Machismo culture in Latin America

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Machismo culture in Latin America

Post by MattHanson1990 »

So last night when I was checking through my messages on Facebook, I stumbled across a message from a man in a cowboy hat I got last month and he said "stay away from my girl or you're going to have problems you f***ing a**hole". And now I can see why one of the girls I met in Juarez blocked me.

Machismo culture is rampant across Latin America, and many of the local men in those countries don't treat the women right. So for those of you who have dated Latin American women, did you have to act macho to get dates in countries like Mexico or Costa Rica or did you get dates just by being your authentic selves?

One of the guys I met on couchsurfing, he lives in Juarez but works in El Paso, told me simply to not be too nice to the girl. But I wonder if that means I should act macho. Would one have to be controlling and abusive to get women in Latin America?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

chibolo
Junior Poster

Re: Machismo culture in Latin America

Post by chibolo »

MattHanson1990 wrote: One of the guys I met on couchsurfing, he lives in Juarez but works in El Paso, told me simply to not be too nice to the girl. But I wonder if that means I should act macho. Would one have to be controlling and abusive to get women in Latin America?
Absolutely not. In fact it is one of the reasons why many latinas like gringos/foreigners, because they think we are less "machista" than local guys. I lived in Peru and yes, it is somewhat true that many guys there are machista: they think it is ok to cheat on their women, think it is ok to hit them when angry, are extremely controlling and jealous, etc. Of course not all the guys there are like that (plenty of shy nerdy Peruvians too), but yeah many are.