[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
My American cousin • Ladies Discussion Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Mobile Version

My American cousin

Discuss why you like foreign cultures better than your own. What about them fits you better or makes you feel happier? Compare/Contrast foreign cultures with your own.

My American cousin

Postby Renata » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:02 am

When I was 16 my cousin came from LA. She grew up there. She came with her husband because they were newly married. When people come from abroad to the Caribbean, we roll out the red carpet, & are uber hospitable. For example my father doesn't keep alcohol in the house because of us. I think he drinks alcohol sometimes, I'm not sure up to this day. Anyway because my cousin & her husband were comming my parents made lots of food & bought liquor & alcohol to entertain them & guests.

While all the guests were having a ball ... I think some of the alcohol was finishing, I was asked to nip out to the corner store & get some more. This American guy was wandering about the premises, I guess he was in tourist mode. He asked me where I was going, so I unconciously said, "Do you want to come? I'm just going to the corner store" He got in my red jimny & we went to the store & came back in 10 mins or so.

His wife / my cousin, got furious with him :shock: oh boy did he get it! :oops: I felt so bad about all of it, but why? I didn't do anything wrong, right?

Then I got it! ... She told me, Bitch know your place!

:|
Renata

Re: My American cousin

Postby BellaRuth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 am

I don't understand... what did you do wrong?
When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.
BellaRuth

Postby Renata » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:52 am

I don't know but i was pretty embarassed ... I've always been on my P's & Q's with americans when I run into them, since that. My brother in law is american he's ok though, but i hardly see them.
Renata

Postby BellaRuth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:05 am

How strange. You did exactly what I would have (and have!) done.

My face: :shock: :?: :!:
BellaRuth

Postby NinjaPuppy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:25 am

I don't see it as you did anything wrong. You were being hospitable and polite. I'd venture to guess that your cousin has jealousy issues.

You say that she is from LA and in this country, they come from the land of the beautiful people. That area of California is known for movie stars, models, millionaires and all things supposedly perfect. It's some sort of unwritten requirement in LA. ;) It must be hard to mentally and physically compete day to day in that arena as there is always someone thinner, richer, younger and more beautiful looking to replace you the first chance they get.
Indecision may or may not be my problem - Jimmy Buffett
NinjaPuppy

Postby BellaRuth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 am

But why on earth would a woman marry a man who she thinks is incapable of being left to his own devices for just 10 minutes? She must see him as some sort of wild animal she needs to train.

It's incredibly disrespectful to both him and Renata. And if she literally did call Renata a 'bitch'... that's unacceptable.

If I invited a partner of my sister, friend, cousin, etc. to go to the shop with me (to be honest, over here the man would be expected to accompany me to choose drinks for the men/carry them/to just be polite) and I came back to this reaction I'd think, 'wow, she's having some sort of mental breakdown'.

What was her husband's reaction to this? I think I'd get dumped on the spot if I treated my boyfriend like that, and rightly so.
BellaRuth

Postby NinjaPuppy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:41 am

NinjaPuppy

Postby BellaRuth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:45 am

NinjaPuppy, would you consider this to be a 'normal' response from an American woman?

I seriously can't even imagine it. It sounds literally insane.
BellaRuth

Postby NinjaPuppy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:02 am

NinjaPuppy

Postby Renata » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:58 am

Renata

Return to Why Do You Like Foreign Cultures Better?