Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

The stupidity of tipping and gratuity customs in America

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Voyager1
Junior Poster

Re: The stupidity of tipping and gratuity customs in America

Post by Voyager1 » October 9th, 2016, 3:55 pm

I do not like to tip much where I'm from. I've left a tip then gotten a dirty look or not a thank you because the tip wasn't big enough. For that reason I just go to all you can eat buffets where you can get away with not tipping much or at all.

Here in Ukraine tipping is optional but even a small tip is appreciated.

Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!

josephty2
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty2 » January 7th, 2019, 4:14 am

In vietnam tipping isn't really a thing. Otherwise they would raise the prices if they want more money.

Mercury
Freshman Poster

Post by Mercury » January 11th, 2019, 9:21 pm

If America had the same kind of culture as, say, the Philippines and you went even to Hooters often and got a waitress (Hooters girl) that really liked you and served you often, you could be in her car and on your way to the closest Six Flags theme park; yes, even possibly Disney World or Busch Gardens, in as little as 3 months.

As it is, in fact, an American waitress while she is waitressing can be one of the sweetest people you ever met. But when she gets into a different field of work, she often becomes a restraining order waiting to happen. Same thing with bartenders. Even when they are waitressing, they make like it's a capital felony under Federal law for a waitress to even take her favorite common customer out for lunch, to a county fair, or anywhere.

Complicating it further, most waitresses are transients that are about to move 3 million miles or more again within the next few months. Even if she is absolutely bent on taking you out for lunch on your birthday, after she moves, you'll be lucky if she even has the energy to travel that enormous distance and take you out for lunch even 30 or 45 years later. In other words, if you are 25 and your favorite waitress just moved long distance but wants to take you for lunch on your birthday, you'll even be lucky if she can travel all the way back to your city of residence and take you out for lunch on your 70th, possibly even your 80th birthday!