Anti-Camping, Anti-Pet, Anti-Outdoor Cultures?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
ArchibaultNew
Freshman Poster

Anti-Camping, Anti-Pet, Anti-Outdoor Cultures?

Post by ArchibaultNew »

Hey guys,
I notice Anglos and some Nordics like the whole camping and living "outdoors" since they want to get away from the cities. However, in some cultures this is seem as weird wanting to get "closer to nature." Instead, people want to live in the Big cities. In fact, some people find the whole "living in nature" odd.

I wanted to hear more about this and which cultures might be more city heavy.
Outcast9428
Experienced Poster

Re: Anti-Camping, Anti-Pet, Anti-Outdoor Cultures?

Post by Outcast9428 »

I don’t really resonate with either one. I’m very much a suburban person. A fairly woodsy suburb is where I feel most comfortable.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

ArchibaultNew wrote:
April 19th, 2023, 7:20 pm
Hey guys,
I notice Anglos and some Nordics like the whole camping and living "outdoors" since they want to get away from the cities. However, in some cultures this is seem as weird wanting to get "closer to nature." Instead, people want to live in the Big cities. In fact, some people find the whole "living in nature" odd.

I much prefer living in the country over living in a concrete jungle. The quiet life in the countryside might have less conveniences like less frequent transport, but I don't give a shit about such things anyway, I much prefer the serenity of walking through a nearby forest to the hustle and bustle of a busy city.

I think humanity is making a more conceited effort to move farther away from nature. Look how many people, even in the countryside, replace flowers and gardens with plastic turf and vile looking plastic flowers. Humanity erroneously believes we are above nature, but we are inexorably tied to it and this cannot be changed.

Personally, I love nature. I love animals and different plants and flowers. I think nature has a beautiful aesthetic and can help calm the mind. I was in a plant shop the other day and the air in there felt so clean! I like camping, even though I haven't been for a long time. Last time I went camping I took a load of mushrooms :mrgreen:
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
peregrino
Freshman Poster

Post by peregrino »

I'm jealous of people who can live in a small town, raise their kids, and still be close to all their family and friends.

As a single man in America, small town living is just not an option for me unless I accept being celibate for the rest of my life.
ArchibaultNew
Freshman Poster

Post by ArchibaultNew »

Most of you guys sounds "too conservative" for me. Both rural and suburban have unpleasant and rigid people. Who are deeply religious. Although a walkable suburb/city type might be ideal. But still, Big City are great.
peregrino
Freshman Poster

Post by peregrino »

The average American who's married and has a clique doesn't need to meet anyone new, so the rigid vibe of suburbs and small towns is perfect for them. That's why I was saying it couldn't work for me, unless I accept being single for life.

If you want an "anti-outdoors" culture, I can only think of Dubai. I also read that Muslims aren't big on keeping pets, but I'm not sure how true that is.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

ArchibaultNew wrote:
April 21st, 2023, 9:52 am
Most of you guys sounds "too conservative" for me. Both rural and suburban have unpleasant and rigid people. Who are deeply religious. Although a walkable suburb/city type might be ideal. But still, Big City are great.
I also generally prefer decent-sized cities as a place to live since they offer opportunities to meet interesting people as well as more things to do but only if they are liveable, aesthetically pleasing and non-stressful. A lot of Continental European cities are like this including my beloved Valencia.

However, if we are talking about overcrowded and stressful cities or hideous grey concrete jungles like you tend to find in the UK and East Asia, then the benefits of city life would be most likely eclipsed by the negative factors and, in that case, I'd prefer a decent-sized town. The tranquility and proximity to nature would beat the stress and ugliness of such a bad city.

In the UK, I live in a town with a population of 14,000 and surrounded by woodlands. I absolutely can't stand British cities. They are so ugly and have bad vibes. Even though my town is relatively boring and uneventful, it's still preferable to any of the nearby cities. At least I can take a stroll through the woods whenever I want and enjoy the fresh air and not have to deal with heavy traffic or be surrounded by hideous grey dystopian buildings.

But my town isn't my ideal. I'd much rather live in one of the nicer Spanish or Latin American cities where I can meet exotic women, make new friends, explore interesting locations, and enjoy access to a more varied range of activities.
ArchibaultNew
Freshman Poster

Post by ArchibaultNew »

peregrino wrote:
April 21st, 2023, 5:43 pm
The average American who's married and has a clique doesn't need to meet anyone new, so the rigid vibe of suburbs and small towns is perfect for them. That's why I was saying it couldn't work for me, unless I accept being single for life.

If you want an "anti-outdoors" culture, I can only think of Dubai. I also read that Muslims aren't big on keeping pets, but I'm not sure how true that is.
Middle Eastern Culture has a few interesting ideas like the whole not big on pets, more into big cities, anti-outdoors.
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty2 »

ArchibaultNew wrote:
April 19th, 2023, 7:20 pm
Hey guys,

A lot of 1900s immigrants to America who went through Ellis island might be anti-camping (though white immigrants are usually not anti-pet)

Now in 2023 that the American dream now is different than before, not necessarily non-existent though much less possible, perhaps those immigrating to Canada, China, or even smaller countries like Japan, S. Korea, western Europe might be more likely harboring this (anti-camping, anti-pet, anti-hiking) culture.
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.