Winston vs Taiwanese/E Asians: Differences and Similarities

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock, Momopi,

Here is a computer translated Chinese version of my comparison chart. I plan to print it out to show my Taiwanese relatives.

What do you think? Is it understandable at least?

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... Asians.pdf
Last edited by Winston on October 7th, 2012, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Rock, Momopi,

Here is a computer translated Chinese version of my comparison chart. I plan to print it out to show my Taiwanese relatives.

From what you've told me so far about your relatives, I advise against sending it to them. They're just going to think you have too much time on your hands and probably ostracize you behind your back. I mean, the whole tone of your comparison is that your way is much better than theirs.

And who told you that Taiwanese like dogs and hate cats. You say that applies to 99%? No way. I know plenty of people who prefer cats, like both, or like neither. Years ago, I saw a rural dude in Tainan catching dogs to sell to people as food. And I also remember stands that sold dog meat in several places such as Chungli. Dog meat is supposed to help you keep warm in the winter.
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

Winston why are you so hung up on what your relatives think?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock wrote:

From what you've told me so far about your relatives, I advise against sending it to them. They're just going to think you have too much time on your hands and probably ostracize you behind your back. I mean, the whole tone of your comparison is that your way is much better than theirs.

And who told you that Taiwanese like dogs and hate cats. You say that applies to 99%? No way. I know plenty of people who prefer cats, like both, or like neither. Years ago, I saw a rural dude in Tainan catching dogs to sell to people as food. And I also remember stands that sold dog meat in several places such as Chungli. Dog meat is supposed to help you keep warm in the winter.
Maybe not 99 percent. But most Taiwanese prefer dogs over cats as pets. Everyone knows that. That is common knowledge. You can ask your girlfriend about it.

There is a general preference for sure. Why deny it?

It's even mentioned on websites about Asian culture.
Last edited by Winston on October 7th, 2012, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Winston vs Taiwanese/Chinese: Differences and Similariti

Post by Winston »

globetrotter wrote:
Winston wrote:Hi all,
I just composed a one page chart of differences and similarities I have with typical average Taiwanese and Chinese people. I put it in columns though, which would not show up on a standard webpage by MS Word, so I outputted it into a PDF file. Check it out.

http://www.happierabroad.com/Winston_vs_Asians.pdf

So are you guys more like me, more like them, or somewhere in between?
Winston you are an American with Taiwanese parents. You are not Chinese and your behaviour and preferences and personality support that conclusion.

Only in the USA is background assayed based upon ethnicity and where your ancestors came from in the distant past.
True. I also don't have a Chinese/Taiwanese soul either. I never felt like I had. Maybe Taiwanese sense that I am like a "fraud" in that I have a Taiwanese face but not a Taiwanese soul or vibe or personality at all. lol

You know, in Berkeley this psychic I went to said that I was an American in one of my past lives. During the Korean War, I was taken prisoner by the Chinese and tortured in Chinese prison until death. I died with a deep hatred for Chinese people in that life. So I became one to work out the karma of my hatred for them. She said my name in that lifetime was Joe Sammons.

Of course, this is unprovable either way. But maybe I'll try to someday look up that name. There are many stories where people with past life memories actually verify the details of their memories as being historically accurate. Some of these stories are too compelling to ignore.

In any case, it's not just about growing up in America. Some ABC's who grew up in the US claim to have a Chinese soul.

For example, the tennis player Michael Chang, who reached as high as #2 in pro tennis rankings, said that he is 100 percent Chinese.

And Janet Hsieh, host of the Travel Channel's "Taiwan Fun" series, grew up in Texas, yet she says she is 100 percent Taiwanese and feels the most at home in Taiwan.

So what makes some ABC's have Chinese souls and others not?
Last edited by Winston on October 7th, 2012, 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Pretty rough, but readable.

Commenting on the food thing, I'd be obvious to say that people in China eat Chinese food every day, in Korea they eat Korean food every day, in Japan they eat Japanese food every day, in Vietnam they eat Vietnamese food every day, and so on. But that would be disregarding the wide variety of regional cuisine differences, i.e. Phở vs. Bún bò Huế.

Also, if you walk around cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Singapore, etc., you'd find burger joints, fried chicken, pizza, etc. everywhere. Somewhere in-between local food and imported food, you have fusion dishes adopted to suit local tastes, such as Costco Taiwan's Peking Duck pizza, and Mos Burger's rice burger.

p.s. Can't speak for others, but my family is from TW and we kept a total of 4 cats over the years. Our last cat was a large maine coon. My cousins also keep both dogs and cats (and fish and rabbit and...), and 2 of my aunts keep cats. If you can't be home every day, I'd suggest maybe a beta, they can go without food for 3-4 days.