that all the vegetarians she knew were fat for this reason. What do you think?

Here is the BBC documentary which is very favorable to the Atkins Diet.

Part 1 of 5

The Biography Channel did a story about Dr. Atkins too. It said that science had vindicated him.

Part 1 of 5

Is it possible for a vegetarian to do a low carb diet or Atkins Diet? Check out these sites about that.

http://lowcarbvegetarian.blogspot.com

http://www.livestrong.com/article/89862 ... getarians/

http://www.ehow.com/how_8646_dr-atkins-diet.html

http://www.atkins-diet-advisor.com/vege ... -diet.html

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Overview/ ... arian.aspx

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Winston wrote:Well the BBC documentary made a good point about protein. A Russian girl told me once that all the vegetarians she knew were fat because they were protein deprived, which caused them to eat more, esp carbohydrates. So what she said confirmed what the BBC said about protein keeping you full longer. Isn't that true?

It also said that the "fast metabolism" assumption is a myth and that the truth is the opposite, because fat people actually have a faster metabolism because they have to burn more fat to walk everyday.

Here is a BBC documentary that claims to dispel some myths about exercise. Let me know what you think.

BBC - The Truth About Exercise

The BBC documentary about exercise above said that exercise to burn calories is a myth and that it is inefficient for burning calories. For example, to burn off the calories in a muffin and cappuccino, you'd have to jog for a whole hour! That's hardly efficient for burning calories. It said that exercise just keeps you in shape, but it's not effective to burn off calories.

What do you all think?

Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Winston wrote: The BBC documentary about exercise above said that exercise to burn calories is a myth and that it is inefficient for burning calories. For example, to burn off the calories in a muffin and cappuccino, you'd have to jog for a whole hour! That's hardly efficient for burning calories. It said that exercise just keeps you in shape, but it's not effective to burn off calories.
It's true that most people aren't fit enough to burn many calories through exercise, so in order to lose lots of fat, most people will need to also significantly reduce the total amount calories they eat. However, it also depends on the time you do aerobic exercise. If you do cardio in the morning before you've eaten anything or right after your weight workout, you will burn much, much more fat (because your body has little energy from carbs).

Winston, you should try walking for 45 minutes every morning before breakfast for a month and see what happens!

And "exercise" in these articles, I assume means cardio. Lifting weights is different. If you gain some muscle, you will burn more calories even when you are resting. So don't confuse the two types of exercise because they do very different things to your body.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

the truth be told yes...fat is gained by what you eat. but it is minimal compared to how your emotions effect your body.

you see... any emotions you insulate will produce more and more fat. the more you insulate your emotions the fatter you get.

for example...

obese people are overweight because they have been through sexual abuse. not because of eating all the time. but because they insulate, meaning stack-up, their emotions on the inside. they keep it inward. instead of releasing it. so the emotion of sexual abuse will stack up lots and lots of fat.

these are the people that have been sexually abused as a result are obese....

MARLON BRANDO

KRISTIE ALLEY

i am skinny and slim....i eat so much damn food. my belly sticks out. literally. but i dont gain super weight. because i dont insulate my emotions.

winston, if you want help go to these guys. they know what they are doing. they will help you lose the weight. okay buddy take care..

http://www.expansions.com/
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Myths about diet and exercise

Post by Winston »

No one has addressed a key question here. Americans ate a lot of carbs and breads in the 1950's and 1960's. There were burgers, hot dogs, pancakes, cereals, cakes, donuts, etc. So why were Americans height/weight proportionate back then? The US government and media refuse to answer this key question, because it leads down a dark path to disturbing answers, and means there's more to all this than you think. Can any of you answer it?

Also, how come people before the modern era did not need to exercise or go to the gym? No it's not because everyone worked on farms. Many people had desk jobs or professional jobs or were doctors and lawyers and clerks. And aristocrats and noblemen did not need to exercise or go to the gym either. How do you explain that?

CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

Winston wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 9:27 am
No one has addressed a key question here. Americans ate a lot of carbs and breads in the 1950's and 1960's. There were burgers, hot dogs, pancakes, cereals, cakes, donuts, etc. So why were Americans height/weight proportionate back then? The US government and media refuse to answer this key question, because it leads down a dark path to disturbing answers, and means there's more to all this than you think. Can any of you answer it?

Also, how come people before the modern era did not need to exercise or go to the gym? No it's not because everyone worked on farms. Many people had desk jobs or professional jobs or were doctors and lawyers and clerks. And aristocrats and noblemen did not need to exercise or go to the gym either. How do you explain that?
I believe the average American consumed something like 20-25% fewer calories in that time and was also more physically active.

If you're obese, you'll probably lose a lot of weight if you only eat 3 big macs a day (~1800 calories). Your heart and arteries will likely suffer, but at the end of the day, weight gain comes down to calories out > calories in.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Winston wrote:

5 things come to mind in order of relevance:

1 - Poor portion control both as home and in restaurants. Americans tend to gorge themselves like pigs now because food is plentiful and cheap and is therefore an easy addiction in this stressful and depression-oriented society.
2 - Fast Food culture was not as ubiquitous as it is today and fried everything with french fries on the side was not as available for most back then.
3 - High Fructose Corn Syrup was not infused in everything back then so people's metabolisms were not tricked into holding on to fat.
4 - Sedentary Lifestyle was not as prevalent back when people had to walk many places and they did not just plop themselves in front of the TV or computer screen, nor sit around with their smartphones.
5 - Average testosterone levels for both men and women were significantly higher back then which is known to help keep extra fat from accumulating.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Winston wrote:

Fast food is much more prevalent now than it was back in the 50's or 60's. Also, more men worked in manual labor jobs back then than they do today and therefore were able to keep their weight down.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."