Celebrities whose looks are overrated

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Celebrities whose looks are overrated

Post by MrMan »

Have any of you ever been sitting in a movie and you saw the female lead or supporting actress who, you suppose, according to the story line, is supposed to be beautiful, but you don't think she's all that pretty?

For me, Drew Barrymore is like a 6 or maybe a 7 from some angles, even at her youngest age. Julia Roberts at her Prime, when she did Pretty Woman, for me isn't so pretty, maybe a 7 or 8. She's really pretty from some angles, but not so much from others, IMO. It's the nose for both of them, especially Drew Berrymore.

I've also noticed that on some of the British TV shows, the female lead is supposed to be prettier than she is. Classic Dr. Who had some pretty assistants. But I read comments online that Alex Kingston who played River Song was supposed to be pretty, sexy, etc. She just seems sort of average. Maybe she's too matronly. I thought if Dr. Who was going to have a wife, why not someone more attractive? Karen Gillan who played Amy Pond on Dr. Who is pretty from some angles, IMO, but sort of average looking from other angles. I guess guys who are crazy about redheads like her. Jenna Louise Coleman is a pretty assistant, with a face in the 9-er range. The Doctor's last black assistant, Martha Jones, played by Freema Agyeman is also very pretty. I thought Billie Piper who played Rose was just a little bit attractive.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Celebrities whose looks are overrated

Post by Rock »

MrMan wrote:Have any of you ever been sitting in a movie and you saw the female lead or supporting actress who, you suppose, according to the story line, is supposed to be beautiful, but you don't think she's all that pretty?

For me, Drew Barrymore is like a 6 or maybe a 7 from some angles, even at her youngest age. Julia Roberts at her Prime, when she did Pretty Woman, for me isn't so pretty, maybe a 7 or 8. She's really pretty from some angles, but not so much from others, IMO. It's the nose for both of them, especially Drew Berrymore.

I've also noticed that on some of the British TV shows, the female lead is supposed to be prettier than she is. Classic Dr. Who had some pretty assistants. But I read comments online that Alex Kingston who played River Song was supposed to be pretty, sexy, etc. She just seems sort of average. Maybe she's too matronly. I thought if Dr. Who was going to have a wife, why not someone more attractive? Karen Gillan who played Amy Pond on Dr. Who is pretty from some angles, IMO, but sort of average looking from other angles. I guess guys who are crazy about redheads like her. Jenna Louise Coleman is a pretty assistant, with a face in the 9-er range. The Doctor's last black assistant, Martha Jones, played by Freema Agyeman is also very pretty. I thought Billie Piper who played Rose was just a little bit attractive.
The most beautiful, attractive, and sexy people I've seen around and about in my life tend to be very young nobodies. Celebs in some countries, notably Latin American ones are often very hot too. Not so for Hollywood though IMO.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

I agree with Rock.

Fame is supposed to intoxicate you. Perhaps it works on some people. Not on me.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock are the two most overrated A-list actresses, who're not that special looking in any way. Sure, they're not unattractive but they aren't anywhere near a Raquel Welch or a Sophia Loren, the real top tier of Hollywood hotties. And yes, Julia's best outing was 'Pretty Woman' but never afterwards.

As for Dr Who companions, Karen Gillian/Amy Pond is all about her legs and being a fiery redhead. So from that perspective, she's rather hot.

Jenna Coleman is that pretty premed, gal-next-door, a Ms Know-It-All who's hounded by every guy in the applied sciences because she can't date boring frat types and douchebags; she needs a smart guy to throw her off. I can see a gal like her, falling for a genius like the Doctor. BTW. my 2nd GF in college was a lot like Jenna, in terms of her mental acuity but she was a 6-7, not an 8. Unfortunately, she was a bit messed in the head and later joined a cult.

River Song is at best, a 5.5, not even a 6. She needs both, a workout program and a less serious role for the series.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

I find this thread quite amusing because:

1) attractiveness (according to the aesthetical canons du jour) ranks quite low in the full of list of factors that determine her success. Being a method actor is more important, having versatile and more important is more important, having a good agent is more important. Hell, for what I know, even being Jewish is more important.

2) even considering beauty as the primary reason why an actress is (or should be) popular...it so happens that beauty isn't such a universal, objective, and scientifical statement as you guys want to make. Granted, all actresses are at least a 6, but a 7 for one could be a 9 for somebody else, and vice-versa, depending on personal tastes and preferences. Last but not least, let's not forget that we usually remember and mark an actress as our favourite after watching her on one, two, maximum three "iconic" roles. What would Winona Ryder be without being the "dazed and confused" Lelaina in Reality Bites? And can you think of Sophia Loren without all the movie where she portrays the quintessential Southern Italian woman, feminine and proud till the bitter end, a woman whose life hardship will bend but never crack?

One could say that the best actors and actresses are those whose outer beauty can be instantly recognised, and yet never gets too much in the way of the work needed to wrap around their character and storyline. IMHO Christian Bale and Charlize Theron are two of the finest actors ever lived precisely because of that. Their physical attractiveness is immense, but will only shine if and when the role demands it. In her prime, Charlize has been one of the most beautiful celebs ever. And yet, it's for her role as a battered homeless prostitute and serial killer (in Monster) that she won an Oscar.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 2nd, 2020, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Ghost wrote:There's no female actor in Hollyweird that I find attractive anymore. Probably because you can't have a female character in an action movie without being made into this absurd ass-kicking machine, being 90 lbs. and taking out 250 lb giants with ease. And that's not sexy. (It also makes the movie stupider.)
I know.

I liked Kathleen Turner in "Romancing The Stone" -- was that the 1980s? -- because she actually acted like a woman really acts. Not some kind of inter-gender hybrid.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

For me, Kathleen Turner was just a little bit pretty. She had kind of a stout build and too husky of a voice for my taste. Michelle Pfiffer was a good-looking lady from that era.

Something I didn't quite get was why Cindy Crawford was the top supermodel in 1990 or so. I mean, she was an attractive woman, but I could see women on the street with prettier faces in my own estimation.
Gadfly
Freshman Poster

Post by Gadfly »

Kathleen Turner didn't look terrible in the 80s. Appropriately enough, her career went south starting with a feminist detective movie called "V.I.Warshawski" (I never saw it). Then she got arthritis, became an alcoholic, and got fat. The funny thing is that she would be better suited to play that detective role now than she did back then.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

MrMan wrote:Something I didn't quite get was why Cindy Crawford was the top supermodel in 1990 or so. I mean, she was an attractive woman, but I could see women on the street with prettier faces in my own estimation.
Also, in addition to being just half a point above Julia Roberts in 'Pretty Woman', Cindy couldn't sing nor act but was allowed to sing at a few shows and she had several acting gigs. I have no idea why producers would have thrown so many potential pop/media star venues at Cindy and then continue to prop her up, when she was a failure at nearly everything besides smiling in front of a camera. I heard that she was book smart at college but we know that goes nowhere unless she was premed.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

AB discussion thread

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

MarcosZeitola wrote:Celebrities whose looks are overrated?

Every.

Single.

One.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
During the golden era of movies, there was Joan Collins, Liz Taylor, Raquel Welch, Brigitte Bardot, Sophia Loren, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, and others.

There's no gathering like that in today's generation which compares to yesteryear.

AB discussion thread

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 2nd, 2020, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Ghost wrote:Raquel Welch is something like 70 years old and still looks better than modern day Hollyweird starlets. :lol:
Raquel Welch is the wonder of the senior citizens of America. Forget those late fitness kings like Jack LaLanne or Paul Bragg. Those guys only looked ~60 at 70 but sure, LaLanne could swim like a monster, towing 70 boats for a mile, even at that age.

Raquel seems to be frozen in some late 40s/early 50s look for life.

AB discussion thread

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Funny someone mentioned Liz Taylor. I was going to say she was overrated for looks. Maybe a 7 possibly 8, IMO. Not Audrey Hepburn though. I think she looked great. I'm talking about them in their youth, of course, not when they were elderly.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

MrMan wrote:Funny someone mentioned Liz Taylor. I was going to say she was overrated for looks. Maybe a 7 possibly 8, IMO. Not Audrey Hepburn though. I think she looked great. I'm talking about them in their youth, of course, not when they were elderly.
Liz may perhaps be overrated by the standards of the rising starlets of her generation (I mean c'mon she's competing against some of the best of the bests), however, she easily trumps the undynamic duo of Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts, supposedly two of America's finest.

AB discussion thread