Updates from Winston's Return to the Philippines!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

eurobrat wrote:
OutWest wrote: Tens of thousands of years? LOL There is no recorded history, there is no archeology or any other evidence to suggest such a thing. I would not expect Filipinos to be renouncing Catholicism anytime soon. The characteristics you talk about would also be found in some indigenous groups in South America...

Historians see the Indus Valley civilization as the root of Hinduism and that was about 3000BC with the early Vedas
compiled about 1200BC and the Brahmanical aspects of Hinduism being developed a few hundred years after that.
India itself has perhaps 3500 years of Hindu history.

A synoptic peak and pre-Spanish Animism in the Philippines may be found here: http://asiapacificuniverse.com/pkm/spirit.htm

To assume Hindu origins of these characteristics is a big leap in logic without first looking at what is already known of Animism as it was practiced in the Philippines.

Outwest
I agree I don't know where he's coming up with this stuff.
Ok, ok, I messed up with my tens of thousands, because India had people as far as 11000 years old. Maybe it was not yet Hinduism or Buddhism but still something similar because those religions had to have come from some other proto-religion. So, what I am aiming at is that the mentality of the Filipinos is still very Eastern, Hindu-Buddhist-like as well as their behavior and even though they are nominally Catholic, in 80-90 percent of cases, their patterns of behavior are not like those of Italians or Spaniards or the Irish. There is no religious intolerance, there is no deep guilt and other such characteristics. They behave very much like Thais or Cambodians or Balinese. That was my point.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Lad

it took you decades to figure out that Filipinos are not like Italians/ Spaniards/Irish...and that they are more similar to other Asians?

Lets see if Winston can figure it out in less than a decade:)
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Banano wrote:Lad

it took you decades to figure out that Filipinos are not like Italians/ Spaniards/Irish...and that they are more similar to other Asians?

It takes no less than two weeks to figure out that Filipinos are indeed the Latin Americans of Asia. Then of course one can take a lifetime to refine that intuition with all sorts of subtleties.

Winston can only continue to revel in his self-referential sense of superiority as long as his only interaction is with bar girls from poor, uneducated backgrounds. Decent Filipinos will continue to shun him just like decent Taiwanese have been doing in the past. And he will continue to put that down to the Universe of Mr. Murphy being fiercely against him.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Banano wrote:Lad

it will be like 31 points why rp is not a civilized country. does winston even know how romanic folks are? so it will be like why rp is not like russia.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

mAYBE the question should be: Do folks know how romantic Winston is?

Rock
tell us what happened after 6 hour meeting, did Winnie end up in hooker-bar with the girl or ladyboy?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Billy wrote:
Banano wrote:....

it will be like 31 points why rp is not a civilized country.
Good one!
:lol:
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Winnie dont you rmbr when you compared Filipinos to animals in one of your numerous points you made about country and its people?

and now you are back and enjoying yourself with these people?
CerealKiller
Freshman Poster

Post by CerealKiller »

Last edited by CerealKiller on October 10th, 2013, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noog
Freshman Poster

Post by noog »

CerealKiller wrote:

With that in mind, do any of you have suggestions for places that might be worthwhile? I do a lot of photography and thus my travel generally centres around it. Heard about the rice terraces, but that said, I've been to Yunnan in China, Bali in Indonesia, Sapa in Vietnam.... still thinking of going to Baguio though. Beaches.... grand vistas would be the key words. Something along the lines of Lombok or some of the better Thai beaches. Colourful street life: I've seen my fair share in places like India and Sri Lanka, but I'm certainly okay with more of that...
For photography in Philippines, I think you may like Picnic Grove and Taal Lake in Tagaytay. I'm not much of a photographer so I could not do it the proper justice, but it was pretty scenic.
"Take a bold and unconventional action, then you'll find out who your friends are."

"Trying to find good American women is like trying to ice skate in a volcano."
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 27th, 2013, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 27th, 2013, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CerealKiller
Freshman Poster

Post by CerealKiller »

xiongmao wrote:So Winston lusts after white legged Chinese ladies all year... then goes to the Phillies?

Man, I don't get it.
LOL well put xiongmao. I guess for Winston, guaranteed P4P trumps everything else. This could be a clue as to why he's still not married, despite the fact that he already has a son.

Speaking of which, I kind of want to see what his son looks like. Anyone else curious about this??
CerealKiller
Freshman Poster

Post by CerealKiller »

eurobrat wrote:Pictures? Hello???
My guess is that they're having some sort of week-long testosterone-fueled orgy. Sticky fingers and keyboards don't mix...

God bless you guys. But yeah, pics.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Post by ryanx »

Philippines is certainly a fascinating country...I have just come back from a three weeks vacation in and around Davao. Having lived in Taiwan for the past four years the friendliness of the people and general ease of talking to them and bantering was a breath of fresh air. Except for the ability to get by in English and hordes of available Filipina cuties, just about everything else sucks! which of course has been covered extensively.

When I came back to Taiwan everything looked clean and high quality and the food unbelievable and the girls much prettier - but as stuck up as ever - and nothing beats the almost complete feeling of safety in Taiwan. I had the same feeling about Japan compared to Taiwan when I vacationed there

For those going to Davao I can highly recommend a hotel called Midori (http://www.midoriinn.com Tel: +63 82 300 0101) Very clean, well run, safe and quiet for 11000 pesos a night for a single room. Air-conditioned, Wifi in the room and choice of free breakfast. A 10 minutes walk to the city centre and a really nice park called The People's Park.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Thanks ryanx. As you know I'm in Southern China now, and I really want to do a side trip to the Phillies. Comparing and contrasting will be good.

I guess we have the same problems with humidity, noise, pollution and general chaos. However, the food here is very delicious and problems from eating the food are quite rare.

There are some extraordinarily beautiful girls here. The neighborhood on the other side of the freeway is not clean, the road is full of potholes, and there is the general Asian chaos (cars, bikes, kids, dogs, cooking, shouting). Yet there are perfect 10's tottering around on platform heels and wearing tiny dresses. I gotta get some photos, but I have to be a little careful round here. If you guys could only see inside my head!

The problem is that next to nobody speaks English here. So until my Mandarin and Hanzi reading are up to speed, it's exceedingly hard to do anything here. Hell, I couldn't even manage to buy shampoo, so how the heck am I supposed to chat up a lady?

The other thing is that China has only recently opened up to the outside world. Very few people have even thought that it's possible to marry a foreigner.

Still, things are looking up. With 3 Chinese teachers my progress should be rapid. After all, these classes are designed for foreigners who want to study degree level subjects that are taught in Chinese.

And today I managed to pay the deposit for my rental apartment - the boss even gave me a banana to eat!

That's hard assed work though, and if you want an easier life, just go to the Phillies.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.