Are any professions respected?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Are any professions respected?

Post by Cornfed »

It seems that every previously respected profession has disgraced itself. Everyone has hated lawyers for a while, but now doctors, scientists, journalists, broadcasters, actors, police etc. are all rightfully regarded as the detestable scum of the earth. Are there still non-scum professions?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: Are any professions respected?

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

I have no idea! :D
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Cornfed wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 5:25 pm
It seems that every previously respected profession has disgraced itself. Everyone has hated lawyers for a while, but now doctors, scientists, journalists, broadcasters, actors, police etc. are all rightfully regarded as the detestable scum of the earth. Are there still non-scum professions?
What about firefighters? This is a profession I'm aiming towards in the future once I can get my physical fitness in top condition. But you make some valid points about these other professions. I can't refute your logic on this topic. Good thread.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 5:49 pm
What about firefighters?
I think some people still respect them, even though in many places they are largely useless social parasites and affirmative action hires.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Cornfed wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 5:52 pm
Pixel--Dude wrote:
What about firefighters?
I think some people still respect them, even though in many places they are largely useless social parasites and affirmative action hires.
I don't have a problem with firefighters. You've seen my threads on capitalism and the proletariat work ethic etc. There aren't many jobs I consider worth doing. I've done scaffolding and enjoy it because it's working outside and keeps me fit. Thought about working as a firefighter because I think helping people is a worthwhile profession and I wouldn't consider the police or national health service for reasons we are both aware of.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 5:56 pm
I don't have a problem with firefighters. You've seen my threads on capitalism and the proletariat work ethic etc. There aren't many jobs I consider worth doing. I've done scaffolding and enjoy it because it's working outside and keeps me fit. Thought about working as a firefighter because I think helping people is a worthwhile profession and I wouldn't consider the police or national health service for reasons we are both aware of.
Yes, fireman is probably one of the least worst options.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Cornfed wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 5:58 pm
Pixel--Dude wrote:
Yes, fireman is probably one of the least worst options.
What about you? Which profession would you consider? Martial arts instructor? Teaching self defence is a pretty respectable profession.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 6:00 pm
What about you? Which profession would you consider? Martial arts instructor? Teaching self defence is a pretty respectable profession.
I'm too old for a new profession. Judging from YouTube, martial arts instructors are a bit of a joke and widely regarded as such. More so for self defence instructors.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Civil engineering -- the only profession that is bullshit-proof. The buildings and bridges either stand up or they don't and God help us if that profession goes woke.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Cornfed wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 6:05 pm
Pixel--Dude wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 6:00 pm
I'm too old for a new profession. Judging from YouTube, martial arts instructors are a bit of a joke and widely regarded as such. More so for self defence instructors.
Yeah, most TMA and self-defense schools are a joke!

I used to teach no-gi grappling classes but it was just for some extra income and not enough to make a full-time living. It was still really fun though.

Do you think that it would be feasible to make enough money running a legitimate martial arts school in the right location or do you think that it's mainly just the McDojos that make a good buck?

I've heard success stories of martial arts instructors lining their pockets through McDojo practices aimed at kids and their parents. One guy who I used to know personally became a millionaire through renting out the rooms at his Dojo to other martial arts instructors offering classes in different styles such as Karate, Kickboxing, Taekwondo, Jujutsu, Iaido, etc. (the classes were all terrible except for the Vale Tudo classes taught down in the basement) and at the same time printing and selling t-shirts related to his organization. It sounds like he had a good business model. Now he has Dojos all over the place.

Ideally, I'd like to make money teaching legitimate martial arts classes. But I can't help but notice that in the martial arts world the fastest way to make bank seems to be by being a bullshit artist. Sad but true.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Pixel--Dude wrote:
What about firefighters?
You're a dummy, you should see how much taxes went up in my town after the fire department got their new fire house along with all the other perks the city workers voted for themselves. capitalism? You're a super dummy, what capitalism? That's all just a con put on by the people who have created this financial system and taken the world over.
Time to Hide!
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Moretorque wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 7:10 pm
Pixel--Dude wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Pixel--Dude wrote:
What about firefighters?
You're a dummy, you should see how much taxes went up in my town after the fire department got their new fire house along with all the other perks the city workers voted for themselves. capitalism? You're a super dummy, what capitalism? That's all just a con put on by the people who have created this financial system and taken the world over.
What are you talking about? I know capitalism is a con. I made several threads about this already. You commented in one of them even!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

OK then I am the dummy...
Time to Hide!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 6:34 pm
Civil engineering -- the only profession that is bullshit-proof. The buildings and bridges either stand up or they don't and God help us if that profession goes woke.
Didn't Commiefornia spend a lot of money trying to build a high speed rail line only to give up? Remember that female built overhead walkway collapsing?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Nothing good is respected by modern culture. If you want the respect of modern scum, try this approach: