Who's living abroad?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Chrissays
Freshman Poster

Re: Who's living abroad?

Post by Chrissays »

How did zboy fail (or lose)? From the posts I read he's overall more happy in China than in the states and he has a better dating life..

Ghost just wrote a post about leaving the states again. Why would he go abroad (again) if he failed over there?

I guess I should define success abroad as in.. Living a better life abroad than in the states.
Chrissays
Freshman Poster

Post by Chrissays »

What the hell.. It sounds like going abroad for a better life is the same as a coin toss.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Chrissays wrote:How did zboy fail (or lose)? From the posts I read he's overall more happy in China than in the states and he has a better dating life..

Ghost just wrote a post about leaving the states again. Why would he go abroad (again) if he failed over there?

I guess I should define success abroad as in.. Living a better life abroad than in the states.
zboy is a racist against anyone not asia with a huge chip on his shoulder (and is communist which is why he likes china) who runs to asia to feel comfortable in his own skin and politics he had no success story there only in his mind. He had one girlfriend but it went down the drain after she went to america and saw how great life is while his broke ass is still trying to find a woman on his backpacker salary LOL. If you read closely he is a miserable asian dude with a chip on his shoulder and perpetually alone in china. Read between the lines. He only goes to asia cause he doesn't feel like an outsider but the end result is the same, hes been with his right hand most of the time and posting how he hates white people.

Ghost like the rest of us is a loser in america socially, so he figures he will have another shot since he has nothing to lose. He goes to latin america which is the worst spot to go for a guy who has failed already in asia. He may find a wife someday in china but he never got laid there before and who the heck wants to live in china forever seriously. I only look for a wife in a country where i either plan to live or i plan to import back to america. If he ever brings her back to america he will face the same dilemma as we all will, will she divorce us? its not an easy solutionf or any of us.
Last edited by newlifeinphilippines on January 30th, 2015, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrissays
Freshman Poster

Post by Chrissays »

Lol... Well, f**k it. I'm going to either China or Vietnam to teach some fuckn English. Better living life as a loser who blends in in Asia than a loser who sticks out in the states.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Chrissays wrote:Lol... Well, f**k it. I'm going to either China or Vietnam to teach some fuckn English. Better living life as a loser who blends in in Asia than a loser who sticks out in the states.

Yeah just dont be like the guys that pretend they have a sucess story when they really dont. Many here are pretending they are happier abroad but they haven't proven it.
Chrissays
Freshman Poster

Post by Chrissays »

If I fail over there, there's always a bullet I can take to the head.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Chrissays wrote:If I fail over there, there's always a bullet I can take to the head.

or you can do what i do, go back to america, regroup and save money and then go to a DIFFERENT country than the one you failed or got bored of. that way even if it fails at least you got to see a different coutnry. For example india is so radically different from PI. and my goal wont be women this time so that will help ease the pressure. But i hope i find wife material soemday. If your goal is only women then your setting a huge hurdle ahead of yourself. you should come for other reasons.
Signet
Freshman Poster

Post by Signet »

Chrissays wrote:What the hell.. It sounds like going abroad for a better life is the same as a coin toss.
Of course it's a coin toss. Every major change in your life is a coin toss. If you were offered triple what you currently make (whatever that is) to move somewhere else, it might seem like a slam dunk opportunity, but one of the worst points in the life of someone I know happened because of exactly that circumstance. There are no guarantees, and if you bide all your time waiting for the stars to align, well...you're probably never going to do anything. There's a reason why plot points in movies/books/etc. about stars aligning always use some absurd time scale (it only happens once every 4564 years!). It's because it almost never happens.

What you have to consider, is if what you have to lose is worth passing on the chance for better. It probably isn't going to come without a lot of work. Getting over the initial fear is a big thing, but it's unlikely to be the only obstacle you encounter. I'm not going to get into theories about conspiracies or malevolent deities trying to ruin your day, but it does seem like whenever you make a commitment to change your life, things large and small start falling against you. How much do you want it? Is what you have right now preferable? Maybe it is, but probably not. People whose lives are just an endless parade of awesome are unlikely to be looking into moving to other countries -- or if they are, they're probably not consulting a forum like this one. I'm not ragging on you, by the way. I'm in the same situation. A coin toss is likely to be in my favor, because I can't imagine a whole lot worse than the alternative.

Furthermore, the number that went abroad and are (seemingly) making good of it (at least as of their last update) and simply don't post here anymore isn't exactly trivial. Combing over old topics, there are a lot of people I'd like to ask questions to that don't seem to have been here for a year or more. There's no need to commiserate when you're happy with your life, and if you aren't wanting to give advice, or there's no one asking (and I don't feel like there's much advice asked for that isn't related to one of like, three countries), there's significantly less motivation to be here.
innovatorsclub
Freshman Poster

Post by innovatorsclub »

Question for Winston knowing you may ignore this logical question again:

do you still think that everyone deserves to learn the secret about overseas being better than inside the matrix>

lawyers and other undeserving/bad people like these crooked cops:

http://filmingcops.com/i-dropped-a-fcki ... lling-man/
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

newlifeinphilippines wrote: or you can do what i do, go back to america, regroup and save money and then go to a DIFFERENT country than the one you failed or got bored of. that way even if it fails at least you got to see a different coutnry. ...
.... If your goal is only women then your setting a huge hurdle ahead of yourself. you should come for other reasons.
This comment sounds very reasonable to me. I also tried first Malaysia, it did not really work out as expected, back to Europe, and finally gone a few years later to Japan.

When I left Europe in 1972 for the first time there was no internet, very few and expensive airlinks, no ATM-services etc. On the other side, only few men tried relocation to other continents. It was still something like an adventure.

It is difficult in some countries like Philippines to earn enough money for yourself, you often might face visa-related problems in countries like Thailand etc.

If you fail in one country, to move back to your Western country, recover financially and save some money up and try again somewhere else abroad is a good advice.

About women abroad, this really should be the last concern. First make sure, you yourself are OK, with proper visa, accomodation, income, health related issues etc. - Don't waste any money for poor girls in bars, do not fall in love (yellow fever) and help to buy land (which does not belong to you) for her poor parents etc. etc. - I met stupid men, who were thinking they have enough money for the rest of their life, and in less than 1 year they were back from where they came from, working as a taxi-driver, others could not live any longer with the idea to understand they made serious mistakes in their life... there are frequently cases known in Thailand about foreign men, who are drinking their last bottle of whiskey and jumping out of the window....
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Yohan wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote: or you can do what i do, go back to america, regroup and save money and then go to a DIFFERENT country than the one you failed or got bored of. that way even if it fails at least you got to see a different coutnry. ...
.... If your goal is only women then your setting a huge hurdle ahead of yourself. you should come for other reasons.
This comment sounds very reasonable to me. I also tried first Malaysia, it did not really work out as expected, back to Europe, and finally gone a few years later to Japan.

When I left Europe in 1972 for the first time there was no internet, very few and expensive airlinks, no ATM-services etc. On the other side, only few men tried relocation to other continents. It was still something like an adventure.

It is difficult in some countries like Philippines to earn enough money for yourself, you often might face visa-related problems in countries like Thailand etc.

If you fail in one country, to move back to your Western country, recover financially and save some money up and try again somewhere else abroad is a good advice.

About women abroad, this really should be the last concern. First make sure, you yourself are OK, with proper visa, accomodation, income, health related issues etc. - Don't waste any money for poor girls in bars, do not fall in love (yellow fever) and help to buy land (which does not belong to you) for her poor parents etc. etc. - I met stupid men, who were thinking they have enough money for the rest of their life, and in less than 1 year they were back from where they came from, working as a taxi-driver, others cannnot live any longer with the idea to understand they made serious mistakes in their life... there are frequent cases known in Thailand with foreign men, who are drinking their last bottle of whiskey and jumping out of the window....

seems like philippines is the only one that has easy visa laws for tourist. Thailand sort of but they make it a hassle now. Maybe some other countries if you want to stick a bunch of money in their banks or something but im not a fan of that?

For me its only philippines or america for living or long term vacationing. Id like to check out other countries though for sightseeing, culturization, adventure, and wife hunting, etc. Id like to visit india and possibly china and other southeastern countries someday if im bored but i wouldn't live in any of these but i may pick up a wife along the way ;)
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

I'm happier abroad. I'm 31 years old working as an English teacher. I left the U.S.A for India 3 years ago. I spent 7 months in northern India's Himalayan regions and 2 months in Nepal. Then, I ran out of money so I went to Taipei, Taiwan and found work as an English teacher. I stayed there for a year and 4 months and had an 8 month relationship with a Taiwanese girl. I then went back to India to continue my language studies. I stayed 3 months and 2 months in Nepal. Nearly ran out of money again and got seriously sick from some food poisoning. I then decided to give Thailand a try because I had been wanting to come here for a long time. After a week in Bangkok I quickly made my way to Chiang Mai. I love life here. It is honestly, for me, a great place to live with everything I need. I have a job teaching English at a government school and have had one short term thai gf and a couple of hook ups. I'm planning on staying here for another year at least. I am trying to be very careful here in regards to my actions so to avoid many of the pitfalls and traps of other expats.
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

newlifeinphilippines wrote: seems like philippines is the only one that has easy visa laws for tourist. Thailand sort of but they make it a hassle now. Maybe some other countries if you want to stick a bunch of money in their banks or something but im not a fan of that?
It is a big difference if you declare yourself as a tourist, or if you have the intention to earn money with legal employment in a country.
A tourist is not expected to work, but to show up with own money from abroad.

It depends on your citizenship, but most countries in Asia will accept you as a 'tourist' for up to 90 days, maximum up to 180 days, as a person living more than 6 months in the same place can hardly qualify as a tourist.

Some Asian countries are known to be lenient with visa permits, like Philippines and Cambodia, others are offering retirement visa like Thailand and Malaysia.

Some others are reluctant at the beginning, but are fairly open-minded if you have some job qualification and find some employment which requires a good experience, like Japan, it's not only about language teacher, but also technician, international hotel management/restaurants, import/export of goods etc.

You have to decide yourself what might fit you, there is no country which will fulfill just everything you are dreaming of.
Every country I know offers me something which I like, but also something which is not really good for me. Everywhere worldwide are advantages, but also disadvantages.

Japan is good to earn a regular income if you have some job qualification, offers an excellent medical insurance and it is located near to other Asian countries, it's a safe and clean place.
Thailand is good for retirement if you have a regular retirement allowance.
Philippines has nice people, no visa hassles, no language problems, but there is a certain issue existing about criminality and poverty. Cambodia is good if you are in visa troubles, as it will offer you 1 year business visa without much asking what you are doing there.

You have to find out which place fits you best...
Chrissays
Freshman Poster

Post by Chrissays »

@tamdrin

How is your status as an English teacher in Thailand? Out of all the asian countries I want to live in (and visit to for my description) are Vietnam, China, and Ph and Thailand. I think china would be best for the pay but overall location and satisfaction.. Probably Thailand or Vietnam.

Does being an English teacher in Thailand put you on par with other educated Thai locals? Or are english teachers seen as.. Something else..
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

tamdrin12 wrote:I'm happier abroad. I'm 31 years old working as an English teacher. I left the U.S.A for India 3 years ago. I spent 7 months in northern India's Himalayan regions and 2 months in Nepal. Then, I ran out of money so I went to Taipei, Taiwan and found work as an English teacher. I stayed there for a year and 4 months and had an 8 month relationship with a Taiwanese girl. I then went back to India to continue my language studies. I stayed 3 months and 2 months in Nepal. Nearly ran out of money again and got seriously sick from some food poisoning. I then decided to give Thailand a try because I had been wanting to come here for a long time. After a week in Bangkok I quickly made my way to Chiang Mai. I love life here. It is honestly, for me, a great place to live with everything I need. I have a job teaching English at a government school and have had one short term thai gf and a couple of hook ups. I'm planning on staying here for another year at least. I am trying to be very careful here in regards to my actions so to avoid many of the pitfalls and traps of other expats.

Explain to me why you like it? You say you like it but you like most posters dont give an actual REASONS that make sense to me. which means its most likely delusional or saving face on the issue to explain why they aren't in america. In fact you complained more about bangkok and thailand than I would have in your other thread and I dont even like living in philippines and thailand is far better place to live than phil. Alot of posters here have the "zboy" syndrome where the reason they are happy is cause of inferiority complex or some other issue from childhood not cause they are actually better off or happier abroad.