Friend groups that have the “scapegoat” friend

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Tamingstrange
Freshman Poster

Friend groups that have the “scapegoat” friend

Post by Tamingstrange »

Has anyone noticed that when it comes to friend groups in America, the group always has to have the scapegoat or “whooping boy?” The the one person that they all tease ridicule and make fun off? Often times it’s not done in a light hearted way either. It seems as though the sole reason they have they person around is for their own amusement and so they can feel better about themselves. I’ve had the experience of being on the receiving end of this a few times throughout my life and it’s terrible. You’re being ganged up on, you’re not being treated as an equal. Yet you say anything about it, you are told that you are a thin skinned p***y that can’t take it, so you are the problem.

I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t sound normal, friends don’t treat you that way. Yet it seems to to be normal in America. In fact a lot of them will straight say that every friend group needs that one guy to rip on.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Friend groups that have the “scapegoat” friend

Post by yick »

Find new friends I would have thought, they're not your friends though I have seen this in real life within American friendship groups, very strange.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Friend groups that have the “scapegoat” friend

Post by MrMan »

Tamingstrange wrote:
December 6th, 2023, 11:48 am
Has anyone noticed that when it comes to friend groups in America, the group always has to have the scapegoat or “whooping boy?” The the one person that they all tease ridicule and make fun off? Often times it’s not done in a light hearted way either. It seems as though the sole reason they have they person around is for their own amusement and so they can feel better about themselves. I’ve had the experience of being on the receiving end of this a few times throughout my life and it’s terrible. You’re being ganged up on, you’re not being treated as an equal. Yet you say anything about it, you are told that you are a thin skinned p***y that can’t take it, so you are the problem.

I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t sound normal, friends don’t treat you that way. Yet it seems to to be normal in America. In fact a lot of them will straight say that every friend group needs that one guy to rip on.
I might have seen this a big when I was a teenager, usually one of the younger ones in a group of teens when they are doing some organized activity. I don't know that I have seen it in a friend group per se. It does seem to be a TV or movie trope.

This topic reminds me of a video I saw on YouTube many years ago before there was as much content, about how these guys woke up one of the guys they roomed with in the morning. He slept on the couch. One guy would fart in his face to wake him up every morning and showed clip after clip of farts. It was nasty. But I thought why would that guy put up with it. He didn't seem angry. He just took it.

But if you are experiencing that, the advice to get another group of friends to hang around with might be good advice. It would be better to hang around with nerds that respect you than with popular jocks who get A's who stick your head in the toilet.