Where to Go if This Forum Closes?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
rudder
Junior Poster

Where to Go if This Forum Closes?

Post by rudder »

I've had some good forums come and go over the years and often shut down with basically no heads-up.

Some real gems like:
PUA Hate
Monkey and Me forum
Mullet talk
Knick knack corner
Community callgirl
Rent my daughter forum
Tsar's blog
Billybongs billabong
Pterodactyl Talk
Share My Penny Collection
etc.

So what happens if Happier Abroad goes down? Do we have a backup plan? Are you going to start a reddit subforum? Where will we all go to keep up the conversation?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Where to Go if This Forum Closes?

Post by Yohan »

A good question, to have a small backup forum you can contact, if this forum fails. However I think, Reddit is not good at all. It's not really a forum, more a place to ask a single question or to start a thread with a single topic.

Better and similar to this forum is maybe

https://www.forumotion.com

Everybody can create a little forum for free.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Quick! Better come up with a solution quick. This forum is circling the drain.

Cornfed - Gone
William Smith - Gone
Kangarunner - Gone
That one guy with a panda avatar who used to have a china blog - Gone
Natural Born Cynic - Gone

Who's left? Yohan, Publicduende? and then a bunch of people that only talk about how everyone else sucks who isn't a native american, a buddist, Qi Gong practitioner, or some other such navel gazer.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

rudder wrote:
April 8th, 2024, 7:14 pm
Natural Born Cynic - Gone
No one on this forum would stand up to him but I stood up to him. Oh yeah Yohan did a good job in countering his erroneous claims about the war on Ukraine.

When he started to celebrate the deaths of Ukrainian soldiers that's where he crossed the line for me. I told him to get the F out of the forum, not permanently but for a few days so he could cool off.

My word is not binding anyway. He's not banned and he can come back at any time.

The thing about NBC is that he can dish it out but certainly doesn't want to take it.

I just received a warning on my account from Winston for a thread I created. PD did a full investigation at the time and didn't find me guilty of any wrong doing.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Voyager1 wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 9:40 am
No one on this forum would stand up to him but I stood up to him. Oh yeah Yohan did a good job in countering his erroneous claims about the war on Ukraine.
He's not banned and he can come back at any time.

The thing about NBC is that he can dish it out but certainly doesn't want to take it.
True, he is not banned - there was never a reason to consider that as far as I know. He is free to come back anytime to this forum.

NBC is a Korean living in USA, and I am from Europe living in Japan - He and I made a lot of friendly comments/dialogs to each other and surprisingly we agreed on many issues related to Japan/South Korea/North Korea.

I regret that he is not here anymore to discuss about any topic regarding the Far East Asia region with me.

Koreans have a strong tendency to become angry, it can be explained with their mentality. I tried to argue with him, telling him to stay and not to leave, but I think he is gone now.

-------------------------

I never understood however why he was so Russian friendly, looking back in history, his native South Korea would not even exist, if Russia could decide it after WWII and the Korean War. It was USA which made it possible for South Korea to exist up to today.

Many of his comments tried to justify the Russian invasion with 'Jews' - he saw Jews everywhere, but not everybody in Ukraine (or in USA too) is a Jew. Stay realistic please.

I felt he was somehow misguided, brainwashed by Russian propaganda.

About Ukraine he was exaggerating Russian combat ability a lot, expecting Russia to occupy all Ukraine within a few days, and with no word he ever said Russia is doing something which is plainly wrong. Russia is still facing resistance in Ukraine, many Russian young men died in combat and for what? Damages are not only horrible in Ukraine, but also Russian facilities, Russian military related materials etc. are now destroyed, Russia also lost huge money - who can deny this? And the claim that Ukraine is a danger, a security risk for Russia is plainly ridiculous, just look at a map how large Russia is and how little is Ukraine compared to it.

I also told him, that everybody who had something to do with Russia in the past - like Ukrainian citizens, but also people who remember well Russian occupation in Europe past WWII as I myself, or Russian attempts to enter Japan after Japan surrendered already to USA etc. - prefer to keep a relationship with Russia to the bare minimum level. - But he did not listen to me.

I remember still a little the Russian occupation of Eastern Austria, I also see Russia how it is reacting facing Japan nowadays - and surely I can say, the Russian government is not a friendly country you can trust - not in Europe, not in Far East Asia.

Russia cannot lose the war in Ukraine, Russia is simply said too large - Ukraine alone is by far too weak to defend itself against Russia - however it should be possible, with the help of European countries, USA and others like Japan and Australia to stop this invasion and to force Russia to move back to their own large country.

Just my opinion...
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

I have a WhatsApp group with PixelDude, Lucas, and MarcosZ, some of the best members who are still active in here. I also chat with Winston on WA every now and then.

So long I can stay in touch with some of the members I like and respect, I don't think I will miss HA as a forum. Plus, the (now) intermittent slowness of the forum is not helping keeping the posting going.

Surely HA has seen better times. If Winston doesn't want to do something proactive to revive it, it will slowly but surely become a dumpster fire of "navel gazers", trolls and eccentric people with little to contribute to the HA agenda.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

The Israel/Iran war that just started this month is the start of world war 3. They can't have a world war going on with Internet access. The internet is going get turned off, it will probably happen this year in most countries. That's why Elon Musk has a satellite internet company. To answer your question, none of the forums will be working.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

publicduende wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 7:03 pm
So long I can stay in touch with some of the members I like and respect, I don't think I will miss HA as a forum.
I think I came to this forum in either 2020 or 2021. It's been interesting to observe some of the forum members. Most long-term active contributors seem to be intelligent, truth-seeking, open-minded but not without seeing through BS.

I've probably posted things on here that pissed people off.

I will say this: In the 3+ years of reading intelligent, thoughtful posts from others here, I've become a better independent thinker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.