TEFL or CELTA!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Re: TEFL or CELTA!

Post by Hero »

It seems like a big hassle to sign up for the CELTA training. They ask a bunch of nosy questions on the application form (e.g. what are your future plans), they give you a pre-registration homework, and then you have to suffer through an interview. Do any of you know of anyone who was rejected by CELTA because of their answers on the application or the interview?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Hero wrote:It seems like a big hassle to sign up for the CELTA training. They ask a bunch of nosy questions on the application form (e.g. what are your future plans), they give you a pre-registration homework, and then you have to suffer through an interview. Do any of you know of anyone who was rejected by CELTA because of their answers on the application or the interview?
No, but I know of people who were rejected for not doing their pre-enrollment assignment properly and had to re-submit it. This is all good in my opinion. It is an intensive course, so there is not time to bring illiterates and such up to speed. When you do the course you will be happy that your fellow course members have a working knowledge of the English language and a couple of brain cells to rub together, as that will help with your learning experience.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I aced my CELTA interview but I was worried about the places who needed references (mine didn't ask for one). Don't worry too much - the main thing to remember is that if they don't think you'll pass, then you won't be allowed on the course. If you get a place then they KNOW you have the potential to pass.

The CELTA *is* a tough thing to pass, after all it is the equivalent of a UK HND course. The CELTA drove me to the edge of insanity. If you have the funds then do what I did last year and do it part-time. I did mine in Barcelona which is a fabulous city and International House is a very famous language school.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 24th, 2016, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Anyone here teaching in Eastern Europe (especially the Ukraine)?