Hostile Architecture

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Hostile Architecture

Post by yick »

Pixel and Lucas talk about living in the UK a lot and how they would prefer it abroad and especially Latin America (which doesn't have this problem of hostile architecture nor does Spain...) and I have found the rise of 'hostile architecture' to be on the rise in the UK which makes going out unpleasant - park benches are very uncomfortable and that's if you can find one because even in the local park near my dad's house - there aren't that many :lol: but in the UK and especially in the more urban areas - hostile architecture is everywhere and even though it is a low level intimidatory tactic, it works and makes people worse and a lot more anti-social - yes, the weather is part of it but when you go out in the UK - you are faced with such monstrosities as this. They are making it clear in places like the UK that you're not welcome to enjoy outdoor urban living and to piss off back inside your house as soon as you are done buying things and going to work. A lot of native Brits feel alienated by this social phenomenon which is why 5 million Brits live outside of the UK - because it is shit but it has a depressing, hostile, anti social culture.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: Hostile Architecture

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

yick wrote:
March 4th, 2024, 5:15 pm
Pixel and Lucas talk about living in the UK a lot and how they would prefer it abroad and especially Latin America (which doesn't have this problem of hostile architecture nor does Spain...) and I have found the rise of 'hostile architecture' to be on the rise in the UK which makes going out unpleasant - park benches are very uncomfortable and that's if you can find one because even in the local park near my dad's house - there aren't that many :lol: but in the UK and especially in the more urban areas - hostile architecture is everywhere and even though it is a low level intimidatory tactic, it works and makes people worse and a lot more anti-social - yes, the weather is part of it but when you go out in the UK - you are faced with such monstrosities as this. They are making it clear in places like the UK that you're not welcome to enjoy outdoor urban living and to piss off back inside your house as soon as you are done buying things and going to work. A lot of native Brits feel alienated by this social phenomenon which is why 5 million Brits live outside of the UK - because it is shit but it has a depressing, hostile, anti social culture.
It's same thing in New York City with its own hostile architecture campaign with no benches inside a giant train station, weird, winding, pointy benches so the homeless can't sleep on it, etc. In addition, "hostile to your soul" American architecture has been prevalent since the 1950's.
You think architecture in the UK is bad, then Behold....Check out American architecture. This is copy and paste "suburb" architecture all across America. You will see exactly the same sh*t with slightly different variations all across the country. It makes you feel you are in the Matrix.

Exhibit A - American Strip Mall 1

Exhibit B - American Strip Mall 2

Exhibit C - American Big Box Retail store

Exhibit D - American suburban home

Exhibit E - Ordinary American suburb 1

Exhibit F - Ordinary American suburb 2
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

I think a lot of it comes from America and this is probably why people aren't happy there - I think it is a lot worse in America though than it is in the UK, I had a mate who was in some US suburbia for some reason and wanted a pint of milk and wanted to walk to the shops, so he went off to find the shops - there was nowhere for him to walk as in a pavement (or sidewalk) once he got out of the actual bit where the houses were and after a mile or two a patrol car stopped him and asked him why he was walking? :lol: he said he was looking for the shops and they noted he was British and said that someone called them and saw a man walking around and they don't see that all that often around there - it's really a horrible low, level dystopian culture that is going to do nothing but make people depressed and angry - the UK is getting like that - if you want to go to a retail park (where most shops are setting up these days as they leave the town centres) and you really need a car to get to them - it is to stop smackheads robbing them but try getting to one on foot! It is murder and it's all done to let you know that they don't want you wandering around enjoying outside and life and fresh air - get in your car, get in your house and f***ing stay there - what do you need a park bench for that's comfortable? :lol: What do you think this is? Uruguay!
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

yick wrote:
March 4th, 2024, 8:57 pm
I think a lot of it comes from America and this is probably why people aren't happy there - I think it is a lot worse in America though than it is in the UK, I had a mate who was in some US suburbia for some reason and wanted a pint of milk and wanted to walk to the shops, so he went off to find the shops - there was nowhere for him to walk as in a pavement (or sidewalk) once he got out of the actual bit where the houses were and after a mile or two a patrol car stopped him and asked him why he was walking? :lol: he said he was looking for the shops and they noted he was British and said that someone called them and saw a man walking around and they don't see that all that often around there - it's really a horrible low, level dystopian culture that is going to do nothing but make people depressed and angry - the UK is getting like that - if you want to go to a retail park (where most shops are setting up these days as they leave the town centres) and you really need a car to get to them - it is to stop smackheads robbing them but try getting to one on foot! It is murder and it's all done to let you know that they don't want you wandering around enjoying outside and life and fresh air - get in your car, get in your house and f***ing stay there - what do you need a park bench for that's comfortable? :lol: What do you think this is? Uruguay!
The Police in the U.S are very aggressive and paranoid compare to cops in the UK. That's why you see that often in the U.S with excessive use of force and random police brutality every single week in the African American areas. Unlike the UK, the police academy training duration is highly varied state by state, city by city, and town by town. The average duration of training ranges from 3 months to 6 months, only a High school diploma, have to be age of 21, have to have U.S citizenship, and military experience is a plus. :lol: :?

I heard the average police training in Europe is 3 years? in Germany? I don't know about the UK, but police there seems more professional compared to our overly aggressive Power Rangers in America. End up costing the city more money because of the surviving recipient of police brutality end up filing a lawsuit against the city for compensation for medical bills and other damages.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!