How soon is too soon for a man to buy his passport

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

How soon is too soon for a man to buy his passport

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

Simply put, I want to purchase my passport as early as possible, however I have no immediate plans to travel abroad (in other words, I have no planned destinations, departures, living accommodations, travel arrangements, etc. to a specific location). This wouldn't be a problem, but I understand that passport have an "expiration date" so to speak. Worse case scenario, I purchase a passport book or passport card now, and then find out that I have no plans or the financial means to openly travel in the years that that passport is valid. How soon is "too soon", if there is such a thing? Currently my only income is a small business that I run, and although I doubt I have the financial nest to leave, live and work abroad, I would still like to purchase a passport of some sort now. I have a suspicion that either passport prices will rise, or that they will become more exclusive and hard to obtain, or the Feminazi Union that is America will make it illegal for men to buy passports and venture abroad, or that the government will put a hold on passports so we cannot experience better cultures and societies, or that passports will become unavailable somehow (all false fears, I know). How soon is "too soon" for a man to buy his passport and give himself the only option that western men are faced with in this day in age - that is to develop himself through travel and culture outside of the western femisphere that has deemed males as second class citizens since birth.
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
dreamingawake09
Freshman Poster

Post by dreamingawake09 »

No such thing as "too soon" in getting a passport. Just get one now and you won't have to worry about it later. They last 10 years before you have to renew, so just go for it mate. Purchasing my passport a few months ago inspired me to take a week away from my studies and lectures and I went to Mexico City, best decision ever. So go for it.

Edit: Even though you said you currently don't have enough to travel within the ten years of validity, my mother told me something valuable. "You never know when you might need it in emergency." She got my brother a passport about a week ago. One smart mom right there.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

dreamingawake09 wrote:No such thing as "too soon" in getting a passport. Just get one now and you won't have to worry about it later. They last 10 years before you have to renew, so just go for it mate. Purchasing my passport a few months ago inspired me to take a week away from my studies and lectures and I went to Mexico City, best decision ever. So go for it.

Edit: Even though you said you currently don't have enough to travel within the ten years of validity, my mother told me something valuable. "You never know when you might need it in emergency." She got my brother a passport about a week ago. One smart mom right there.
I totally agree with this.

Getting the passport will make you feel free, and give you pride and energy.

I'm not ready to travel either, but getting mine allowed me to take a spur of the moment drive down into Baja. I loved crossing the border.

PS to Dreamawake - you do indeed have one smart mom
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

dreamingawake09 wrote:No such thing as "too soon" in getting a passport. Just get one now and you won't have to worry about it later. They last 10 years before you have to renew, so just go for it mate. Purchasing my passport a few months ago inspired me to take a week away from my studies and lectures and I went to Mexico City, best decision ever. So go for it.

"If you build it he will come." Same with the passport. Get one and you'll have one less reason not to travel.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

What kind of "emergency" are we talking about here, and how would a passport provide a safeguard? (And be realistic here ;) Don't tell me that an asteroid is headed toward the United States, and that the debris from the collision will wipe out all of Alaska... AND Hawaii :P)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!

NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Re: How soon is too soon for a man to buy his passport

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:Simply put, I want to purchase my passport as early as possible, however I have no immediate plans to travel abroad (in other words, I have no planned destinations, departures, living accommodations, travel arrangements, etc. to a specific location). This wouldn't be a problem, but I understand that passport have an "expiration date" so to speak. Worse case scenario, I purchase a passport book or passport card now, and then find out that I have no plans or the financial means to openly travel in the years that that passport is valid. How soon is "too soon", if there is such a thing? Currently my only income is a small business that I run, and although I doubt I have the financial nest to leave, live and work abroad, I would still like to purchase a passport of some sort now. I have a suspicion that either passport prices will rise, or that they will become more exclusive and hard to obtain, or the Feminazi Union that is America will make it illegal for men to buy passports and venture abroad, or that the government will put a hold on passports so we cannot experience better cultures and societies, or that passports will become unavailable somehow (all false fears, I know). How soon is "too soon" for a man to buy his passport and give himself the only option that western men are faced with in this day in age - that is to develop himself through travel and culture outside of the western femisphere that has deemed males as second class citizens since birth.
I agree with the other poster who said there is no such thing as *too soon* being that a passport is good for 10 years. Also, keep in mind that a passport is another form of ID other then a drivers licence/birth certificate, so it's good to have even if you don't travel anywhere.

As a matter of fact, a military guy of high ranking told me to get my passport and firearms license because the act of being issued such privilege means that my background has been checked and I'm cleared (i.e, no warrants, no felonies).

Anyhow, it's a cool feeling to know you have a passport being that only 38% of Americans even have one.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-04/trav ... =PM:TRAVEL
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Man, HappierAbroad is my source for great advice! I like all the responses! If now is the time to get a passport, then I may have to shave my beard, groom my hair, and bust out the business suit soon (for the photo I.D. portion). I may even call up a buddy of mine who is a professional photographer with a standard industry camera and equipment to take one of my best and most significant photos! Thanks, men!

NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

All_That_Is_Man wrote:Man, HappierAbroad is my source for great advice! I like all the responses! If now is the time to get a passport, then I may have to shave my beard, groom my hair, and bust out the business suit soon (for the photo I.D. portion). I may even call up a buddy of mine who is a professional photographer with a standard industry camera and equipment to take one of my best and most significant photos! Thanks, men!
Well, the best bet is to use the photographer at the post office where you will submit your application because they know how to take the photo and they also use a very expensive camera as well. Just be safe because your passport can be rejected if your photo is not correct.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptpho ... _5300.html
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

NorthAmericanguy wrote:Well, the best bet is to use the photographer at the post office where you will submit your application because they know how to take the photo and they also use a very expensive camera as well. Just be safe because your passport can be rejected if your photo is not correct.

Interesting. Ya know, I knew that the post office took photos, but I just don't remember any of my local post offices having like a separate room, per se, where photo ops would take place. Do they take you behind the counter?

Personally, I rather just get my photo from my friend (the professional photographer with industry equipment), then crop it myself on Photoshop at home. Sure beats going to the post office in a business suit all spiffy and dapper about it! :P

PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Re: How soon is too soon for a man to buy his passport

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

I would recommend you get your US passport and also get a World Passport. The World Passport is valid for 10 years. I think you can get 10 year US passports as well.

The MBA is offering the service that if the World Passport is purchased through us we will GUARANTEE to be able to represent you in cases if it is declined. The World Passport Authority does NOT have the staff to represent people when the passport is declined. They are assisting me in my case because I have put so much time and effort in and been willing to start court cases over the use of the WP. That is...I am taking the risk of being thrown in jail etc.

I am not able to guarantee the WP will work at the current point in time....but we are working on it.

http://www.mensbusinessassociation.com/ ... fault.aspx

For people who buy the World Passport directly from WSA they are very welcome to do that...it is very inexpensive.....and if it is not honoured we will do our best for MBA associates on a fee basis...but I will not guarantee that we will be able to handle your case. There are LOTS of WPs out there.

Yes...in the end I hope that MBA will be in the business of selling passports and then defending the right of associates to travel freely.
Feel free to check out my blog:Click ME!
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

All_That_Is_Man wrote:
NorthAmericanguy wrote:Well, the best bet is to use the photographer at the post office where you will submit your application because they know how to take the photo and they also use a very expensive camera as well. Just be safe because your passport can be rejected if your photo is not correct.

Interesting. Ya know, I knew that the post office took photos, but I just don't remember any of my local post offices having like a separate room, per se, where photo ops would take place. Do they take you behind the counter?

Personally, I rather just get my photo from my friend (the professional photographer with industry equipment), then crop it myself on Photoshop at home. Sure beats going to the post office in a business suit all spiffy and dapper about it! :P
Yea, it's in the back in another room.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

I submitted my application today, men! It was so fun! I woke up early as hell, shaved my 5-month old beard, trimmed my huge half-fro into a sleek pompadour, showered, and was out the door to the print shop to make copies. I hit up the post office with PRIDE, and got my picture taken, signed the papers, payed the fees, and BOOM! Just a few weeks now until my passport book is in my hands!

davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:I submitted my application today, men! It was so fun! I woke up early as hell, shaved my 5-month old beard, trimmed my huge half-fro into a sleek pompadour, showered, and was out the door to the print shop to make copies. I hit up the post office with PRIDE, and got my picture taken, signed the papers, payed the fees, and BOOM! Just a few weeks now until my passport book is in my hands!
Congratulations on a great start!
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Thank you!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:I submitted my application today, men! It was so fun! I woke up early as hell, shaved my 5-month old beard, trimmed my huge half-fro into a sleek pompadour, showered, and was out the door to the print shop to make copies. I hit up the post office with PRIDE, and got my picture taken, signed the papers, payed the fees, and BOOM! Just a few weeks now until my passport book is in my hands!
Really great to hear. Cheers all round!