Diagnosing HA members' psychological issues :)

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Diagnosing HA members' psychological issues :)

Post by droid »

chanta76 wrote:Guys who go abroad are usually depress or something else. If your well adjusted and happy why go abroad? Typically I find its usually the social outcast that wants to go abroad. For guys who do sex tourism tend to.be sexaddicts. Others guys that go abroad do it out of loneliness thinking it be better over seas.
ImageNewbies START HERE
http://www.happierabroad.com
Last edited by droid on October 23rd, 2014, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

I took the liberty of modifying/adding to the list. some of these might be a bit more accurate :lol:

zboy - paranoia, bipolar
Winston - OCD, procrastination
Paloaltoguy - megalomania, schizophrenia
droid - OCD, unfulfilled sex addiction :twisted:
MrS - fulfilled sex addiction
Taco - paranoia, neurotiscism
anatol/johnnyLaw - misogynist, mult.personality, histrionic
argaluza/TTWHL - misandric, mult.personality
tsar - megalomania, procrastination
Sparc - fetishism, dependent

Disclaimer: Just joking too, it's hyperbole
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

droid wrote:fetishism
Absolutely, you'll get no argument out of me on that one 8)
droid wrote:dependent
Actually, it's my partner Mel, who's got a bit of that one. I'm her lifestyle *guru* and yes, I'm sure I'll get some flack for saying that but she's got thick skin :wink:
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

droid wrote:I took the liberty of modifying/adding to the list. some of these might be a bit more accurate :lol:

Taco - paranoia, neurotiscism
Your the one making me paranoid.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

chanta76 wrote:
October 21st, 2014, 6:00 pm
Guys who go abroad are usually depress or something else. If your well adjusted and happy why go abroad? Typically I find its usually the social outcast that wants to go abroad. For guys who do sex tourism tend to.be sexaddicts. Others guys that go abroad do it out of loneliness thinking it be better over seas.
This is an old thread, but worth some consideration.

In my case I really found it better overseas, away from Europe since more than 40 years. I prefer a peaceful life style and what is wrong with that?
Relocation makes sense, but of course not for everybody.

Loneliness was one reason I left, but there were other reasons too, like climate, opening time of shops, behavior of women in general, met the wrong friends, not nice and not helpful relatives, restrictions in opening your own business.... also street criminality in some cities...

What was good in Europe however was the social security system, I know very high taxes, but if you manage it up to 65, and I did it in Japan with a European working contract, you have a nice pension, financial secure up to end of life, nothing to be worried about medical bills.

So not everything was bad in Europe, but I prefer to be in Asia.

Psychological issues?
Yes, true, most or even all people posting in this HA-forum had some problems in their past - otherwise they would not look for foreign wives, relocation to far away countries, prefer to speak even another language and not using their own native language anymore....
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 11:16 pm
chanta76 wrote:
October 21st, 2014, 6:00 pm
Guys who go abroad are usually depress or something else. If your well adjusted and happy why go abroad? Typically I find its usually the social outcast that wants to go abroad. For guys who do sex tourism tend to.be sexaddicts. Others guys that go abroad do it out of loneliness thinking it be better over seas.
This is an old thread, but worth some consideration.

In my case I really found it better overseas, away from Europe since more than 40 years. I prefer a peaceful life style and what is wrong with that?
Relocation makes sense, but of course not for everybody.

Loneliness was one reason I left, but there were other reasons too, like climate, opening time of shops, behavior of women in general, met the wrong friends, not nice and not helpful relatives, restrictions in opening your own business.... also street criminality in some cities...

What was good in Europe however was the social security system, I know very high taxes, but if you manage it up to 65, and I did it in Japan with a European working contract, you have a nice pension, financial secure up to end of life, nothing to be worried about medical bills.

So not everything was bad in Europe, but I prefer to be in Asia.

Psychological issues?
Yes, true, most or even all people posting in this HA-forum had some problems in their past - otherwise they would not look for foreign wives, relocation to far away countries, prefer to speak even another language and not using their own native language anymore....
I agree.

There are plenty of people I knew back home who never made it to 50... drugs, suicide, murder, alcoholism - their lives couldn't have been made any worse than a move abroad.

Some of the most maladjusted and unhappiest people I know have never been anywhere.

Of course it is easy for Chanta to spout this crap but he is a Korean who moved to the USA - he is one of those people.

I wanted to leave ever since I was a child. Simple as that, I have no intentions of moving back to my home country, being abroad cured my depression. Going back would see a return of it so I am not planning on moving back anytime soon - well, never. :D
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

This thread is a gem. I would add two members (I won't say the names) to the list. The problems in one of them are clinically apparent.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

yick wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 12:15 am
I agree.
There are plenty of people I knew back home who never made it to 50... drugs, suicide, murder, alcoholism - their lives couldn't have been made any worse than a move abroad.
Some of the most maladjusted and unhappiest people I know have never been anywhere.
Of course it is easy for Chanta to spout this crap but he is a Korean who moved to the USA - he is one of those people.
I wanted to leave ever since I was a child. Simple as that, I have no intentions of moving back to my home country, being abroad cured my depression. Going back would see a return of it so I am not planning on moving back anytime soon - well, never. :D
Thank you for your comment, Yick, it could be written by myself.

I also wanted to leave ever since I was a child and this is what I did. Of course we have to be realistic, the time I was a child was different from what my native country is now. But still I have no intention ever to move back.

True, miserable Western people in general do not make it to abroad, at least not for permanent relocation. Might be with cheap airplanes to almost everywhere worldwide they made it up for a few weeks as backpackers/even begpackers, as sex tourists in case of men, and in case of whiny women they were complaining that no men were approaching them, inviting them... complaining that Western men ignore them totally and prefer local girls...LOL

Chanta76 often makes reasonable comments and I wonder to which countries and people he referred with his comment.
chanta76 wrote: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 am
Maybe if he reads this thread, he can explain.

In a certain sense he is not wrong when he says if you are well adjusted and happy, why go abroad?

However not everybody in Western countries is 'well adjusted and happy'. In my case as a child and young man, I was not 'well adjusted and happy' and also 'lonely' out of various reasons I really think it is better overseas for me, away from Europe. I do not regret to move away.

To be honest, permanent relocation to elsewhere is not so easy and not so cheap - even not if you come from a higher income country. - Most of badly prepared people are running out of money anyway, at least here in Asia. Often unable to work anything productive due to insufficient documents/visa and job qualification and missing language knowledge.

This 'not so cheap permanent relocation cost' is also true to lower-income Asian countries, like Thailand - if you really want to relocate and enjoy a comfortable life with a family/children in Thailand, you might be surprised how much you have to pay for a nice accommodation, for international school, medical fees, your car ... nothing is for free and from where should all this money come from?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Diagnosing HA members' psychological issues

Post by Yohan »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 7:59 pm
This thread is a gem. I would add two members (I won't say the names) to the list. The problems in one of them are clinically apparent.
Well, this tread is not only about 'psychological issues'.

I think, everybody of us posting in this HA forum has some so-called 'psychological issues'.

To be serious, it's about why some of us really decided to move away from our native countries - for what reason did we do that?

Why do I prefer to live as a 'white man from Europe' among Japanese, and Thais and Filipinos...

We are outsiders, but we at least tried to improve our situation.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Thank you for your comment, Yick, it could be written by myself.

I also wanted to leave ever since I was a child and this is what I did. Of course we have to be realistic, the time I was a child was different from what my native country is now. But still I have no intention ever to move back.

True, miserable Western people in general do not make it to abroad, at least not for permanent relocation. Might be with cheap airplanes to almost everywhere worldwide they made it up for a few weeks as backpackers/even begpackers, as sex tourists in case of men, and in case of whiny women they were complaining that no men were approaching them, inviting them... complaining that Western men ignore them totally and prefer local girls...LOL

Chanta76 often makes reasonable comments and I wonder to which countries and people he referred with his comment.
chanta76 wrote: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 am
Maybe if he reads this thread, he can explain.

In a certain sense he is not wrong when he says if you are well adjusted and happy, why go abroad?

However not everybody in Western countries is 'well adjusted and happy'. In my case as a child and young man, I was not 'well adjusted and happy' and also 'lonely' out of various reasons I really think it is better overseas for me, away from Europe. I do not regret to move away.

To be honest, permanent relocation to elsewhere is not so easy and not so cheap - even not if you come from a higher income country. - Most of badly prepared people are running out of money anyway, at least here in Asia. Often unable to work anything productive due to insufficient documents/visa and job qualification and missing language knowledge.

This 'not so cheap permanent relocation cost' is also true to lower-income Asian countries, like Thailand - if you really want to relocate and enjoy a comfortable life with a family/children in Thailand, you might be surprised how much you have to pay for a nice accommodation, for international school, medical fees, your car ... nothing is for free and from where should all this money come from?
When I was a little kid, I used to watch the planes fly above my shitty council estate - I always wondered where they were going, to a desert island with beautiful palm trees in my mind but probably Dublin! Still, I always wanted to be on one of them and I always thought of how lucky the people on those planes were - to be going somewhere - whereas I was stuck on the ground in a miserable place.

My moving out of where I was from had nothing to do with women or love, maybe in the back of my mind, I didn't bother settling down because I was ready to move away and I didn't want to be tied down with a woman, kids, life there where I would be miserable until my end days - I never thought about that until now actually. When I was a kid I would read encyclopedias and world maps - the only time I would see the sun would be looking at those big, bright photos of 1960's Buenos Aires, Cape Town, Penang and even Moscow - I always wanted to go to these places.

Permanent relocation is very very hard and I don't think most people really want it - Ghost and Matt Hanson said if the woman situation was better they would have stayed right where they were. That was never ever it for me, I wouldn't have made it to 50 myself if I had to stay where I was, there was nothing there for me, nothing there for most people but they take drugs, drink and smoke themselves to death.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Diagnosing HA members' psychological issues

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 10:32 pm
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 7:59 pm
Well, this tread is not only about 'psychological issues'.

I think, everybody of us posting in this HA forum has some so-called 'psychological issues'.

To be serious, it's about why some of us really decided to move away from our native countries - for what reason did we do that?

Why do I prefer to live as a 'white man from Europe' among Japanese, and Thais and Filipinos...

We are outsiders, but we at least tried to improve our situation.
I was always an 'outsider' too, I am mixed race and was an outsider in my own country with being told plenty of times to 'go back home' so I don't give a shit if I am seen as an outsider by people who I am actually outside of their cultural and ethnic sphere. At least I know where I stand.

If people see me as an outsider, I don't care, I don't know them and most of the time I don't really want to know them - I wish them well with all the love, peace and happiness in the world.

Of course, there are some absolute jerks amongst them, no more or less than back home.

If I have to leave Asia then I am off to Latin America or Spain. There will always be a place for me somewhere and for that I am very happy! :D
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

One more thing about this subject, I always had a dream as a kid of living in Australia, but when you watch programmes and actually go there - it is just the same as the UK with the same problems, might have better weather but it is the 'same shit, different bucket' as we say in the UK - I really do think to be 'happier abroad' you can't just replace one first world country for another one - or the UK for Australia and expect a real change of fortune. The change has to be a stark one and those first two years are hard but get through that and then you are set. That's what I think anyway.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I did a test recently and I found out I could be a sociopath. Thankfully I didn't score highly on the psychopath scale. My sister knows one of those. She wrecks the lives of every man she sleeps with (which is a long list).

Anyway, if anyone needs a career change mental health is going to be a huge boom industry over the next decade.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.