View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Mobile Version

It's nice to meet you

Discuss dating, relationships and meeting foreign men.

It's nice to meet you

Postby Dianne05 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:22 pm

My close friends may disagree with me, but I consider myself to be a bit of a shy person. I tend to be quite around new people; watching how they interact with others, listening to what they say and how they respond to the people around them, watching their body language – excellent for getting a ‘feel’ for someone new. This trait is great for listening to my gut instinct about new people (which is right 99% of the time), however it doesn’t really go hand in hand with actually becoming friendly with new people.

While I’m hanging back observing, getting my bearings on how to take a new person or situation, it can then be hard to break into the current conversation going on around me. Because I’ve stayed quiet up until that point, for some reason some (bigger personalities, louder and/or opinionated) people seem to think this means I don’t have anything to say at all, or if I do, then it cant be very worthwhile and therefore it’s ok to simply talk over me, or just direct the conversation to those beside me exclusively. Sometimes I just feel awkward and can’t seem to find the right words, or timing, to break into the conversation. Consequently this can lead me to pull back even more, because really, what’s the point when I can’t get a word in edgeways?

It’s pleasing to learn something new through the knowledge of a stranger, to discover things, or be challenged to think a new way; see something in a new light. And it’s equally pleasing to have those same people then genuinely want to know about me – where I work, what do I study, where have I travelled to, how do I feel and think about things. Its really quite satisfying how much fun you can have when you open your mind up to new people! Each new person I meet renews my confidence in myself a little bit more. I feel uplifted and happy. And I think the more I open-minded I am, the more people seem to be attracted to striking up a conversation with me.
Dianne05

Re: It's nice to meet you

Postby NinjaPuppy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:34 pm

I love to learn and discover too.
Indecision may or may not be my problem - Jimmy Buffett
NinjaPuppy

Return to Dating, Relationships, Meeting Foreign Men