[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home-Country vs. Expatriate-Country • Ladies Discussion Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Mobile Version

Home-Country vs. Expatriate-Country

Discuss general topics that don't fit into the other boards.

Home-Country vs. Expatriate-Country

Postby Renata » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:23 am

What's some of the plus & minuses of your Home-Country vs. Expatriate-Country

Trinidad & Tobago
I would have to say I don't miss the traffic & mindless drinking & partying the locals do sometimes. I do miss the serene island life, the sand & the sea, & the abundance of fresh seafoods. The warm tropical climate too.

Turkey
Some cities are cold, the shops & taxis can be a rip off if you're not street smart since most Turks think foreigners are rich. I do like the abundance & variety of fresh fruits & vegetables available & a big plus is the cost of living is real low here in most cities. Pampering is a Luxury but it's affordable here; like thermal spas, hamams, etc.
Renata

Re: Home-Country vs. Expatriate-Country

Postby Winston » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:59 am

Some of the things I miss about the US are:

1. The beautiful nature, landscapes and national parks that are unparalleled in the rest of the world. Having a car to drive around them.
2. The great variety of consumer choices and foods.

But I don't like the US in these areas:

1. Social isolation. It feels very isolating. People expect you to mind your own business. There is no feeling of human connection. Only older people in their 50's and above, are open and sociable with strangers. In most other countries, young people are more open and inclusive and sociable with strangers.

2. Flirtation is a taboo viewed negatively. It is seen as creepy. But in most other countries, it is far more acceptable, welcome and appreciated, for women are flattered by compliments and being hit on.

3. I can't just ask a girl out. If I try, she will say that she has a boyfriend or is busy or has some other excuse. Every time. Thus there is no way for me to get a date, contrary to the myth that it's easy to get a date in the US which the movies portray. In many other countries, I just ask a girl out and she says sure and suggests a day and time to me. Simple as that.

4. Constant feeling of insecurity and low self-esteem. Due to the competitive nature and mindset of Americans, and the sense of isolation, you constantly feel insecure about yourself and not accepted for who you are. So you constantly struggle to maintain your self-esteem, which is a neverending battle that should not be an issue, because it isn't in other countries.

5. High cost of living and no national healthcare for all. If you have to see a doctor, you're screwed out of a lot of money.
Do you make overseas calls? For the lowest rates, check out my .

Seeking a foreign partner? See these .
Winston
Site Admin

Postby sarahfinch » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:28 am

You like your home country more than expatriate country because you spent more time in your home country with full of freedom and you have lots of friends in the country while in Expatriate country you have to make new friends and the culture and entire environment is changed.

sarahfinch

Postby Winston » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:43 pm

Do you make overseas calls? For the lowest rates, check out my .

Seeking a foreign partner? See these .
Winston
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions