"Behind every great man, there's a great woman".

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
clowny
Freshman Poster

"Behind every great man, there's a great woman".

Post by clowny »

I wonder if it was a woman or a man(gina) who first uttered those words, which would became a famous quote. I think the quote serves as a means for women as a collective whole to try and take some of the credit for man's accomplishments, because women have themselves never accomplished anything truly great. Do a little research on some of the "great men" in history, and you'll soon realise why the quote is something of a fallacy! Some of the most prominent philosophers, scientists and inventors in recorded history never married or fathered children, and are believed to have died virgins - men such as Immanuel Kant, Isaac Newton, Henry Cavendish, Ludwig van Beethoven, Nicola Tesla, Henry David Thoreau, and Ralph Waldo Emerson, to name a few. These men are widely considered to be some of the most influential people in the history of mankind, yet it is said that they formed no romantic relationships or attachments whatsoever. Nikola Tesla even credited his chastity as a key component of his inventive abilities. Maybe the secret to accomplishing wonders is to ignore women. It sure did work for these great men.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Ya more like 'some men have a good woman.' In my opinion a mother usually has a bigger impact on a man than the wife does. Leonardo Da Vinci, wasn't he a homosexual? Who was his woman the Mona Lisa? Clearly a real woman (not an average American one) you love can give you strength, especially if she mothered your child. The "never mess with a man who's got mouths to feed" sort of thing. But it's more a case of the woman fitting her gender role and giving the man strength as protector and provider. Any woman can accomplish her natural task of motivator and nurturer. It doesn't make her "great". Women are extremely average and easily replaceable in the lover role. But good mothers aren't that common and bad ones don't get the blame they deserve.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I prefer this saying, "Behind every great woman, there is a great man."

I just made that statement up but I believe it's true. Women in anglo-countries get WAY too much credit for things than they should. They also don't get nearly as much criticism as they deserve.

No wonder why women in anglo-countries have inflated egos. They are led to believe that they can do no wrong and are also told that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread!:D
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

It's an age old quote. It rests on the fabric of the family unit & how back in the day it was considered honourable to cook, clean & care for your husband. Now a days the media promotes taking care of your household as unsavoury ... when really & truely cooking is essential for good nutrition & having healthy happy kids & cleaning is basicially being hygenic & sanitary.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -