Eastern Euro Culture is more Similar to Asian than Western?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Repatriate wrote:
ladislav wrote:Russians and Filipinos are alike in family structure, the romantic and sensual nature and the ease with which strangers instantly mingle. The folk music sounds almost the same.

All the other comparisons will be along the behavior based on social class lines- Chinese peasants will find E. Euro peasants similar in terms of social values and structures. Hence the similarities observed. Urban Asians will be very much similar to their Western counterparts, otoh.

Japanese = Germans/Scandinavians
Chinese = Brits
Koreans- Irish?
Koreans being the Irish of Asia is a pretty interesting comparison. I'd say maybe a more industrious Irish. Ireland basically rides the coattails of EU/UK investment on the other hand Korea is a genuine global competitor. Plus Korea is pumping out some really good film directors and K-pop is a pretty viral media thing in many parts of the world long before Psy. Korea has a history of being colonized and rebelling over long periods like Ireland too.
NaughtyNomad, who is himself Irish, once agreed with me that the Filipinos were the Irish of Asia. English-speaking, friendly, fun, full of song, etc.

Certainly not the way one thinks of Koreans.

Koreans would seem to compare to the gruff hardworking Whites one might find on the Frisian Islands, or the Faroe Islands.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote: Japanese = Germans/Scandinavians
Chinese = Brits
Koreans- Irish?
OK so who do Armenians = ?????
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Jester wrote: NaughtyNomad, who is himself Irish, once agreed with me that the Filipinos were the Irish of Asia. English-speaking, friendly, fun, full of song, etc.

Certainly not the way one thinks of Koreans.

Koreans would seem to compare to the gruff hardworking Whites one might find on the Frisian Islands, or the Faroe Islands.
Here's my interpretation of Irish people. They aren't as joyful or friendly as Filipinos and they have a dark side. They drink to get rid of it. The happy go lucky shit is a cultural facade. That's why Irish like to fight as much as sing. When was the last time you saw Filipinos beat each other to a bloody pulp as a nightly routine? You see that shit all the time outside an Irish pub. Why is it that every Irish musician, poet, or author is angsty as f**k?

Koreans are similar. They can be sardonic and witty but a lot of times they are just sour on the inside. They also like to drink a lot to get rid of the pain. Like the Irish they enjoy fighting. They put themselves out there in that way.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

There are some polar similarities, it's just that there will not be a full equivalent of an Eastern country to its Western counterpart simply because countries are sporadic phenomena and were not created with some design in mind to have a balance on both continents. Similar political, social and climatic conditions do account for similar societies, but not totally.
OK so who do Armenians = ?????
Armenians are basically North-Middle Eastern Christians and they will be similar to Greeks, Sycilians and Christian Arabs, also to Jews ( minus the religion)-- many physical anthropologists put Jewish racial types into an Armenid category, but it would be hard to find an "Asian" equivalent because they are already arguably in Asia. If you mean in the Far East, maybe Dayaks in Malaysia would be an equivalent.
The other main culture i see a lot of Eastern Europeans have affinity for is Arab/Middle Eastern culture. I guess to be honest, i see more Eastern Europeans hanging out with say Iranians, Lebanese, Israelis, Turks, etc, although in Russia itself, they are highly discriminated against. The people i spoke with said that they cannot trust them.

Plus, Balkan people (and even a little bit for many Ukrainians) have a heavy racial and cultural influence from the Turks.
While a lot of E. Euros do like Arabs/Jews, etc., there's also a large segment in their society that does not. Also, hanging out with people overseas is one thing, giving a job to them at home or doing business with them is something totally different.

Arabs also like E. Europeans and welcome them. For example, if you tell Arabs you come from some E. Euro country, they will smile and say- welcome! It does not mean that they accept them totally, they just don't hate them and maybe will hang out with them and enjoy company. Marrying off a sister to them or letting them do business in any capacity is a totally different matter. However, Arabs love Ukrainian girls and Bulgarian/ Romanian girls and fly to those countries all the time. In Ukraine, there is a permanent Arab population with mosques and all. But then, Ukrainians are neutral people and let anyone live there provided the documents are in order and the skin is not too dark. Social acceptance is a different matter, though.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!