Falcon is a strange bird but we can learn from him (Photos)

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Re: Falcon is a strange bird but we can learn from him (Phot

Post by Falcon »

2. But the bird man himself is a salt-of-the-earth at heart. Here in Asia, he lacks confidence around young mainstream girls but feels energized around poor and marginalized ones who make him feel attractive and special. He also sympathizes with them for often being looked down on or ignored by the broader society. And he is even attracted to them physically. He appreciates short, dark, and mature types, the opposite of what most guys here are drawn too.
"Mainstream girls": Taipei is a bubble. In East Asia (especially SE), the poor, dark ladies number in the hundreds of millions and would definitely be "mainstream." By far, they would greatly outnumber the types that Rock would call "mainstream," who may number somewhere in the tens of millions.

It was in Mexico that I had first discovered how wonderful these rural women are. Of course, my parents were completely befuddled by why I had to choose rural Mexican women over the thousands of classy urban US female classmates who would surround me on a daily basis. Rock's ex-gf had the same perspective.

- In Taipei, he was strongly attracted to his grandma's 33 yr. old 4'11" inch Indonesian care giver whom he bonded with during his days here. That's all he could seem to talk about over half the time we hung out. Of course she dug him too, big time!
What else could I talk about, the airheaded divas of Taiwan? After I learned about the Indonesian maid's story and how my family was treating her like crap, those classy, high-standard Taiwanese women just didn't seem to matter to me anymore. She showed me her diary in Indonesian, which really touched my heart. She even cared for my grandfather up to his death, and prayed for him a lot too, with Islamic supplication prayers known du'as. Plus, she really doesn't like shopping, putting on makeup, or other activities that Taipei women love.

On the other hand, Rock's Taiwanese ex would talk about superficials like how Monkro and I need to have more "confidence," and about how Rock and I could both work on the way we dress. I'm not criticizing her at all, but I'm giving you guys an example of how the average "mainstream" Taiwanese young female tends to operate.

celery2010 wrote:So do you prefer Filipinas/Indonesians or Mainland Chinese women?

Filipinas/Indonesians are generally friendlier, but you can find very friendly (and interesting) Mainland Chinese women as well.
I wouldn't lump Filipinas and Indonesians together, since their cultures differ drastically from each other. Indonesians are influenced more by the Indians and Arabs, while Filipinos are influenced more by the Spanish and Americans. Indonesians are friendly, but not exactly bubbly the way Filipinas are. Filipinas are more like Latinas. Indonesian Muslims vibe a bit like Thais and Cambodians.

That being said, mainland Chinese women are a completely different breed altogether too. Comparing them with SE Asia is like comparing apples and oranges. I currently lean somewhat more towards SE Asian women.

7. What can we learn from Falcon? Well, if we can't eliminate our desires ala the Buddhist past, perhaps we can adjust them to something much easier to realize. He has the uncanny ability to look beyond the appearance and material aspects of people and see them at the soul level.
I did read a lot about Buddhist, Hindu, and Transcendentalist philosophy while in high school and college. I would recommend reading Hindu/Buddhist religious scriptures such as the Dhammapada, Bhagavad Gita, and Upanishads, as well as writings by Ralph Waldo Emerson, Rabindranath Tagore, and Thich Nhat Hanh.
Last edited by Falcon on September 17th, 2013, 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

3. When it comes to Taipei women, he seems to be put-off by what he calls 公主病 from Jay Zhou or princess syndrome. He doesn't like how the protocol in places like Xinyi or the Eastern District is for guys to dress smart, carry their date's bags, open car doors for her, and act the refined and polite gentleman. He likes it casual country style where girls are completely down to earth, serving and deferring to their men old school style. BTW, when I visited his grandma's house, his Indonesian crush made us rice plates of some great tasting spicy Indonesian food. That's the kinda thing which excites Falcon.
Although many rural women would go out of their way to help their man with little things like a waitress or even maid, ultimately they'd often take the lead and be very strong-willed. For instance, I had a Mexican date from rural Puebla who would grab my hand very firmly, lead me down the street, and choose restaurants for me without me having much say, even though she would also bring me water and food. My Isaan lady would put food on my plate and clean my room, but she would choose which restaurants and temples we'd go to when we went on outings together.

It's vice versa for many urban women. Urban women tend to expect their male dates to lead, even though the lady is treated like the princess with the man carrying things for her. There's not much of a chance that an urban female date would handpick day trip destinations, restaurants, and other things the way some of those strong-willed rural women might. They'd expect me to lead and "be the man" even if I'm very unfamiliar with my surroundings, and it would be more practical for her to lead.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Falcon wrote:
3. When it comes to Taipei women, he seems to be put-off by what he calls 公主病 from Jay Zhou or princess syndrome. He doesn't like how the protocol in places like Xinyi or the Eastern District is for guys to dress smart, carry their date's bags, open car doors for her, and act the refined and polite gentleman. He likes it casual country style where girls are completely down to earth, serving and deferring to their men old school style. BTW, when I visited his grandma's house, his Indonesian crush made us rice plates of some great tasting spicy Indonesian food. That's the kinda thing which excites Falcon.
Although many rural women would go out of their way to help their man with little things like a waitress or even maid, ultimately they'd often take the lead and be very strong-willed. For instance, I had a Mexican date from rural Puebla who would grab my hand very firmly, lead me down the street, and choose restaurants for me without me having much say, even though she would also bring me water and food. My Isaan lady would put food on my plate and clean my room, but she would choose which restaurants and temples we'd go to when we went on outings together.

It's vice versa for many urban women. Urban women tend to expect their male dates to lead, even though the lady is treated like the princess with the man carrying things for her. There's not much of a chance that an urban female date would handpick day trip destinations, restaurants, and other things the way some of those strong-willed rural women might. They'd expect me to lead and "be the man" even if I'm very unfamiliar with my surroundings, and it would be more practical for her to lead.
Falcon - I think it varies from woman to woman. I lived in Udon, which is obviously Issan, for a year. I've been with several good Issan women, one in particular for almost a year. The only time they'd lead me to a restaurant is if I asked where we should go. Otherwise, it was "up to you," or I just told them where we were going or what we were eating.

My wife's from Surat but has lived in Bangkok for 15 years. She never tells me where we're going or just takes me somewhere, I always have to choose. Also, I rarely put my food on my plate. Usually, if she's home or she's cooking, my meal is put on my plate for me, or if I'm eating at my desk, she or one of my kids will bring it to me. I don't mind them feeding me or choosing the restaurant if I ask or don't know the place, but I will either discuss it with them or just go where I want. Thai women - or the ones I've been with - never complain about a restaurant if it's Thai or Japanese.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Yes AmericanInBangkok, it does depend on the woman. But from my experiences, the strong-willed woman who leads the guy is much more likely to come from a rural background than an urban one, or an ethnic minority one where matrilineality and other female-oriented traditions dominate.

e. Talking on the phone to someone is a totally different dynamic than talking to someone in person. And talking to someone who is a stranger is very different from talking to someone who was just introduced to you by someone else who knows her well. Don't compare apples to oranges.
Good point, but real-life conversations that I've had with some mainland Chinese women are completely like the very free-flowing phone conversations that Winston and I had with his Chinese women. Also, one woman that he put me on the phone with was from a part of rural Hunan province that I had been to myself. I could easily put a picture behind that voice too. And Winston didn't figure out that she's actually an ethnic Yao (not Han) until I asked her that night.

The young Chinese women I knew in Yunnan, Guizhou, and Guangxi were far, far easier to talk to than young Taipei women. But elderly Taiwanese women are just as friendly as their mainland Chinese counterparts, if not even friendlier on average.

The airheaded divas of Taiwan, on the other hand:
I don't want a boyfriend. I need a real man.

anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Falcon wrote:Yes AmericanInBangkok, it does depend on the woman. But from my experiences, the strong-willed woman who leads the guy is much more likely to come from a rural background than an urban one, or an ethnic minority one where matrilineality and other female-oriented traditions dominate.

e. Talking on the phone to someone is a totally different dynamic than talking to someone in person. And talking to someone who is a stranger is very different from talking to someone who was just introduced to you by someone else who knows her well. Don't compare apples to oranges.
Good point, but real-life conversations that I've had with some mainland Chinese women are completely like the very free-flowing phone conversations that Winston and I had with his Chinese women. Also, one woman that he put me on the phone with was from a part of rural Hunan province that I had been to myself. I could easily put a picture behind that voice too. And Winston didn't figure out that she's actually an ethnic Yao (not Han) until I asked her that night.

The young Chinese women I knew in Yunnan, Guizhou, and Guangxi were far, far easier to talk to than young Taipei women. But elderly Taiwanese women are just as friendly as their mainland Chinese counterparts, if not even friendlier on average.

The airheaded divas of Taiwan, on the other hand:
I don't want a boyfriend. I need a real man.

I don't agree, at least in the case of rural Thai and Cambodian women. I don't know about Chinese because my experience with them is limited. How many Thai or other non-Chinese rural women are you referring to Falcon? Could it be that this is a Chinese thing? Whether due to cultural norms or not, in the case of Thai women (and the two Cambodians), all expected me to tell them where we're going and even what we're doing. That goes for in the sack as well. The only exceptions were when I had no idea about the restaurants in the area and I asked them where we should go. I'm not the kind of guy who is led around. The Issan women waited on me hand and foot but when it comes to making the decisions, I've always made them. Perhaps it's my attitude or personality, I don't know, but what I've been told by numerous Asian women is they expect the man to call the shots. So I call em...
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:I don't agree, at least in the case of rural Thai and Cambodian women. I don't know about Chinese because my experience with them is limited. How many Thai or other non-Chinese rural women are you referring to Falcon? Could it be that this is a Chinese thing? Whether due to cultural norms or not, in the case of Thai women (and the two Cambodians), all expected me to tell them where we're going and even what we're doing. That goes for in the sack as well. The only exceptions were when I had no idea about the restaurants in the area and I asked them where we should go. I'm not the kind of guy who is led around. The Issan women waited on me hand and foot but when it comes to making the decisions, I've always made them. Perhaps it's my attitude or personality, I don't know, but what I've been told by numerous Asian women is they expect the man to call the shots. So I call em...
The reason is simple. You don't look like the type who's gonna be bossed around, from your looks to your attitude/personality to your writing style.
http://www.anamericaninbangkok.com/about.html

But I've been "mothered around" by several Mexican, Chinese, Thai, and other women, as well as the Indonesian woman mentioned at the start of this thread. This was especially true of some of the rural Mexican women I knew, who would often be in their mid-20's.

My lady from Sisaket Province would lead me around town, telling me which buses and songthaews to get onto, telling me she wants to eat sticky rice for the evening, and so on. I really like having a lady as my tour guide / "mom" and not have to do 100% of the decision-making. :P
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Falcon wrote:
anamericaninbangkok wrote:I don't agree, at least in the case of rural Thai and Cambodian women. I don't know about Chinese because my experience with them is limited. How many Thai or other non-Chinese rural women are you referring to Falcon? Could it be that this is a Chinese thing? Whether due to cultural norms or not, in the case of Thai women (and the two Cambodians), all expected me to tell them where we're going and even what we're doing. That goes for in the sack as well. The only exceptions were when I had no idea about the restaurants in the area and I asked them where we should go. I'm not the kind of guy who is led around. The Issan women waited on me hand and foot but when it comes to making the decisions, I've always made them. Perhaps it's my attitude or personality, I don't know, but what I've been told by numerous Asian women is they expect the man to call the shots. So I call em...
The reason is simple. You don't look like the type who's gonna be bossed around, from your looks to your attitude/personality to your writing style.
http://www.anamericaninbangkok.com/about.html

But I've been "mothered around" by several Mexican, Chinese, Thai, and other women, as well as the Indonesian woman mentioned at the start of this thread. This was especially true of some of the rural Mexican women I knew, who would often be in their mid-20's.
But from my experiences, the strong-willed woman who leads the guy is much more likely to come from a rural background than an urban one, or an ethnic minority one where matrilineality and other female-oriented traditions dominate.
So then if this is the case, then doesn't a female leading the male around have more to do with the male's personality as opposed to the women being from an ethnic minority, rural vs urban, etc.? I'm trying to understand your logic.

You know you're mothered around as you put it - you're okay with this? Or is it so deeply ingrained you don't have any desire to change this?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:So then if this is the case, then doesn't a female leading the male around have more to do with the male's personality as opposed to the women being from an ethnic minority, rural vs urban, etc.? I'm trying to understand your logic.

You know you're mothered around as you put it - you're okay with this? Or is it so deeply ingrained you don't have any desire to change this?
It's both. From what I've seen, if the male's personality isn't that strong, AND the female isn't from an urban or strongly patriarchal background, then the lady is much more likely to lead. In Latin America and Southeast Asia, especially rural areas, women often run households and run the finances. Many SE Asian cultures are known to be matrilineal too.

Women would never go anywhere close to leading me around while I was going to school in the US. Rock's upper-middle Filipina gf also expected me to run the whole show, which I didn't really want to do since she knew Manila well, not me.

Of course I like being mothered around. Why not? This is perfect for lazy guys who like to be shown around. I'm not the kind of guy who agrees with a lot of mainstream norms anyways.
deasil875
Freshman Poster

Post by deasil875 »

Winston wrote:Rock,
With all due respect, come on now. You're smarter than that. Why are you using the typical shaming tactics of American women? I could say that you lack confidence to approach American girls too, but we all know that's a pure myth and shaming tactic.

Furthermore, you err in a number of ways. Pointing them out is like shooting fish in a barrel.

1) First, Taiwanese girls do not find confidence attractive. That's an American shaming tactic that has no reality or substance. Hardly any Taiwanese guys are confident. They are passive, docile, soft spoken, humble, non-confrontational, and not brave at all. Yet they get girlfriends. Explain that. It has NOTHING to do with confidence. You have no basis for saying that.

I have tons of confidence, yet Taiwanese girls don't find me attractive for that. If I'm not their type and they don't like my look and vibe, then confidence doesn't matter. Looks are surface deep. After that, all that matters is chemistry, connection and synergy.

2) Second, you can't say that Falcon is not confident. No way. He is WAY more confident than any Taiwanese guy I know. How many Taiwanese, or Americans, would venture down into Mexico, especially alone? No way. Taiwanese and Americans live in FEAR and consider Mexico to be dangerous. You know that. We all know that. Give Falcon some credit for his bravery. Not even I would have the guts to venture down to Mexico. It takes GUTS to be a nonconformist too.

3) Third, when Falcon was at my house, we talked to three mainland Chinese women on the phone. He talked to them for a long time during our three way conversation and was able to hold a long enjoyable smooth conversation with them. The conversation was natural and down to earth. How was he able to do that if he has no confidence? lol. Come on now. Get real. It's not Falcon's fault if young Taiwanese girls aren't easy to hold conversations with.

When I introduced Rock to a nice girl I knew in Taipei, he reported that when he met her, they had nothing to talk about. She did not put much into the conversation. So it went nowhere and was awkward. Does that mean that Rock lacks confidence too? lol

So you see Rock, you've made two basic ERRORS. I think you owe him an apology for trying to shame him like that, even if you didn't mean it that way. You still came across the wrong way.

It's a shame that in your religious need to defend Taiwan at all costs, you are willing to distort the truth. That makes you less credible in my view, even though you are credible in other areas. For some reason, you defend Taiwan like a Christian defends the Bible. My dad does this too. Both you and my dad refuse to admit that Taiwanese girls are unfriendly to strangers, unapproachable and stuck up, no matter how much evidence you see to prove it.

Deep down you KNOW that's true. But for some reason, you have a need to whitewash it. It's ridiculous. Even Sean, our friend in Taiwan who has been there for 10 years, admits that me, Falcon and others are RIGHT about Taiwan. Unlike you, he has no religious need to hide the truth. Momopi admits the truth too.

The real TRUTH, that you try to whitewash over is this:

Falcon just doesn't vibe with them. He is on a different wavelength than them, and both he and they can feel it. He's not a conformist who is trying to be accepted. He does what he wants. He does not try to fit into cliques and groups. People like him (and all of us here) are different than the mainstream in Taiwan or the US. Most of us here would not vibe well in Taiwan either. The type of guys who fit into Taiwan do not usually like our behavior and tone on this forum. They prefer passiveness and political correctness.

To vibe with Taiwan girls, you have to:

- Be conformist. Not a freethinker.
- Be politically correct without unpopular views.
- Be group oriented, meaning that you seek to fit into groups because you have no individual identity.
- Be narrow-minded, not broad-minded.
- Live in fear and paranoia, which is reflected in your vibe. This means you are uncomfortable talking to strangers.
- Have a judgmental shallow mentality that says "ewww" to anything or anyone different from you.

I think pretty much all of us here would not vibe with the above. We aren't on that kind of wavelength.

The truth is, Taiwanese girls DO NOT like cold approaches. They've admitted that and told me so. It's common knowledge. 30 million Taiwanese people will admit that if asked. They prefer meeting people through classmates and workmates. To meet people in Taiwan, you go to school or get a job and connect through there. That's the way it's always been. Outside of that, they are uncomfortable with strangers. We all know that. Even you do, whether you admit it or not. The truth is the truth. It is wrong and unethical for you to try to deceive people about that.

Also, Taiwanese girls are now spoiled, bitchy and act like divas. Totally airheadish too. We all know that. Sean has reported that too. And many in the older generation of Taiwan complain about this too. The young generation's values and character have gone to shit. It's obvious for anyone to see. But for some reason, you have a need to defend it. You might as well defend American women too. The point is, that's not Falcon's fault. And it has NOTHING to do with his confidence. He simply doesn't vibe with divas, airheads, shallow people, stuck up people, snobby people, narrow people, degenerate people, cold cliquish people, materialistic people, conformists, and people who are NOT down to earth.

What's hypocritical is that you also cannot get any hot girls in Taiwan either. You only date the women that local guys don't want. So doesn't that mean that you lack confidence to get them as well? lol
Going to chime in on this one from an anecdotal evidence standpoint. All of the Taiwanese females I've had in my past, dating or courting, we're very put off by my confidence. At that time in my life I was in the application process for the LAPD, and when they found out I was going to be a police officer, it was the kiss of death. The one I was in a relationship with even threatened to break up with me if I did not reconsider my career choice, and how it "wouldn't be good enough for her parents" because being a police officer is "dangerous". Bottom line: Taiwanese females have a problem with male authority, especially if you are in a line of work where you are in a position of it. They want to pussywhip their man to be this docile creature. Thats bad news. Biologically, men are not programmed to be unconfident and not assured. Every guy I've known that was with a female that turned him into a milquetoast wimpy yes man was a former shell of himself, and ended up very unhappy.

I've found it to be the total opposite with Filipinas and Japanese. They expect you to wear the pants and be the man in the relationship. Masculinity turns them on.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Many men seem to worry way too much about the women want. Start thinking about what YOU want. I'm not saying be a selfish pig but all this, she doesn't like when I do this, she wants me to do this or that, she doesn't like it if I do this...what about what I WANT?! She doesn't have to like everything, but she needs to accept it. If she has valid reasons why she thinks something isn't acceptable, then she can learn how to discuss the issue and plead her case.

Personally, I do not want a woman dictating shit to me. I'm willing to discuss matters with her but once she starts acting like she's the boss, I'm going to tell her to shut the f**k up or I'm outta here. Sometimes you need to be willing to lose a woman in order to keep her in line or to keep your place as the MAN!

One thing I told my wife when we got married - actually maybe it was when we first became exclusive.

"We can be equal or I can be the head of our family. But other than in an extreme situation, you will never be the head of our family." To paraphrase...
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Why would you want your girlfriend or date to act like your mother anyways? That's just weird. When i'm about to slip off the panties the last thing I want to think of is someone as a mother hen.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Repatriate wrote:Why would you want your girlfriend or date to act like your mother anyways? That's just weird. When i'm about to slip off the panties the last thing I want to think of is someone as a mother hen.
We all know you've got a thing for schoolgirls. :lol: Hence, your inability to imagine the opposite scenario. :P
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Falcon wrote:
Repatriate wrote:Why would you want your girlfriend or date to act like your mother anyways? That's just weird. When i'm about to slip off the panties the last thing I want to think of is someone as a mother hen.
We all know you've got a thing for schoolgirls. :lol: Hence, your inability to imagine the opposite scenario. :P
I think it's supposed to be a serious question...

I don't get it. I don't get the whole dominatrix gig either...if you're a man, why don't you BE THE MAN? I want to dominate, not be dominated.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Please also see Part 2 / The Sequel:

Indonesian ladies (trip report with photos)
viewtopic.php?t=20792
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote: ck this: If the Nazis had invaded Taiwan, do you think the Taiwanese could fearlessly fight for five months, tooth and nail, to defend Taipei from the most powerful army in the world? HELL NO!!! The Taiwanese would surrender immediately without a fight. In fact, Japan captured Taiwan easily during WWII. And if communist China invaded Taiwan now, it would win easily.
X_X;;

Who told you that Japan captured Taiwan during WW2, and do you know what side the Taiwanese fought for in WW2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_ ... Serviceman

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd_sjhsqigQ#t=137[/youtube]

LOL nice, Momopi!

PS Falcon makes a cameo appearance in the second video at 2:58