View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Mobile Version

Filipino Recipes

Discuss your favorite foods, recipes, cooking and international cuisine.

Filipino Recipes

Postby Dianne05 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:55 pm

"SEAFOOD WITH MIX VEGETABLE IN PEANUT SAUCE"

Seafood Kare-Kare is a popular alternative version of the usual beef tripe kare kare, oxtail kare kare or pork leg kare kare. A cocktail of seafoods and the same vegetables are used for this seafood version of kare-kare. Similar to my other previous kare-kare recipe I used the same Mama Sita Kare-kare mix for convenience reasons. I wanted my kare-kare sauce creamier and thicker so added extra peanut butter and further thicken the sauce using cornstarch. In my opinion plus my love of seafoods, the seafood version of kare-kare is the ultimate version of kare-kare. Of course it would have been better if the kare-kare sauce is made from scratch using the traditional method but that would be troublesome in addition to the extra procedures of individually pre-cooking all the seafood and vegetable ingredients. The traditional way of cooking kare-kare could wait, I will post one in the near future. Kare-kare is one dish that is usually served at gatherings or party lunch/dinner, it is one of the most ordered food in Filipino food restaurants. Kare-kare is sure part of most Noche Buena and Christmas lunch or dinner. Here is how I cooked my seafood version of kare-kare.

Ingredients:

1 small size, cream dory fish fillet, cut into serving pieces
6 pcs. medium size pusit, squid, sliced or cut into serving pieces
2 pcs. alimasag, crab, trimmed, cut in half
2 cups medium size shrimp, trimmed
2 cups tahong, mussel
2 cups halaan, clams
2 medium size eggplant, slice diagonally
2 packets young corn, cut into wedges
2 bundles sitaw (string beans), cut into 2" long
2 bundles pechay, trimmed
1/2 head garlic, chopped
1 medium size onion, chopped
2 packets Mama Sita Kare-kare mix
2 tbsp. unsweetened peanut butter
1/2 cup cornstarch
cooking oil
shrimp paste

Cooking procedure:
Wash clams and mussels, place in a container with lid, cover with water and replace lid, let sit for several hours (entire day) to allow the clams and mussels to expel sand and discard sea water, change water frequently and wash and drain. Put the clams and mussels in a large pan, add in 1 cup of water let boil and stirring occasionally until all the shells have open, remove from heat. Separate the clams and mussels from the broth, using a sieve strain broth of scum and sand if any, reserve the broth. Separate and discard the top empty shell and shells that did not open, keep aside. In a same pan boil 3 cups of water and quickly blanch separately shrimp, fish and squid, reserve the broth, keep aside. Boil crabs in 3 cups of water until color changes to red, reserve the broth, keep aside. In same pan boil 3 cups of water and quickly blanch vegetables, reserve broth, keep aside. In a large wok, sauté garlic and onion. Then pour in all the reserved broth from boiling the seafoods and vegetables, about 10 cups total and peanut butter, bring to a boil and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add in the kare-kare mix diluted in 1 cup of water and simmer for 3-5 minutes, add in the cornstarch diluted in 1/2 cup of water to further thicken the sauce. Now add all the pre-cooked seafoods and vegetables and cook for another minute while carefully stirring to evenly coat with the sauce. Serve with stir fried shrimp paste.

Ingredients for shrimp paste:

12 ounces shrimp paste
1 medium tomato, diced
4 ounces pork (with fat), sliced
1 small onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons vinegar

Cooking Procedure:

Heat a pan and sear the pork until the oil comes out.
Add garlic, onion, and tomato then sauté for 3 minutes.
Put the raw shrimp paste, sugar, and vinegar then stir. Cover and cook in low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir once in a while.
Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

'PINEAPLLE CHICKEN'

This is a new version of pineapple chicken though. I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago, who said they cooked pineapple chicken with tomatoes, canned crushed pineapples and evaporated milk. Personally, I prefer fresh pineapples for cooking this dish because it gives the sauce a milky appearance. Plus, of course, there’s nothing like fresh fruit. But the addition of tomatoes did make me wonder if the flavor and the color would improve. The evaporated milk part… well, I used gata (coconut milk) instead.

Ingredients :

1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
2 white onions (the sweet variety is best), sliced thinly
3-4 tomatoes, chopped coarsely
2-3 c. of chopped fresh pineapple
fish sauce
1 c. of gata (coconut milk)
3-5 tbsps. of cooking oil
a few sprigs of dill for garnish (optional but recommended)

Cooking procedure :

Heat the cooking oil in a wide pan. When it starts to smoke (that’s hot enough!), add the chicken pieces, a few at a time, and cook until lightly browned. You’re not exactly frying the chicken–you just want to seal in the juices. Then, add the sliced onions and chopped tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables start to soften. Add the chopped pineapple. Season with fish sauce. Cover and simmer (do not add water–the natural juices of the pineapples is enough unless you want it soupy) for about 45 minutes.

By the time the chicken is done, the sauce would be rather thick and creamy. Turn up the heat to medium and pour in the coconut milk. Stir and add more fish sauce if necessary. Bring to a simmer–uncovered (otherwise, the coconut milk will curdle)–then turn off the heat.

Serving suggestion: Sprinkle the pineapple chicken with dill. Believe me, the flavor and the aroma are drastically enhanced by the dill. Cilantro would be great as well.

'CHICKEN PORK ADOBO WITH PINEAPPLE'

We sometimes call this chicken pork adobo recipe the Hawaiian adobo because of the addition of pineapples. The pineapples give a combination of sweet and sour taste to this chicken pork adobo dish. Kids will love this. This chicken pork adobo recipe has always been a hit with kids in my family.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken cut into adobo serving size
1 kg pork belly, cubed
½ cup white vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce
1 small can pineapple tidbidts
Juice of pineapple tidbits
1 tsp sugar
1 whole garlic, peeled and mashed
1 laurel leaf
1 tsp whole peppercorns

Procedure:
Combine pork, chicken, vinegar, soy sauce, juice of pineapple, sugar, garlic, laurel leaf, peppercorns in pan. Boil uncovered. Cover pan, reduce heat to low and simmer until pork and chicken are fork tender. You may add a little water at a time if sauce dries up. When chicken and pork are tender, add in pineapple tidbits. Cook for another 5 minutes covered. This adobo dish, when done, should have a thick sauce. You can add a little water during the last 5 minutes of cooking if it dries up. Serve hot.
Last edited by Dianne05 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dianne05

Re: Filipino Recipes

Postby NinjaPuppy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:14 am

This recipe sounds WONDERFUL! I will have to do a bit of searching for an ingredient or two (or three) but I will be trying this recipe.
Indecision may or may not be my problem - Jimmy Buffett
NinjaPuppy

Postby Ava Paige » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Wow! Pineapple chicken is my most favorite of all! I suddenly miss my mom's cooking. :cry:
I realized that buying fast food and eating is all I do so I'm gonna try to study cooking all those dishes, for a change. Wish me luck! :lol:
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Ava Paige

Postby Renata » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Thanks Diane :mrgreen:

I'm gonna try the Pineapple Chicken first, then I'm gonna mix up two of your recipes to make Pineapple seafood with vegetables. I like cooking with coconut milk. I do a caribbean rice dish with vegetables simmered in coconut milk, it's very savoury. I'll let you know how it tured out. :)
Renata

Return to Food, Cooking, Cuisine