Immigrants in the workplace

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
statnerd
Freshman Poster

Immigrants in the workplace

Post by statnerd »

I work with several people who have immigrated to the U.S. from other countries - Mexico, some African countries, Vietnam, Philippines, and a couple of guys from India.

I've always gotten along with them much easier than the native-born Americans. The people from other countries are down to Earth and genuine, whereas the ones born in the U.S. tend to be rude and fake. The native-born Americans also are more into playing games and trying to get people who they don't like fired, whereas the ones from other countries aren't into creating drama as much.

It's the first job I've had like it, and in addition to several pleasant trips I've made to Asia, it makes me more inclined to move abroad.
TD-40
Freshman Poster

Re: Immigrants in the workplace

Post by TD-40 »

There are just as many problems from the communication and cultural differences so I am happy for you if you don't have those.
statnerd
Freshman Poster

Post by statnerd »

TD-40 wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 9:38 pm
There are just as many problems from the communication and cultural differences so I am happy for you if you don't have those.
They can speak English well enough to get their point across, but many of them write at a 6th grade level. It's not a big deal though. As far as the cultural differences go, they haven't been a problem. They enjoy talking about their home countries if you ask them.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

statnerd wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 3:16 am
They can speak English well enough to get their point across, but many of them write at a 6th grade level.
That's probably why you get on with them.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

It's something I noticed in a lot of cases, myself. It's just not in a lot of cultures to be that way that you see the born-here ones doing. Ever notice how insular/insulated America is? How hysterical they are about violence/safety/fighting/etc...? I think a lot of it has to do with the simple reason that people can & do get the shit beat out of them for acting that way over there & it helps keep things from getting that way, on top of it being an alignment in the first place.