Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

Weird thing about Asians - Facial expression and social vibe

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi » January 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm

Billy wrote:momopi, so the only low context cultures are Germanic based cultures.
I think these are broad academic generalizations, as every person's experience differs.

I moved to the US in 1982 and, I was told that my speech and mannerisms were rude and lacking in etiquette because I said things like "give me the salt", which is perfectly acceptable in Chinese but it's rude in English.

I had to be taught to say "please pass the salt" (which makes no sense in Chinese), and that if the room is hot, I should say "is anyone feeling warm" instead of "I'm hot can we open the window".

When I read some of Winston's posts, it makes me wonder if we grew up in different versions of California that existed in different dimensions.

Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!