Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

For Asian-American Couples, a Tie That Binds

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby zboy1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:23 am

Interesting article from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/fashi ... -race.html

Ann Liu, 33, a Taiwanese-American human resources coordinator in San Francisco, had a similar experience. She never imagined that an Asian-American husband was in the cards. Because she had never dated an Asian man before, her friends tried to discourage Stephen Arboleda, a Filipino-American engineer, when he asked whether she was single. “She only dates white guys,â€￾ they warned.

But Mr. Arboleda, 33, was undeterred. “I’m going to change that,â€￾ he told them.

By then, Ms. Liu was ready for a change. She said she had grown increasingly uncomfortable with dating white men who dated only Asian-American women. “It’s like they have an Asian fetish,â€￾ she said. “I felt like I was more like this ‘concept.’ They couldn’t really understand me as a person completely.â€￾

Basically, the article is describing an increasingly number of Asian American women marrying Asian men--even among Asian American women that have only dated White Men exclusively. It seems that Asian American women want to be with someone that shares their culture and traditions when they start a family. Interesting....
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Falcon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:02 am

It's somewhat upsetting that journalists would even have to write an article proclaiming, "Wow! Asian-American women are now marrying Asian men!" (as if the "problem" were getting better)

It is a feeling that has come as something of a surprise to some young Asian-American women who had grown so comfortable with interracial dating that they began to assume that they would end up with white husbands. ...

Ms. Le said she was a bit wary of Asian-American men who wanted their wives to handle all the cooking, child rearing and household chores. “At some point in time, I guess I thought it was unlikely,â€￾ she said. “My dating statistics didn’t look like I would end up marrying an Asian guy.â€￾

Ouch. Now why do you think there are so many "angry Asian males" out there.

But instead of starting a "Boycott Asian-American Women" movement, the Asian men in the article just married the Asian-American women in the end. Good job gentlemen. But we still have a long way to go.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Return to Asian American Issues