Wayne Dyer Exposed - A Critical Perspective on him

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
Tiffanyauman
Freshman Poster

Re: Wayne Dyer Exposed - A Critical Perspective on him

Post by Tiffanyauman »

This thread is ridiculous. If you practiced the concepts that Wayne teaches, you will understand the WHY to many of your complaints. I am 9 years on my journey, & still going. I've come a long way, but not enlightened yet.

We are on Earth, & are HUMAN, which means we are imperfect. That is the way it is meant to be for the unfolding of our lives to contribute to the evolution of our souls. Marriage isn't meant to be forever, and Jesus wasn't anything more than a man who figured and practiced the concepts that Wayne teaches -but Jesus perfected it, that's the difference.

& if you have nothing better to do than sit around and complain about a man who has positively impacted MILLIONS of people's lives -that's your proof for where you are on the evolutionary skill (here's a clue -somewhere more evolved that religious bigots, but far below spiritual teachers & leaders). Here's an idea -examine your own life and look at everyone and everything around you as clues to the reflection in the mirror. The whole world, your partner, your friends, your career -it's all showing you something about yourself.
And your complaints about Wayne Dyer clearly show me that you are all disatisfied with yourselves and your lives, thus you turn to picking apart a man who has everything you wish you had.
axis_mundi
Freshman Poster

Post by axis_mundi »

I met Wayne at one of his last conventions in Hawaii. The entire experience was a disappointment on many levels. I was able to witness up front and personal who Wayne wanted people to see, and who he really was. I wasn't surprised by his insecurity and highbrow empty messages he touted as his own and were blatantly lifted from others. I was disgusted by his need and actions in controlling the entire convention, almost down to the minute, with who spoke, when they spoke, and worse, what they spoke about. He spoke empty words 75% of the time, and the others spoke only a Total of 20%, the other 5% was his kid singing and for meditation.

The convention, through Hay House, was advertised as the main speaker being Anita Moorjani. She was only a side show for Wayne, along with the other "main speaker, "Immaculee Ilibagiza." It was a waste of my time, four days travel, and money, over $5,000. I sat through Wayne talking non-stop about HIMSELF, and HIS LIFE, money, travel, sick name dropping and what OTHER PEOPLE ARE DOING. He had zero self to share, except his "story" of finding love through accepting his dad leaving him and his family. He never healed from this trauma as evident in how he treated people disrespecting them, wanting to shock and humiliate strangers who had to serve him in restaurants!

Wayne laughed heartedly telling story after story of these poor people, waiters and waitresses, and how they would turn bright red, stammer and be humiliated... because when asking diners if they wanted coffee, Wayne would say yes, up his ass! Laughing because he bragged he did coffee enemas for pain relief. (A legitimate health aide that works, I know first hand the pain relief offered.) But strangers had no clue what he was talking about and would of course be put off, and even rightly embarrassed. Usually young adults or teens. This is in no way enlightened. It is abusive and purposely wanting to lower another person's energy in order to appear higher. The actions of someone in pain and insecure.

And his entire SHOW was peppered with gross, insulting SEX TALK and REFERENCES. I would believe he was in the closet, and his divorce was a way for him to remain hetero, and also free to indulge on the down low. I know a few men like this. His language and need to speak in derogatory terms regarding sex is indicative of deep issues, especially against women. Nasty, juvenile behaviour especially spoken in what should have been a safe, spiritual uplifting PROFESSIONAL environment. It was none of those.

So many things about Wayne were evident of his insecurities, and anger. He wasn't kind, or nice. He was exploitive, using his children and others to give substance and credence to what he was selling.... a feeling. Nothing other than "I have something to offer you that MAY work, but it sounds good, so it must be good." He found his niche, as the salesman selling his body of work (book) he took from others, from the trunk of his car, to selling from the trunk of the tv.... He made a profit selling feelings and dreams.

And as far as how Chopra has been successful. He has the entire Indian-born Americans AND Indian born people's ready to break free from conventional teachings. He hit his own cash cow system. This is how commerce works, finding a need in the masses, and meeting the need, especially if you don't really have everything invested Morally.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Wayne Dyer has been selling his books and CD's on TV for decades and made millions of dollars doing so. He died in 2015 at the age of 75 of a heart attack. He talks about the importance of marriage and how divorce is almost never a good idea and yet he was married and divorced 3 times. His third marriage lasted 20 years, he had 5 kids with his third wife and one child with his first wife.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

@Tiffanyauman , @Roady , @Postup70 , @axis_mundi

Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike Wayne Dyer. He was what he was. Sure he was a likable man with a charming personality and inspiring voice who spoke very well, and packaged new age ideas well too. And I liked some of his sayings and teachings.

But he spoke some obvious BS too. And he takes a lot of quotes out of context when he's citing great mystics or sages. That's a bit dishonest.

For example, when he cites Buddha or Lao Tzu, he makes it sound as if they support the new age law of attraction, aka "the secret", which is not true at all. Buddha never said that thoughts have unlimited power and that the universe is a cosmic vending machine where you can manifest whatever you want as though you were god yourself. Neither did Lao Tzu say that. To misquote them is dishonest. Yet Dr. Dyer did that frequently. Watch his lectures and you will see that. He doesn't understand Eastern religion that well, not like Deepak Chopra does, that's why Chopra didn't misquote Eastern mystics the way that Dyer did sloppily.

Why can't we point such errors out? Every man, no matter how good he is, has false beliefs and is wrong about something. There's nothing wrong with point that out. No one is perfect. Just because you follow someone or are a fan of someone doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they say. That's a fallacy, that if one follows a guru then he must agree with him on everything. Not so. I follow some spiritual teachers too, but I don't always agree with everything they said.

You gotta understand that new age is NOT total truth that is unassailable. Like Christianity, it is a mix of truth and lies and contains many exaggerations which could be dangerous if taken too literally. Like religion, most of new age should be taken metaphorically, not literally and not to the extreme.

So no, new age is not some perfect belief system that makes sense and contains no lies or BS. It certainly does. And the sad thing is that you new agers lack any critical thinking ability and never apply any critical thinking at all to your own beliefs. In that sense, you are no better than Christians and Atheists who never apply critical thinking to their own beliefs either. All three of you groups are like that, very hive minded, never applying any skepticism to the doctrines of your movement

That's my beef with you guys, even though I agree with some New Age teachings. Sure it has some value, but so does religion. But it contains a lot of things that are easily disproven with basic logic. Yet new agers are too blind to see this.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

More critical comments of Wayne Dyer in my blog:

https://blog.happierabroad.com/2008/09/ ... ivity.html
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Reply to a comment in my blog post:

https://blog.happierabroad.com/2008/09/ ... 4351137412
Outlaw0888January 12, 2021 at 8:36 AM
Yes. I think all the critics of Wayne Dyer especially are unhappy in their lives and unsuccessful because their heads is so far up their own ass. That is a negative mindset for sure.

My mom met Wayne Dyer, he was a nice person to her. I admire his teachings and they do help set the tone for a positive mindset.

For crying out loud, he is a HUMAN BEING, he is NOT perfect. In fact I read on his website that he admitted he didnt always follow his own advice but it has helped others. So why ruin it ya know?

It's understandable some people havent had success with teachings. But really just because you didnt have success doesnt mean it doesnt work for someone else.
Outlawo888,
You don't understand the basis of my criticism. Read my LOA article here: https://www.debunkingskeptics.com/LawofAttraction.htm

Yes Wayne Dyer is nice and positive, and has some good advice, but like religion and the Bible, he mixes truth with lies, either knowingly or unknowingly, for marketing purposes, because BS sells, truth does not. Americans especially love positivity even if its false positivity.

Dyer makes MISLEADING claims which cause his fans to become delusional and sets them up for disappointment. Some examples:

"You create your own reality"
"Your mind is all powerful. There are no limits unless you impose limits on yourself. Nothing is impossible unless you believe it is."
Etc.

No these are not straw mans. Dyer and other New Agers say these things in their New Age books and lectures, literally. But these are common lies and misleading statements in the New Age and self-help industry. They are not even true. Your mind can influence your body and health yes, but that's it, they do not have power over your external reality. For example, those with genuine telekinesis can only move small objects like toothpicks under a glass bowl. Research parapsychology and you will see that. No one can move large objects with their mind like you see the Jedi doing in Star Wars. To claim you can is a lie. Yes psi does exist, but the effect is very miniscule.

Look up my friend Darryl Sloan on YouTube. He is one of the most honest researchers and has authentic psi demonstrations where he moves a paper wheel left or right. I've done this myself and I know it's real. But that's it. Very miniscule effect. NOT all powerful as Wayne Dyer, Gregg Braden, Bruce Lipton and other New Age authors claim! You do not create your own reality, if you could then you'd live in a dream world where nothing went wrong. Duh! You'd have powers like Q from Star Trek The Next Generation where you could manifest anything instantly. But no one can do that. Show me just ONE person, JUST ONE, who can lift large objects into the air like the Jedi do in Star Wars. JUST ONE! You can't! Because it's impossible, not because we believe it's impossible as Yoda told Luke in Empire Strikes Back, but because it IS IMPOSSIBLE. To deny that is a lie. Yet Dyer and other New Age authors do just that, they lie and make false statements that delude New Age people and set themselves up for disappointment.

That's my beef with them. Do you understand? Yes New Age teachings do have truth, but like the Bible, it's truth mixed with lies, for commercial purposes and to sell too, because no one likes to hear that there are limits, everyone likes to believe that there are no limits, so to be a good New Age author you HAVE TO LIE and say that nothing is impossible and that there are no limits and that your mind is all powerful like God, etc. All of this defies basic logic and common sense and is EASILY DISPROVEN of course, but it SELLS in America, so all New Age authors have to say that. Even if they know it's not true. That's the sad part. America is the most delusional country on Earth. That New Age BS doesn't sell in Europe or Russia where people are more real and rational, for example.

Of course, it's also true as others here have said, that New Age teachings are very VICTIM blaming too because it falsely assumes that there are no victims and that everything that happens you must have attracted to you with your negative thoughts, even if it's not your fault. That's cruel and wrong and untrue and cultish too, because New Agers will believe that regardless of contrary data and common sense and basic logic.

Do you see my point? It doesn't matter if Dyer was a nice man. He makes a lot of highly misleading statements and false claims that are easily disproven by basic logic and common sense everyday experience. Thus he should be exposed and blamed for that, it's valid criticism for sure. This is true even if some of his advice is good. Of course you have to mix truth with lies in order to sell something. Sleazy used car salesmen do the same thing, because 100 percent truth does not sell, neither does 100 percent lies, in order to sell well you gotta mix truth and lies properly to create an attractive package full of positivity and lies and exaggerated claims. That's the formula for selling something well. If you think about it, you will understand that's the reality of how things sell in America, which is the land of BS.

One more thing: Yes I do love spirituality and am a very spiritual person myself. I believe in the paranormal and psi too, which has been demonstrated and proven in many ways (look up Dean Radin and Rupert Sheldrake on that). However, just because I'm into spirituality and metaphysics does not mean that I believe in New Age lies and BS claims like "You create your own reality" or "Your mind is all powerful, nothing is impossible unless you think it is" etc. Those are simply untrue and easy to disprove, super easy. Even a child could disprove those claims. So why do New Age adults buy them? It's so delusional. A lie is a lie, even if its cloaked under the guise of "spirituality" and "positive thinking". The problem is that in America, the land of BS, there is this false assumption that everything that sounds positive MUST be true, even if it obviously isn't. It's a strange delusion, but alas, America is a positivity cult essentially, that's why you always gotta give a positive answer when Americans say "How are you doing?" as we all know. Just because I'm spiritual doesn't mean I am going to lie like Wayne Dyer does and not call a spade a spade. A real truth seeker doesn't do that. Think about it.